Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On August 20th, 2010 I placed an order for a hi-lift jack "slider" adapter from WabFab. Their web site at the time, and presently, stated that these were kept in stock bare and are powder coated to order and that the part "Ships in - 3 Days". Unfortunately this has not proven to be the case.

I have exchanged a few emails with the proprietor and asked for status updates along the way and have been told twice now, several weeks apart, that the parts were out for etching and powder coating and would be shipping in just a few days. I really wanted this item before an upcoming cross country trek and would have ordered elsewhere if I had known ahead of time just what the wait was going to be like.

As of this writing, it has been 7+ weeks and I've not received the component and my most recent inquiry has gone unanswered. I've just sent an email asking that the order be canceled and that my payment be refunded.

I'm a pretty patient guy as long as I know what I'm up against from the start. In this case, WabFab clearly needs to both update their web site with more realistic production lead times and needs to be clearer with their customers when they ask for status updates. It may truly be that the machine shop doing the final prep is dragging their butt, but if that is the case then maybe another machine shop would be a better choice.

Regardless, I wanted to share my experience so that others may benefit. I'm sure they make good products... just be ready to wait for them and don't be in a hurry if you do order.

I rather doubt I'll give them another shot after this. There are too many alternatives out there.

Edited to add...

10/11/10 @ 9:00pm CST -- I received my refund via Paypal and an apologetic email from the proprietor. I am satisfied with the way that the matter was resolved, but still wish that the true ETA for delivery had been represented on the web site. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it's comforting to know that I'm not alone then. I'm going to try to source an alternative adapter before the upcoming weekend. Any suggestions? I see that Rocktek Customz makes them as well.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I've heard this story through the forum a few times about Wabfab.

My wife purchased the adapter for me as a christmas gift. She called badlandbumpers and spoke with the owner. He said he only had his display in stock but would ship that one if she wanted it. So, great customer service ='d a purchase...... jack kradle

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went ahead and called TRDParts4U (Dallas Toyota) and they had the Rocktek slider in stock and said if they shipped them today or tomorrow, I'd have it in time for my trip.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Well I went ahead and called TRDParts4U (Dallas Toyota) and they had the Rocktek slider in stock and said if they shipped them today or tomorrow, I'd have it in time for my trip.

That was who I was going to recommend, as I knew they carried them. Glad you were able to contact them, & that they'll be able to fix you up.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts

That's the one I have and it works great with the Hi-Lift.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
I just ordered a slider adapter from SBE products last week and had the exact opposite experience. I ordered an adapter and the last one of the batch shipped the day before. Joe at SBE contacted me shortly and explained the situation and that he was able to offer two alternatives: refund my money or put one together soon and ship it unpainted with a small refund. He also added that they were in the middle of moving, but could still throw one together anways. I contemplated asking for the refund because I knew WabFab makes the same product and I didn't want to inconvenience them. They said it was no problem so I stuck with them and it was the right move apparently.
I definitely recommend SBE to anyone else.

·
Registered
567 Posts
A couple years ago on another board, the owner of Wabfab threatened a lawsuit on a guy who was making these on the side for members of the local chapter, local mind you not on the national board. Come to find out, it wasn't even his idea, it was the guy who owns badlands. The thread on that board fell to silence the second badland's name was brought up and the owner of Wabfab went back and deleted all his posts.

So yeah, not surprising to hear about this! Good luck getting your money back from him!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sorry about your experience. It sucks when you have to go through this with online retailers. Some of these guys are going to learn the hard way that in the age of the internet you don't have to put up with their BS.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
sorry you're having to go through this, but thanks for the heads up, i'll keep my distance from wabfab.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
OP hope you don't mind that i put this thread in the transaction feedback sub-forum ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thats a bummer. I planned to purchase their "Wabbits Foot" base for the hi lift jack. It is by far the best design I've seen and would be more useful than the "offroad base" that people typically purchase.

I might still take the risk, but appreciate the heads up. Did you ever try to reach them on the phone for an answer?
Give badlandbumpers a shot. They look the same and they may provide better customer service

Products

jack kradle

Mike

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A couple years ago on another board, the owner of Wabfab threatened a lawsuit on a guy who was making these on the side for members of the local chapter, local mind you not on the national board. Come to find out, it wasn't even his idea, it was the guy who owns badlands. The thread on that board fell to silence the second badland's name was brought up and the owner of Wabfab went back and deleted all his posts.

So yeah, not surprising to hear about this! Good luck getting your money back from him!
I'm going to let Paypal's dispute resolution center handle it. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.