Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benefits, if any, of using a directional MT tire over a non directional? I like to rotate the spare in and the rotation option is limited with a directional tire.

Directional:

Non Directional:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I see your point, regarding the spare. Seems like you'd have to have two spares to get even wear on both sides!

But, think of it this way, when it's time to buy new tires you'll only have to buy four...

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your point, regarding the spare. Seems like you'd have to have two spares to get even wear on both sides!

But, think of it this way, when it's time to buy new tires you'll only have to buy four...
If you like the tire and end up purchasing the same tire every time.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
This may sound dumb , but we used non directional tires in the Marines so the enemy doesn't know wich direction your traveling.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This may sound dumb , but we used non directional tires in the Marines so the enemy doesn't know wich direction your traveling.
That actually sounds smart, never thought of that. Thanks for your service!

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Since I have not had any other replies I did some searching and there does not seem to be a lot of info about the benefits of directional vs. non directional. This is what I have found so far.

1) The military uses non directional because they dont want you to know if they are coming or going.
2) Directional tires limit your choice of ratation.
3) Directional tires wear faster for a couple of reasons - Rotation limits & Tracking - Directionals tend to track every groove in the road & trail supposedly causing more wear on the tire.
4) Directional tires are supposed to expel water better on roads than non directional tires.
5) Directional tires are designed for better handleing because they track.

From what I can tell unless you live somewhere that is wet all the time or you on road race a non directional tire is a better choice.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
all I can say is that I had a 81 chevy 4x4 with interco groundhogs and that thing would go places in 2 wheel drive that most trucks couldn't go in 4wheel drive that was the best tire I have ever had it would eat up Alabama mud and rocks

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
What are the benefits, if any, of using a directional MT tire over a non directional? I like to rotate the spare in and the rotation option is limited with a directional tire.
I had a set of Baja Claws on my Jeep TJ. They worked great on the Rubicon and didn't go flat despite a couple of sidewall cuts.

I don't know if there's any particular "advantage" to having directional tire. It's just a function of the tread design. I'm sure you could find a non-directional tire that performs just as well. The non-directional tire also has the "advantage", as you've already mentioned, of being swapable on either side of the car, while a directional tire can be used on the same side only. In fact, you might have to switch an additional tire if the spare is going on the "wrong" side of the car.

Otherwise, I think it's just a question of your personal preference in the choice the tire. So, if you want Baja Claws, you're just going to get a directional tire whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dunno if this really applies to trucks, but on my small car, directional tires were quieter and repelled water really well... so well that I didnt have any fear of hydroplaning at all. Plus, I really dont see the reasoning to rotate tires around to "even the treadwear". If my car is messed up and its causing failure to one tire or so, Id much rather fix the problem and put on two new tires than to rotate around the tires to even the wear. Even on my non-directionals, I only rotate front to rear (at most) same side.

BTW.. order up a set of directional (4), and mount a 5th spare from your stock non-directional tires. Keep the original tires/rims and you probably got a lifetime of spare tires for your FJ!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know much about the directional tires, other than on my last vehicle they seemed to have more road noise.

I'm just glad to hear that others rotate in the spare the service dept always look at me funny when I insist on rotating in the spare.

My thoughts are:
1) Your tires last 1/5 longer
2) You almost always buy a spare when you get new tires, or at least I do.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I'm just glad to hear that others rotate in the spare the service dept always look at me funny when I insist on rotating in the spare.

My thoughts are:
1) Your tires last 1/5 longer
2) You almost always buy a spare when you get new tires, or at least I do.
LOL!

That's one of the things I know I should do but am always too lazy to get done. Just installed a new set of 5 Hankooks on steel wheels and pulled the TRD/BFGs off my rig.

I've got 4 worn tires and one brand new BFG. The other 4 are pretty worn but are good for a few more hwy miles before they need to be replaced and, when that time comes, at least I'll only have to buy 4 instead of 5. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.