Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was removing my Budbuilts today so the dealer can work on my rig and one of the anchor nuts broke off from the welds inside the frame, Luckily there was enough room to stick a finger in throught the top and push the nut out a bottom hole. The problem is it is one of the bolts that attach the angled bars that go from the frame to the crossmember right where the exhaust pipe drops down and crosses over so I think it's a structural anti flex area. I don't think it's possible to re weld it. I was thinking JB weld but I dont want it to get on the threads and super glue the bolt into there in case I need to drop the skid again. Any Ideas??

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
mmhmm, I have the same problem with a slider bolt and a recovery point bolt in the rear. Take it to Toyota and see if they will help you out. It drives me crazy though that I have a missing slider bolt... :(

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mike, I don't know how much space available where the nut broke off but during ARB bumper installation there is something called captive nut assembly. It is a long stick of metal that has the nut attached at the end, you stick that into the frame and line it up with the bolt hole while you are inserting the bolt otherwise impossible job becomes very easy. I wonder you could spot weld the nut on a flexible metal with the end still readily available through the opening on the frame for the next time you have to remove the skids. Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am gonna get some JB weld putty and a coatanger. I'm gonna put the putty on the nut and slide it down the coathanger to line it up. bend the end of the coathanger then and pull it down firm. after I can use a toothpick to make sure the putty doesn't get in the way of the threads. If this works I'll give you a hand fixin yours Arien.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I think I am gonna get some JB weld putty and a coatanger. I'm gonna put the putty on the nut and slide it down the coathanger to line it up. bend the end of the coathanger then and pull it down firm. after I can use a toothpick to make sure the putty doesn't get in the way of the threads. If this works I'll give you a hand fixin yours Arien.
cool, let us/me know how it works. the big problem I have though is that the one for the rear recovery point is still attatched to the bolt and is just kinda stuck there. the one for my slider just broke off and is sitting in my cup holder.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the big problem I have though is that the one for the rear recovery point is still attatched to the bolt and is just kinda stuck there.
I'm thinkin Vice grips and a dremmel with cutting disk for that. getting a new nut in may be a tad trickey but My brain has been on overtime about this so I'm pretty sure it's doable.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I'm thinkin Vice grips and a dremmel with cutting disk for that. getting a new nut in may be a tad trickey but My brain has been on overtime about this so I'm pretty sure it's doable.
I am just going to have to hack saw it out. The problem is that there is really no way to get the old nut out of there or put a new one in

1 - 11 of 11 Posts