Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been a long time lurker here with no FJ. I currently own a 2008 2 door Jeep JK Wrangler...

My dilemma is this. I LOVE the Jeep. I LOVE the look, the amount of available mods with no end in sight, the removable top and doors ect..

I have spend several grand modding my Jeep and its paid off so I have A LOT of money in it, HOWEVER it has also been a huge pain in the ass!

The suspension on these things are crap, and while I have never had death wobble the Jeep is harsh as hell. It shudders and shakes over each bump and you feel EVERYTHING in the road!

Its my only vehicle and in the three plus years I have owned it I only have 36K on it because it sucks to drive. The steering is sloppy, it wanders and also the reasons listed above. I have tried EVERYTHING to remedy this..

Replaced multiple steering boxes and steering shafts, tried three different brands of shocks, got beefier control arms, upgraded the ball joints, tie rod and drag link, tired many different aftermarket steering stabilizers. Replaced stock junk ball joints with expensive aftermarket ones, welded washers to ovaled out track bar holes and got an aftermarket trackbar.. all works very little or works well but over time gets bad again.

I just recently put more friendly street tires on and got rid of my all terrains. This helped a lot but the Jeep still feels shaky over bumps and potholes.

If the Jeep had IFS and no DW wobble worry I would be keeping it no doubt, however that is not the case and I cringe over every pothole, wondering if this will be "the one" that sets off death wobble.

No I have a deposit down on a NSSE FJ at my local dealer but I have been blowing them off cause I was not sure if I wanted it and my chance to get it will soon pass if I don't purchase it like NOW.

So my options are:

1. Keep the Jeep and get a second used car for better mileage and to take on long trips (anything except around town)

2. Or trade the Jeep in the on the FJ, was offered 16K but with mods and repairs I am close to 40K on this Jeep.

I just can't decide. I know the FJ will last longer and be better and I don't do any serious wheeling (hell Im afraid to take this Jeep offroad at all with all the parts breaking just from daily driving) but as I said the FJ is not a Jeep..

Its bigger, no removable top and doors, much less aftermarket, and I have no idea how to work on or fix IFS which I like about my Jeep (I like working on it myself).

Im just not sure what to do anymore. I am up at night over this but I need to decide NOW!

I ask here, because I know people here had Jeeps before and that you guys are more open minded that the Jeep forum folks. They will defend the Jeep no matter how crappy the parts/reliability are.

So what do you guys think if you were in my shoes, knowing how much I love the look/modding of the Wrangler?

I don't want to lose my hobby but at the same time I know I can actually take the FJ on long trips for camping/hiking and maybe even off road since I won't be as worried about DW and problems. However I will lose so much money, blood, sweat and tears I put into it and I feel like I will regret it all summer when I see Jeeps with their tops and doors off.

Any help is appreciated as I am about to miss the boat on the FJ if I don't decide VERY SOON and this dealer is getting pissed. (rightfully so)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Not an easy decision i guess. If that thing keeps breaking on you, why keep it? Personally i would never feel comfortable with the thought "ok, i am going on the long trip, what will break now" lol
Also, i think there is big aftermarket for the FJ, maybe not as big as for Jeep, but significant enough not to be an issue. All areas are pretty much covered. Anything can be done with money in my opinion.
Big question is.... do you two "click".... you and FJ? Does it feel right? Do you enjoy it?
Bias aside, if vehicle is unreliable, it should go, end of story. Just my 02c

·
Banned
7,381 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My guess is you have a 2008 or above year jeep and since a dealer will give you $16,000 that means you could probably get $20,000 for it in the open market.

If I was you since you obviously love jeeps as I do would be to sell it and buy a used 2005 or 2006 rubicon and have a few thousand left over to make it your own. You obviously don't drive but 10,000 miles a year, love the top down and doors off wind in your face that the FJ will never satisfy. If your looking for a capable off road vehicle that is reliable and cool looking buy an FJ.

I would never replace my jeep with an Fj because I like doors off, top down wind in my face. If they made an FJ convertible with roll bars like a jeep I would own it.

Good luck

My 2005 rides awesome and never breaks..

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is you have a 2008 or above year jeep and since a dealer will give you $16,000 that means you could probably get $20,000 for it in the open market.

If I was you since you obviously love jeeps as I do would be to sell it and buy a used 2005 or 2006 rubicon and have a few thousand left over to make it your own. You obviously don't drive but 10,000 miles a year, love the top down and doors off wind in your face that the FJ will never satisfy. If your looking for a capable off road vehicle that is reliable and cool looking buy an FJ.

I would never replace my jeep with an Fj because I like doors off, top down wind in my face. If they made an FJ convertible with roll bars like a jeep I would own it.

Good luck

My 2005 rides awesome and never breaks..

If your Jeep works fine what made you decide on the FJ?

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My girlfriend talked me into the FJ after my sequoia caught fire. I was going to buy another sequoia but it is a cool looking vehicle.

I still own my TJ Wrangler and will never sell it and am lucky to only have to use it for fun. My FJ is my daily driver and winter vehicle.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The big question is what does an FJ Cruiser mean to you? Is it something you dream about? While taking a piss, do you think about what your FJ is doing outside right now? Do you have creepy dreams where you and your FJ are out on a date, with each other? Answer that first, and that will help you make the next decision, What would be the smart thing to do?

This is probably sacrilege here, but, it is probably safe to say a factor for your jeep failing is it's your daily driver. So if you take that out of the equation it probably wont break as much. I have no idea about your finances, but I know mine, and they suck, a lot, so thinking of your problem in my own shoes.... keep the jeep. Buy a "cheap" (10k or less) daily driver car. Gas is b!tch right now. If it wasn't for the fact that my FJ Cruiser is literally my realistic dream car (there are a tone of vehicles I want but will never own, Shelby Series 1) as long as driving her is doable, I'll keep doing it.

So in short, unless you're gaga over an FJ, keep your jeep, get a cheap, reliable, good MPG car, like a VW Jetta TDI.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
What I love the most about the FJ is that I find myself cruising at 80+ on the highway and thinking ..."wow this is sooo smooth, quite, and comfortable for having a 3" lift 305 MT's and offroad prowess and reliability that has never let me down."

And it is sexy as hell!

(BUT - my girfriend does have an 05 Jeep Wrangler...so I get the best of spring/summer/fall days as well.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My suggestion:

1. Get the deposit back on the FJ. There will be others later (unsure, however, on the availability of the NSSE...). It appears that the pressure of the NSSE deal is causing you to, perhaps, make a decision you are not fully ready to make.
2. Try to sell the Jeep on your own. I know that means you may be without a vehicle (if you sell the Jeep, but don't have an FJ yet), but you can always rent a car for a week or two...
3. If you are unable to sell the Jeep for the price you feel you need, then either bite-the-bullet (trade) or keep the Jeep.
4. I don't know if the Jeep mods have anything to do with your ongoing problems, but if they do you could maybe bring the Jeep back closer to stock, sell the mods and hopefully have a more reliable Jeep.

I owned a YJ (all stock w/4cyl, 5speed and hardtop) for about 10 years. I sold it with 185K on it. Yes, I replaced the usuals (ring/pinion, clutch, oil/fluid leaks), but it really was a lot of fun, too. I get the "Jeep Thing!" However, I really didn't look at the new Jeep Wranglers b/c I didn't want any reliability issues...as in, what you are dealing with today.

The FJ is a GREAT vehicle, but it is costly to purchase. Are you only looking at new FJs? A decent-mileaged used one may be closer to what you can, hopefully, get out of your Wrangler.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also have both I have a modded 2006 TJ that I love. I know that when I get in my jeep the sun is going to burn my bald head, it is noisy, bouncy and I love it. Thr is nothing like a good jeep rally to make you love it again when your ass hurts from bouncing all day. When I drive my Jeep every Jeep modded or not gives you the nod or thumbs up you dont get that in the FJ and will never.

I also love my FJ when I go mudding I am not hot and thr are plenty of mods that will put you bankrupt. To me getting the mods right is part of the fun. It took five years on both to get them the way I want.

I know this does not help so what I did was keep both and by a hybrid to drive to work.

·
Admin
8,446 Posts
I bought the FJ because I can't afford to have an off-road only rig. So I bought a rig I could lightly wheel and be a daily driver (the wife's daily driver. I drive the corolla to work and back). Once day's off arrive it's all mine though!!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys. My steering feels like junk again. It's rattling and clunking over every bump so at this point I'm not sure I have any choice but to get the FJ. Keep the opions coming.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hellbound13,

Honestly, I would keep the Jeep and buy a cheap high MPG daily driver. I know this might be sacrilege to say here, but an FJ will never be able to compete with a Jeep off-road, the same way a Jeep will never be able to compete with an FJ on-road. You aren't going to get the approach/departure angles, solid front axle, front locking diff., removable top and fold down windshield, turning radius, and visibility you will get in a Jeep. People buy FJs because they want the most capable off-road vehicle that still is good enough for a daily driver, has unique styling and is very convenient for outdoor trips that require cargo.

I suggest a Kia or something like it. Those new Kia Optima's are actually really nice. My fiancé bought a 2011 Sorento. You would think you are in a luxury vehicle inside that thing and it drives great as well. All that an a 100K mile warranty. I will probably get one at some point and relegate my FJ to off-road trips only.

If you put 40K into your Jeep, keep it. Whatever steering problems are vexing you, I am sure they can be fixed to make it good enough for off-road use. You are never going to get out of it all the money you put into the mods. Financially speaking, you would be foolish to sell it and get an FJ.

To quote a guy at my job who drives 50+ miles to work every day: "Once my current car dies, I am going to buy a new Chevy Cavalier for 10K. I will never change the oil or do a single service. When it dies, I will walk into the Chevy dealer and tell them to give me a new one!".

Thanks for the advice guys. My steering feels like junk again. It's rattling and clunking over every bump so at this point I'm not sure I have any choice but to get the FJ. Keep the opions coming.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I wouldn't ever tell you what to get, but I can tell you one thing. My 93 Wrangler was also untrustworthy. In the end, I got rid of it because of that very issue.

Don't keep what you don't trust.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I still have not decided. The NSSE is still on the lot but I see they took the reserved sticker off. Im down to the wire and really need to make a decision asap.

I figure this may be my only chance to get an NSSE, but the Wrangler will always be around and maybe the next model of Wrangler will get IFS..

At the same time it is hard to part with something I put so much money, blood, sweat and tears into..

Ugh!

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
I kinda agree with others, so if you are into "serious" recreational off-roading, keep the Jeep. But you need something reliable every day. I really get that.

So, if you keep the Jeep, just make sure you continue your friendships here. 'Cause when you break down, you can always call a FJ to come rescue you--but just keep in mind, we bring a camera too....

:lol:

Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you re-read my OP I am really not into any hardcore off roading at all. Hell, with as much as the Jeep falls apart just on the street I have been afraid to take it off road.

There are other reason I like the Jeep, top/doors, look, all the money in mods I have put in/easy to work on..

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm not harping on the Jeep. Just because you have so much invested in the Jeep does not make it worth that and is a poor reason to keep it. Why continue throwing good money after bad if there is no improvement (either performance or reliability)? I still own my 1995 Ford F250 Power Stroke. I know where you are at here, at what point do you cut bait or fish. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in your shoes just a week ago. I had a 99 Jeep TJ that I had put quite a bit of money into. It only had 58,000 miles on it (probably for the same reason yours had so low miles). Everything with it was a hastle. I like that the doors and top came off but, if I went out with the doors off and it got cold, it sucked. A lame example but I got to the point where having a Jeep was not worth it. It didnt have the room to put anything in it if we were going on a family trip either. Being a formere FJ owner (totaled the last one), I knew that was the best vehicle for me. I considered everything and without a doubt, I am sure I made a good decision. I love the FJ for every day driving and for off road use. Do what you think is best but, I dont think you will be disappointed with an FJ.

·
Registered
900 Posts
As a previous owner of 4 Jeeps, I understand your dilemma...I loved my Wrangler too, but if you are having problems with it, why hold on to it?

I really like the NSSEs and if they had them here in Alaska, I would probably try to make a deal on one - I suggest you buy it if you really like the look/feel/ride and then sell your Jeep on your own and try to recoup some of what you put into it...

If you really like the Jeep, there are thousands available - and maybe your next one will not have the problems you are currently having. Unfortunately the NSSEs are VERY limited in supply and as you said, it will not be around if you wait too long...my .02...

Good luck on your decision!!:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts