Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was the event photographer at a Jeep/4x4 show yesterday, and I'll post up about that later. The big disappointment was my RTI score of 519. That's 4 over stock.

I went up the ramp 55". FJ's wheelbase is 105.9 and with a 20 degree ramp... that should be the score.

I wonder if not having the weight in the back (ie spare tire and about 100 lbs of tools and such hurt me at all.

My setup:

DR/ICON front coilovers (I believe them to be extended travel because of how close the coils come to the UCAs)
Total Chaos UCAs
No swaybar
ICON rear piggyback shocks
OME Heavies in the rear

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize the picture was with the tire off the ground. I was in the vehicle... :lol:

Anyways I'm pretty sure the front wheel got further into the wheel well when I was playing on a ramp at Rocks and Valleys. Maybe it was the ground it was on or the weight in the truck....

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Oh Well, look at it this way, you can still drive it alot further up the ramp before it rolls over! :lol: Just because the left rear raises up you still have a long way to go. IFS will never compete against a SAS :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh Well, look at it this way, you can still drive it alot further up the ramp before it rolls over! :lol: Just because the left rear raises up you still have a long way to go. IFS will never compete against a SAS :bigthumb:
True but there are IFS setups that have gotten a lot higher than me. I was hoping for something a little better.

Mine scored a 525 with swaybar on.
One day I'll do another run with the typical trail load to get an average.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
There may be a few things to help, like removing the bump stops, sway bar and airing down. I'm not certain if a lift helps much maybe the opposite.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had my front swaybar off for a while. The Icon's front coils are cranked up more than factory I'm sure. UCA bushings are shot if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's 70.2 inches up the ramp. I only went 55....

Are both your sways disco'd Jerry? I'm thinking about disconnecting my rear tomorrow and hitting up the trails to see what I think about it.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
That's 70.2 inches up the ramp. I only went 55....

Are both your sways disco'd Jerry? I'm thinking about disconnecting my rear tomorrow and hitting up the trails to see what I think about it.
Just the front, I get plenty of flex at the rear. Like I said, it hit the rear bump stops and that caused the tire to lift. The rear sway bar didn't stop anything...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I got 69" up a 20-deg ramp... FOX 2.5 front, 2.0 rear, no sways on either. I've seen many other FJC's do essentially the same with that general setup (c/o's, better rear shocks, no sways) and I think that's what you can expect from that setup.

It looks like your rear is not flexing much at all... I use the top of the tire to the frame as a reference point (granted that changes based on tire size, but you appear to have typically sized tires). With a flexy rear, the top of the tire will be at or below the bottom of the frame rail...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
dman I thought my setup was alright...

I got 69" up a 20-deg ramp... FOX 2.5 front, 2.0 rear, no sways on either. I've seen many other FJC's do essentially the same with that general setup (c/o's, better rear shocks, no sways) and I think that's what you can expect from that setup.

It looks like your rear is not flexing much at all... I use the top of the tire to the frame as a reference point (granted that changes based on tire size, but you appear to have typically sized tires). With a flexy rear, the top of the tire will be at or below the bottom of the frame rail...
Really think it's the heavy rear springs by now. Like I mentioned earlier... Usually my tool kit (over 50 lbs) plus my spare are back there. In my mind it could force the rear end down more...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
How much extra weight are you running in the cargo area to need OME heavies in the back? That might also be a limiting factor.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Various items + 50 lb tool kit, 25 lb tool kit, 3 ton jack/jackstand combo, Warn kit, spare w/ 33.... Hope to get a MT rear bumper one day... From time to time the M416 trailer comes along with me. With the RC springs the back end was sagging like crazy.

Most of that stuff was out because this was in the back (plus the spare has a hole in it)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts