Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Diode Dynamics HID headlights for the Cruiser?

I haven't been able to find much info on this system.

I’d sure like to know more about them! I replaced my HID on my F150 with LED and I love them. I’d sure like to do the FJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
965 Posts
I asked @Diode Dynamics about the HIDs, and was told that it would be worth the wait for their LED's that will be coming out for the FJ this summer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Irving Zisman,

Thanks. Good to know.

I've installed HID's in previous vehicles with amazing results but for my Cruiser I want something more streamline than the large ballast that normally come with HID's. I've researched all various headlight types.. High output halogen bulbs which appear to have a short life span. LED's, but I'm drawn back by the heat sinks. Diode Dynamics advertises their HID's having slime-line ballast but they show no photos of the ballast on their web site nor am I able to see installation instructions on their site.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Irving Zisman,

Thanks. Good to know.

I've installed HID's in previous vehicles with amazing results but for my Cruiser I want something more streamline than the large ballast that normally come with HID's. I've researched all various headlight types.. High output halogen bulbs which appear to have a short life span. LED's, but I'm drawn back by the heat sinks. Diode Dynamics advertises their HID's having slime-line ballast but they show no photos of the ballast on their web site nor am I able to see installation instructions on their site.

They will install very similar to HID but much smaller cabling and ballast and much less heat.

The ones I have on my truck each have a heat sync with an individual cooling fan. I’ve had them for over a year and they are fantastic.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
$180 seems like a pile of money for two light bulbs. I did a bixenon HID projector install in mine, and everything cost me less than $200, including lights and ballasts. One of the best mods you can do IMO.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
503 Posts
I asked @Diode Dynamics about the HIDs, and was told that it would be worth the wait for their LED's that will be coming out for the FJ this summer.
That's what I would recommend as well. We do offer an HID conversion kit, but it's not ideal for reflector style housings. HIDs will work fine, but they will generate additional glare for other drivers on the road.

We will keep everyone posted on our engineering team's progress on the SL2 LED headlight. The FJ will definitely be a perfect application for it!

Thank you,
Nick C.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Irving Zisman,

Thanks. Good to know.

We've used Hylux ballasts with our HID kits for 5+ years, which are considered the absolute best on the market. (Consequently, some of our competitors have begun to offer Hylux as well)

They are extremely high-quality and the most reliable aftermarket ballast on the market. Here's a picture of the ballast itself:

In terms of "slimness", they are about the size of a deck of cards. Sure, there are probably slimmer ballasts out there, but the Hylux uses the best components possible, which I'd take over 2mm of ballast casing thickness any day!

Thank you!
Nick C.

·
Registered
175 Posts
$180 seems like a pile of money for two light bulbs. I did a bixenon HID projector install in mine, and everything cost me less than $200, including lights and ballasts. One of the best mods you can do IMO.

I agree with you 100% while I have no experience with diode dynamics I do have experience with other HID Kits and LED kits. $180 is a lot to fork out. I did HID's in my wife's 4 runner three years ago. They were a cheap 50 dollar set and are going 4 years strong with no issues. I would have to go through two more sets to make sense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I meant absolutely no disrespect to Diode Dynamics with my comment..everything that I’ve read about their products and service is very good.

I just find HID projectors very hard to beat overall, and with a little elbow grease, it’s one of the most effective and worthwhile mod on any FJ IMHO. LEDs are an improvement over halogen, but bixenon projectors trump everything that I’ve tried. And the price makes them a no brainer really when compared to what some of the LED headlight bulbs cost.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
I meant absolutely no disrespect to Diode Dynamics with my comment..everything that I’ve read about their products and service is very good.

I just find HID projectors very hard to beat overall, and with a little elbow grease, it’s one of the most effective and worthwhile mod on any FJ IMHO. LEDs are an improvement over halogen, but bixenon projectors trump everything that I’ve tried. And the price makes them a no brainer really when compared to what some of the LED headlight bulbs cost.

Our Street-legal LED headlights are the best option for those looking for a simple install, increase in usable hot-spot lux, with absolutely no modifications required.

You will have better overall output with a retrofitted set of HID projectors, but that is considerably more effort and not something everyone might be willing to try.

It's also worth noting that most LEDs don't perform well in reflector style housings, but that is not the case for our SL1 at all thanks to our engineering team's unique optical design work :bigthumb:.

Nick C.

·
Desert Moderator
6,033 Posts
Offer the Diode Dynamics LEDs for a realistic price, and I'll consider them.
I've had a cheap set of LEDs in for years and they've been super reliable, and the light output is great, but the beam is messy and I don't have the dust boots fitted because of the fans, so I have to clean the dust out of the inside periodically.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Offer the Diode Dynamics LEDs for a realistic price, and I'll consider them.
I've had a cheap set of LEDs in for years and they've been super reliable, and the light output is great, but the beam is messy and I don't have the dust boots fitted because of the fans, so I have to clean the dust out of the inside periodically.
We are priced competitively despite being the only USA-made option. We've also devoted over two years of engineering time & resources into our SL1 LED headlight. $150 is a reasonable price for a quality product that outperforms anything else on the market, and we are proud to say we've added jobs and continue adding jobs by making them here instead of overseas.

"The beam is messy" - That's the main issue with every single set of LEDs out there. That's why we took our time to design our product to work with the housing's optics correctly and produce a safe output pattern for actual road use. They've also been designed to fit with the dust cap installed perfectly. You could have all of the light output in the world, but if it's not properly focused, you'll be blinding other drivers on the road, and won't actually have an improvement in usable output.

Nick C.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nick C.

My name is Bob. Retired military living in the Philippines. I started this thread which has slightly moved off topic. I've replaced all my interior lights with your LED's. Very happy with the products and customer service of Diode Dynamics. Our time differences make it difficult for me to call so hopefully you can answer a few questions through this forums.

1. I'm interested in your SL1 LED Headlights. I'm an old fart and have trouble seeing at night. I need to illuminate the road in front of me with bright white light and ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade. When I search your website by vehicle no LED headlights are shown. Under the "Bulbs" tab on your site you list 8 different LS1 models. Which model fits my cruiser?

2. You stated that Diode Dynamics will release a SL2 version. What are the differences between the SL1 and upcoming SL2?

3. Your website indicated that the SL1 LED's are back-ordered shipping in 6 to 8 weeks. Is this information still correct?

4. What is the estimated date of availability for the SL2's

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Nick C.

My name is Bob. Retired military living in the Philippines. I started this thread which has slightly moved off topic. I've replaced all my interior lights with your LED's. Very happy with the products and customer service of Diode Dynamics. Our time differences make it difficult for me to call so hopefully you can answer a few questions through this forums.

1. I'm interested in your SL1 LED Headlights. I'm an old fart and have trouble seeing at night. I need to illuminate the road in front of me with bright white light and ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade. When I search your website by vehicle no LED headlights are shown. Under the "Bulbs" tab on your site you list 8 different LS1 models. Which model fits my cruiser?

2. You stated that Diode Dynamics will release a SL2 version. What are the differences between the SL1 and upcoming SL2?

3. Your website indicated that the SL1 LED's are back-ordered shipping in 6 to 8 weeks. Is this information still correct?

4. What is the estimated date of availability for the SL2's
Hello Bob,

First off, thank you for your service, we greatly appreciate it!

Secondly, the SL1 is currently available for single-filament applications only. Our engineering team is still working on the dual-filament SL2 models, but we don't have a time-frame or ETA on their release. It's difficult to design a single-filament model, let alone a dual, but our engineering team is up for the challenge and will come out with something special.

3: SL1 applications are likely going to ship quicker than 6-8 weeks, but we've updated the lead times to give production an opportunity to catch up (hiring new employees like crazy!).

4. We don't have a time-frame available on the SL2 quite yet, but the FJ Cruiser will definitely be a vehicle we bring in for comparison shots & testing.

Thank you for asking!!

We are extremely proud to be manufacturing the SL1 here in St. Louis, Missouri.

Nick C.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Diode Dynamics, the new LEDs sound like a great product I'm sure they will be a big hit on here ...in the meantime guys i needed a quick fix and went with these HIDs seems like a great kit for under $70 and reviews on here are good

Toyota 10000K HID Conversion Kit - Dark Blue - 2 Year Warranty -

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/603034-xenon-visions-bi-xenon-hid-conversion-plug-n-play-kit-install-review.html
10,000K is extremely blue, will have poor visibility, and will definitely get you pulled over. We don't offer a 10,000K color for that reason, and I suggest running 8000K at the most if you want some "blue".

Thank you,
Nick C.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
They will install very similar to HID but much smaller cabling and ballast and much less heat.

The ones I have on my truck each have a heat sync with an individual cooling fan. I’ve had them for over a year and they are fantastic.

Did they need the projector upgrade? I had a light scatter issue with the HIDs and did the upgrade which was recommended and definitely took care of the scatter. No issues

The whole kit was $180, not just the lamps. Does not include projectors.

(edit: should have read the whole thread first :) )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts