Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Me thinks you guys went through the gate and ventured into the Nisene Marks Demonstration area. I hope that isn't true since we all know about being responsible off-road enthusiasts...
Nope. Where we went had many muddy trails already. Also, there were many other vehicles out there too.
Mtbcoach is right. the dirt roads in Nisene Marks are closed to vehicular traffic outside of Buzzard Lagoon Road, which is a 3-4 mile stretch that is open to the public from May-September. from October-April, it is only open to residents due to possible trail damage from overuse during wet weather season. rangers will cite you if caught.

please remember that just because there is a dirt road does not necessarily mean it is open to general vehicular traffic. please wheel responsibly and call your local ranger district in advance if you are not sure whether or not a certain road is accessible.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Mtbcoach is right. the dirt roads in Nisene Marks are closed to vehicular traffic outside of Buzzard Lagoon Road, which is a 3-4 mile stretch that is open to the public from May-September. from October-April, it is only open to residents due to possible trail damage from overuse during wet weather season. rangers will cite you if caught.

please remember that just because there is a dirt road does not necessarily mean it is open to general vehicular traffic. please wheel responsibly and call your local ranger district in advance if you are not sure whether or not a certain road is accessible.
I didn't want to get in a p!ssing contest with them but I've ridden that single track trail more times that I'd like to admit and recognized it right off the bat.

My uncle lived for 30 years right off of Summit Rd and I grew up on LG, riding those trails since the early 70's. I may be getting old but I still remember my trails...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Thanks, but the odd thing about that is that 2 rangers actually waved to us the last time we were there as we passed by them. So now I'm confused.

If there is a next time, I'll be sure to ask people who are around there who are familiar with the opening dates. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my name is Daniel, I'm from Israel/Colorado and living in Cali for about 3 years now. My two business partners/flat-mates and I are taking a break from our SF startup and heading down to Santa Cruz Friday afternoon for an overnight camping trip in a big Jeep (am I allowed to say the J here?). I'm loving this drive but wondering if still open now 6 years later? Does anyone know? Any recommendations for secluded places to camp and nice 4x4 trails would be appreciated, and potentially repaid with Cannabis edibles if you're into that:)

Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thank you locals, I promise to be very respectful of this beautiful place, I was down in SC yesterday and it was a really amazing drive. Took old Santa Cruz highway for a bit.

Thank you for your advice
Daniel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you sure they were rangers? Only reason why I ask is because most locals refer the upper end of that area as nisene marks. I believe you entered into the Soquel demonstration forest which is managed by CAL FIRE. I am a firefighter in that area and we have foresters in white CAL FIRE vehicles that look similar to rangers and loggers that use random personal vehicles (you may have been thought of as a logger) . They will wave all day long. If I'm correct about the area, those trails are open only to hikers and loggers/state personnel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure they were rangers? Only reason why I ask is because most locals refer the upper end of that area as nisene marks. I believe you entered into the Soquel demonstration forest which is managed by CAL FIRE. I am a firefighter in that area and we have foresters in white CAL FIRE vehicles that look similar to rangers and loggers that use random personal vehicles (you may have been thought of as a logger) . They will wave all day long. If I'm correct about the area, those trails are open only to hikers and loggers/state personnel.
Hey Firerescue09- I'm a firefighter in the Bay Area and wanted to explore some of these trails and stumbled upon this forum. Any tips for a fellow firefighter? you can pm me. I'm in a local Land Rover club ( sorry guys ).

41 - 46 of 46 Posts