Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day One: Met all these folks at the Double Tree in GJ

Great lecture on how stuff works and what doesn't from Hugh and Jim of Safari Ltd.

We split into two groups based on modifications and relative experience. Our group hit Bang's Canyon and started out pretty mellow with Chris Nelson showing us the ropes

Beautiful flora and fauna, perfect day

Jeremy generated a little pucker factor

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
COJeff and Chris Nelson demo good spotting on the rocks

I got to be a passenger while Katherine walked the rocks

Then we took turns working on the waterfalls

Day 2 Bill Burke stretches us out on some arroyo in the 29 Road OHV area

We all learned a great deal about the off-camber abilities of our rigs

Some better than others :D steep descent + poor approach angle + much weight + aired down tires + turning =

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talk about team work, hi-lifted, bead reset and back on the trail in 10 minutes

This was some really cool and difficult work through the arroyo

We stopped for lunch here...

...because my passenger sway bar link snapped (again...) Peeled off the CV boot and punctured it.

Don and Bill helped me yank the stabilizer and links, and got the damaged boot seated with a hose clamp (wonder how I knew I need that again someday...???

Scrap metal anyone??

We learned a great deal about vehicle dynamics, mechanical sympathy, communication, proper use of the vehicle and its tools, proper use of the Hi-lift for lifting and winching, proper use of the winch and much more. Bill, Chris, Hugh and Jim were excellent hosts, and, as always it was really cool to spend time with folks on the trail and this group was exceptional.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Awesome pics! Thanks for the vicarious adventure...:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks for the great pics, Eric. It looks like you had a very educational weekend. What PSI we're you running when you lost the bead? Oh and have you installed any aftermarket collars on your sway bar? In the pic it looks like there's something a little more beefy than the stock aluminum collars but its hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
looks like fun like the lizard pic!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great pics. Today, FJ'sFJ blew two beads on his bfg MT's on the trail.
Must have been having as much fun as I was :D

Very cool, look forward to hearing how to re-bead a tire in 10 minutes, wish I could have made that!
I'm curious to know if my compressor and tank would have pushed enough air to pop it back into place, but CO2 was used on it this time (add to list...) It was cool: Hi-lift tire out of dirt, clear dirt out, align tire, apply CO2. Learned some other stuff we didn't have to use.

What an awesome time! I'm soo bummed that we missed it :( Maybe next year.
There are other classes throughout the US later this year...

Thanks for the great pics, Eric. It looks like you had a very educational weekend. What PSI we're you running when you lost the bead? Oh and have you installed any aftermarket collars on your sway bar? In the pic it looks like there's something a little more beefy than the stock aluminum collars but its hard to tell.
I was around 18-20 psi depending on tire temp. I also had the entire weight of the vehicle, all of my mods, me and passenger and about 300lbs of gear in the back on the front tires and trying to turn on silt hard pack in the bottom of a wash. I could, shoulda, woulda backed out and reset, but I decided to push it too far.

No additions to the sway bar. Ironically I've been running without it until I left for this trip. I put it on to make the drive across the Rockies easier, but clearly should have taken it off. During the next two weeks I will be seriously contemplating its use, recycle potential or disconnectability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts