Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just got my fj about a week ago and while I was flipping through the manual I came upon the airbag section. It says in there that if you go off a drop or essentially "hit" to hard the airbags will deploy. Now that to me seems stupid to have in a offroad type vehicle. I know I have slammed pretty hard out in the desert in other vehicles and they drove away fine but I know we hit real hard. I am just curious if anyone out there has some experience in regaurding this situation in a fj. Thanks

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
This was just discussed on another thread as recent as yesterday. Lot's of people go offroad in the FJ - I haven't read a single post that mentioned the airbags deploying uneccessarily. If they they deploy when you hit something, you probably need them to unless you would rather your face hit the steering wheel instead... :D

Oh, and howdy, congrats, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This was just discussed on another thread as recent as yesterday. Lot's of people go offroad in the FJ - I haven't read a single post that mentioned the airbags deploying uneccessarily. If they they deploy when you hit something, you probably need them to unless you would rather your face hit the steering wheel instead...
X2, if you hit something hard enough to deploy them.....you'll be glad they're there.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Yea, I haven't heard of anyone having this problem in real life either...

Plus, having an 'airbag switch' or something opens up a HUGE can of worms. The time you forget to turn it back on is probably going to be the time you need it... not worth it in my opinion to have that option.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
FJC system does not deploy airbags by bumping something. They are deployed if the vehicles speed changes abruptly. the system measures G forces rather that shocks. You can legally have an Airbag on/off switch installed, if you really think it's necessary (I don't), by applying to NHTSA. You need to fill out a form and mail it in.

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/DOT/safercar/pdf/ON-OFF_Switch_Request.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,
I just got my fj about a week ago and while I was flipping through the manual I came upon the airbag section. It says in there that if you go off a drop or essentially "hit" to hard the airbags will deploy. Now that to me seems stupid to have in a offroad type vehicle. I know I have slammed pretty hard out in the desert in other vehicles and they drove away fine but I know we hit real hard. I am just curious if anyone out there has some experience in regaurding this situation in a fj. Thanks
Thank you all for replying so quick. What a great group of people. I did not think they would deploy under moderate circumstances but I had to ask. Thanks once again.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
A friend of mine went nose into the sand after cresting a dune (you gotta slow down at the top and time it right) in a wrangler and deployed the airbags, it does happen. To disarm or not, that is the question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts