Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen countless threads here and elsewhere regarding the DP dual battery kit, and I've decided to go with the Sears Diehard Platinum. However, I'm not sure which model is the right model, or if there are several that fit.

I've heard "group 34 type", the P1, and the P5 models mentioned. Which one should I be ordering?

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is the one I went with, the deep cycle marine style. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and moreThis one has a 3 year warranty instead of the 4 year, but I wanted the deep cycle model because of my application, powering a lot of stuff while the engine is off. I haven't received my dual batt kit yet, but Larry assures me that it will ship in a couple days, then I can confirm that this battery is a good fit. The Odyssey PC1500DT appears to be the same thing, but I haven't found absolute confirmation of that.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't heard from dougla2, anyone else confirm which diehard plat model fits? The specs on that model from sears show a length longer than the tray.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Although I do not have a dual battery set up, I did replace the original Panasonic battery with a Diehard Platinum P-5. This battery/size fits within the battery tray. In comparison to the Panasonic, the P5 is much shorter by 2-3 inches in width. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your set up!:cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I assume you are looking for fitment info on the tray that comes with the dual battery kit from Dirty Parts. I haven't received my kit yet, :mecry: but I have the "DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-2 - Group Size 34M" sitting here ready to install. I'll post up a picture and fit info as soon as I get the kit.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Any Group 34 battery should fit without issue.

The usual suspects are the Odyssey PC 1500T, and Optima Yellow Top 34/78, but any similar top-post battery will work.

I suggest making sure the battery is deep-cycle capable, although a standard cranking battery will function, too...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I ask is because the tray is 10 1/2" long, and the sears web site says the length of the battery is 10 9/10" long (who measures in 10ths of an inch?). What they do not say is if that is the length of the bottom, or the top which is longer. Just want to make sure. Gonna install the tray today and take it to sears to make sure it fits before buying. Thanks all.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Got my new Dual Battery kit today and took a pic of the aforementioned battery fitting nicely in the tray. Notice the dual terminals on top of the Diehard, cool. Looking forward to installing the kit on Saturday. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent, thanks and good luck with your install

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought the PM-2, perfect fit in the dirty parts dual battery kit tray! Also, they're 10% off at Sears today, not sure when that ends

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
the PM-2, there are pics of it installed in my Garage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got my DP kit and installed this past weekend. The DP kit was kind of a pain to install because I have an 2010, there are the additional bracket on the fender. I did not remove the bracket per instructions because I felt that reinforced the fender from buckling and cracking as in previous years. So i instead, had to grind off the 3 studs, install additional lifts on the DP under bracket and redrill fenders. All in all, took about 4.5 hrs to install everything myself and I am a skilled mechanic. I used an optima 34 yellow top battery. Bought battery from Sams club for about $155, can't beat it. I also relocated my switch right under the AC switch center console.. Just drilled the plactic above the skid control switch and ran the wire bundle through there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts