Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had my fj for about a month now and everytime I fill up its so difficult because it wont seal...at first I thought it was a isolated incident but every gas station I go to does the same thing.

Today I was filling up and the gas nozzle started to shake it was weird...

Has anyone had this problem befre?

·
Registered
132 Posts
it can be tricky at some stations for me. I have found that turning the handle so the hose is facing about 4 oclock works best at finicky pumps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have this problem as well. I wonder if it's temperature related, as I live in Utah and gas up at 5 AM because of my commute. It's usually pretty cold. I also think it has to do with the angle of the gas fill line, because I've had the same problem with my Grand Cherokee, and the gas line in that rig is also very steep. I'm not sure how I would go about correcting it. For the time being, I just stand there freezing my butt off trying to get the pressure just right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i doubt its cause of the temp cause its pretty hot right now in so cal its like 80 degrees

@2010 its as annoying as it sounds believe me

·
Registered
434 Posts
ive had my fj for about a month now and everytime I fill up its so difficult because it wont seal...at first I thought it was a isolated incident but every gas station I go to does the same thing.

Today I was filling up and the gas nozzle started to shake it was weird...

Has anyone had this problem befre?
When you say "It won't seal " Did you mean the gas cap ? not closing properly after fill up ?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
The filler neck makes an odd angle; it is a very common complaint that the automatic shut-off on gas pumps kicks in too often and too soon. Mine does it, but it varies from pump to pump. Sometimes it helps to tilt the nozzle up as far as it will go. Sometimes I just hold the pump trigger by hand, pump a little slower, and don't use the auto shut-off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It happens to mine as well, but not at every station. I usually back out the hose a little at a time until I can use the auto-shut off. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is just one of the quirks of owning an FJ...we all go through this little problem. You will find that stations with fast moving pumps will cause more frequent early shut-offs than stations with slower moving ones. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWESOME! thanks guys I guess it goes with the territory!

Im liking this forum already professional people and no trolls!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts