Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Does your wiring harness come with some sort of waterpoof bulkhead connector?
All Stage Series LED lighting products use a standard Deutsch-style connector

They are extremely durable, and have been tested in extreme conditions (i.e. rally stages)

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
All Stage Series LED lighting products use a standard Deutsch-style connector
Okay, that's great to know. But my question was about a bulkhead connector; I will need to route power out to the roof and I am trying to figure out how to do it. With a waterproof bulkhead connector, you cut a hole, tie the connector to the roof and it forms a waterproof seal.

TE has 16.595 parts in the Deutsch line--some bulkhead, some inline--and I am trying to figure out if I buy you light bar and harness is the problem solved for me, or do I still have the issue to solve of how to run a wire through my roof. If it does not have a bulkhead connector, I am probably better off skipping your harness and coming up with my own solution.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Okay, that's great to know. But my question was about a bulkhead connector; I will need to route power out to the roof and I am trying to figure out how to do it. With a waterproof bulkhead connector, you cut a hole, tie the connector to the roof and it forms a waterproof seal.

TE has 16.595 parts in the Deutsch line--some bulkhead, some inline--and I am trying to figure out if I buy you light bar and harness is the problem solved for me, or do I still have the issue to solve of how to run a wire through my roof. If it does not have a bulkhead connector, I am probably better off skipping your harness and coming up with my own solution.

Thanks.
I suggest adding a grommet to the harness specifically for your application. The harness will definitely make wiring easier, and it wouldn't require too much effort to seal up for a roof-mounted setup.

Nick C.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wanted to say that I do love my Diode Dynamics SS6 driving lights, however I will say that they cannot really be used on road even though they are SAE J581 certified. I have them mounted in my lower grille, pointed straight ahead (no tilt upward) and the light throw is much too high, and I was getting flashed constantly. I was going to block off the top portion of the light to cut the glare, but I basically just stopped running them on the street. They throw an incredible amount of light, and they are amazingly constructed for an excellent price, but please keep this in mind. My plan was to supplement the awful FJ headlights with these, but that is a no-go, so they will only be used off-road.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
I wanted to say that I do love my Diode Dynamics SS6 driving lights, however I will say that they cannot really be used on road even though they are SAE J581 certified. I have them mounted in my lower grille, pointed straight ahead (no tilt upward) and the light throw is much too high, and I was getting flashed constantly. I was going to block off the top portion of the light to cut the glare, but I basically just stopped running them on the street. They throw an incredible amount of light, and they are amazingly constructed for an excellent price, but please keep this in mind. My plan was to supplement the awful FJ headlights with these, but that is a no-go, so they will only be used off-road.
Are they behind the thick plastic grill? Might be your problem.

It can throw a lot of light around

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
We are glad to hear you love your SS6 driving lights!

With that being said, SAE J581 relates to auxiliary high beam usage. You shouldn't be using them as high beams if there are cars coming towards you. That would definitely explain why you are being flashed by other drivers on the road.

For the fog light use, it's crucial to have them aimed properly. If they are aimed too high, it's no different than having your headlights aimed too high, it will get you flashed.

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for the help!

Gotcha on the J581 being a high beam rating, didn't know that.

Here are pics, I am using the Rigid Industries lower FJ grill, the DD SS6 fit perfectly though, but they offer no adjustment downward. I think I will have to use them only as high beams then when I need them. Man they are bright. The cutoff looks good (dingy yellow halogens show up above the SS6 pattern, but the beam pattern extends too far upward at longer distances.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 67 Posts