Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience discoloration of the interior, adjustable rails, on their roof rack?

I happened to glance at mine (2007) and noticed the color was starting to change from black to white.

Guessing a can of flat, black spray paint would correct.

I also have some places on the front "cattle guard" that have been chipped from flying rocks and gravel and rust has appeared.

Probably time to sand and spray paint that, too.

How have others addressed these normal wear and tear items?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have an 07 also its an outside vehicle and one of the adjustable rails has turned silver the paint is gone. I'm thinking about using the flat black spray paint also I use the flat back on my rock rails for rock chips all the time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Same here on the discoloration on my roof rack and a little on my brush guard. I'm planning to sand them down with somewhere around 300 grit paper and using Rustoleum Textured Black paint. I did a search on here and found a couple members that have used it and it came close to factory.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Good Lord! It's 4-5 years old.............how long should one expect perfection?

Open up the wallet and spend the $10-$15 bucks on some paint - then wheel the sh!t out of it.

I'm not sure what one should expect from rocks chips other than eventual rust. All can be covered up with periodic maintenance, but surely cannot be avoided on today's roadways.

Didn't mean for this to sound too abrupt, but really?

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently purchased an OEM 2007 rack myself. It was oxidized but in good shape. I wiped it down with 303 Protectant and it turned out great, like new. Here is the link.

www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm?category=58"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts