Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a MT 2007 and the other day I was reversing and got yelled at. They said my reverse lights (led) were not working. I confirmed that they are not working, although sometimes I can see them illuminate briefly.

I also noticed that the side mirror lights (led) are both not working.

I'm using Diode Dynamics led lights (high quality) and it seems as if a fuse has been blown for the mirror lights. Potentially a fuse has been blown for the reverse lights too.

I can't find anywhere documented that says x fuse is for mirror lights and x fuse is for reverse lights. Can someone help? I was trying to avoid pulling all fuses and checking individually. I know there are two fuse boxes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Re: Diode Dynamics side mirror led lights stopped working & reverse lights r not work

Bummer. I have the same Diode Dynamics setup. Are you use its the fuse, and the lights didn't burn out? Hopefully if so, Diode will replace them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Diode Dynamics side mirror led lights stopped working & reverse lights r not work

The reason I think it's a fuse is that the reverse lights are not illuminating. This happened more suddenly. Then a few days later, I just happened to notice that both my side mirror lights are not illuminating. I don't know if the two are related or not. But I think it would be pretty much impossible for all 4 led Diode Dynamics lights to go out, yah know?

·
Registered
258 Posts

It will take you 5 minutes to confirm or eliminate blown fuses. Additionally, make sure that current is in-fact passing through the fuses by using a voltmeter.

If the fuses are good and passing current, remove each LED and use your voltmeter to verify that current is getting to the sockets. Process of elimination.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Re: Diode Dynamics mirror LED lights stopped working & reverse lights are not working

I have the same setup, I’ve had no issues like that, ut yeah check the fuses like others have said. And check the LEDs themselves.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Re: Diode Dynamics mirror LED lights stopped working & reverse lights are not working

Hi All,

I have a MT 2007 and the other day I was reversing and got yelled at. They said my reverse lights (led) were not working. I confirmed that they are not working, although sometimes I can see them illuminate briefly.

I also noticed that the side mirror lights (led) are both not working.

I'm using Diode Dynamics led lights (high quality) and it seems as if a fuse has been blown for the mirror lights. Potentially a fuse has been blown for the reverse lights too.

I can't find anywhere documented that says x fuse is for mirror lights and x fuse is for reverse lights. Can someone help? I was trying to avoid pulling all fuses and checking individually. I know there are two fuse boxes.

Thanks.
Back-up light circuit is very simple, B+ supplied through the IG1 fuse, and switched by the Back-up Switch on the transmission.

The mirror light circuit is a tiny bit more complex, these lights are powered through the TAIL fuse and the TAIL relay. If the B+ supply is bad, then the parking lights, the lights in the accessory meter, and several other circuits should also be non-functional.

If these other lights work, then the LED lamps have failed, fallen out of their sockets, or there is some wiring harness defect in the doors (but obviously nearly impossible that the wiring harnesses in BOTH doors would have failed simultaneously).

·
Registered
963 Posts

My @Diode Dynamics rear tail light HP11 went out on driver side. It doesn't work with headlight or brake light. Whole thing is dead. I know $60 for two bulbs is overpriced, but since they are a forum sponsor, I bought all lights from them. Very happy with them, but April 23rd to oct 18, is only 6 months of service.

I have sent them a message, as they have a 3 year warranty, and hopefully they will take care of it. I will report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts

I just wanted to give an update on my tail light. Oct 18, wrote to @Diode Dynamics. They shipped me out a light Oct 21. Very happy with service. Installed light yesterday, but light is defective (side of the LED doesn't light up). I contacted them again due to defective product.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts

Did you try pulling the light and turning it 180. Has to do with the resistor within the bulb. Read the instructions that came with the bulbs. Also, if you still have the old light, look at the configuration of the wire contacts for each bulb. I had a problem when I installed the license plate bulbs. The original bulbs had the wire contacts on one side of the bulb for each wire (it may look like a double loop). The Diode Dynamics bulb had both wire contacts covering both sides of the bulb on the section that inserts in the wiring harness. Once I moved the wires to look like the original bulb, plugged them back in, everything was bright.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts

Did you try pulling the light and turning it 180. Has to do with the resistor within the bulb. Read the instructions that came with the bulbs. Also, if you still have the old light, look at the configuration of the wire contacts for each bulb. I had a problem when I installed the license plate bulbs. The original bulbs had the wire contacts on one side of the bulb for each wire (it may look like a double loop). The Diode Dynamics bulb had both wire contacts covering both sides of the bulb on the section that inserts in the wiring harness. Once I moved the wires to look like the original bulb, plugged them back in, everything was bright.
Unlike incandescent bulbs, LEDs are "polarity sensitive", and (generally) must be correctly oriented in the bulb sockets to get the LEDs forward-biased and thereby turn on. Some of the more expensive LED bulbs have additional circuitry that allows them to be installed in the socket in any orientation.

The orientation should have nothing to do with the internal current-limiting resistor (or resistors), as resistors are non-polarized.

The fact that SOME of the LEDs illuminate on sandFJ's replacement LED lamp seems to indicate that the bulb is installed in the socket correctly, and that there truly is one string of individual LEDs on the side of the module that is not receiving power.

sandFJ, go ahead and reverse the lamp in the socket, and see if that makes ANY difference in which individual LEDs are illuminated.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I've had the same issue with the same bulbs but only on the passenger side taillight. I'm averaging about 10 months before they go out, on that side only. They've been solid about the warranty each time so my only real complaint is with how small the stupid access holes are. I've also had an intermittent flickering in the drivers side mirror light for the last year. I'm fairly certain it's just loose as I can bump the mirror to flick it back on, just been to lazy to pull it apart again. All the other bulbs I have from them are still working great 3 years later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts