Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 cabin lights in our FJ, one in back and one in mid cabin. Both of the lights are not very bright but the modcabin light is basically useless.
Is this normal?
Has any body done anything to change the interior lighting?

·
Registered
276 Posts
yup, i got a cheaper version of the Putco ones you see all over the place. Super bright.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are 2 cabin lights in our FJ, one in back and one in mid cabin. Both of the lights are not very bright but the modcabin light is basically useless.
Is this normal?
I have a 2010 FJ, you are right, the dome lights are very dim and the map light is more of a night light. So off I go to dealextreme and got some leds: 2 x 24 leds for both dome lights and 2 x 12 leds for the map lights. For me these are the right brightness and price was right. The attach picture was taken in total darkness for a few seconds. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
You can upgrade the bulbs to PIAA or a similar brand they seem to be a little brighter or you can go the LED route but your lights will not dim like they do now when they are going off.
LED's do dim down just like the factory bulbs. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
LED's the only way IMO--

1. They ILLUMINATE the interior fully (at night)!

2. Don't get hot

3. The dim

4. VERY low voltage drain if left on

5. Last a LONG time (if you don't cheap out)

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is this normal?
I got 2 LED panels with 48LED bulbs on each panel for $6 TOTAL from Hong Kong compliments of eBay. I got them in about a week and a half, took a minute (literally) to pop them in and they make a HUUUGE difference IMO. Not possible to find a cheaper option! :rocker:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I got the cheap led 48 panels from ebay also and its brighter than hell in there don`t know how I lived without them.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback.
I have replacements from Oznium delivering next week.

I cant beleive it is May and we have snow falling. If I ever get to Philly, there is going to be one less rodent.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
which size fits the 2 front and rear overhead??

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered the 1.5x1.0 Ultra thin, cool white. It has 9 LED. It fits fine with plenty of room.
This is brighter than stock but it may not be bright enough. I may put this in the back and get the 1.5x5 with 14 LED for the front.
Measure your light cover to be sure but I think the 2x2 will also fit, that has 20 LED.

Shipping was quick.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ozniums did the trick for me, I ordered this one recently and it fit fine in the front dome fixture: 1 x Superflux LED Dome Light - 25 LED, Cool White

I had been running the 16 LED dome lites from Oznium for 2 years and when the 25 came in I soldered the front 16'er to the one in the back, so it is a 32 LED fixture now. It is very close to daylight in the cabin now. The blue tint to cool white is a bit strange, but you get used to it. I have a mirror light upgrade coming from Oz this week and will see if I can get a couple night shots with the camera of these nuclear LEDs. Not clear if the cheaper ones are the same as these, but I have yet to have one of the Ozniums fail.:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts