Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a disconnected black wire in the engine compartment. It runs from the positive battery terminal towards the driver's side of the engine compartment. The copper connector rotted away and the black wire is just lying there. I am not sure where to reconnect the wire once I replace the connector. Closest to the fender is a plastic junction with a white wire and a green wire. Towards the center is a steel mounting bracket with two white wires connected to either end of it. Furthest in is a steel mounting bracket with a white wire and a black wire connected to it. The power steering is malfunctioning and I wonder if this is related. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Model GSJ 15L 2007 FJ

I have circled the disconnected wire in the image.

loose wire in fj cruiser.jpg

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Looks like it went to the relay to the left. Or is there another pos. there? May be for a trailer plug.
Nope. I see the other now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
You've got some scary-looking non-Toyota wiring modifications there ... I believe those two widgets are auto-resetting thermal circuit breakers. Toyota would not use that type of circuit breaker, or use a black wire in a B+ circuit, so I assume that all of it is something bodged together by a previous owner.

For safety, I'd pull ALL those crap wiring modifications out, tracing them back as far as they go. If they are actually powering some useful accessory, re-wire it correctly.

As far as your power steering "malfunction", can you provide some specific details? The power steering system is essentially all hydraulic, so any wiring harness problems are unlikely to be related to power steering problems.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Like FJtest said those are auto resetting thermal breakers. Typical use would be for trailer towing applications that go to a 7pin trailer harness. Usually one fuse for a brake controller and the other fuse for trailer power. Power usually hooks up to one side and continues out the other side of the connection.

Definitely follow his advice and trace those wires to figure out what they go to before hooking them up. They don’t appear to be hooked up correctly for a trailer application as they wouldn’t be hooked into one another like that and the wiring looks to be undersized.

There are some sensor wires above the power steering pump but I don’t believe the wires in the picture have anything to do with your power steering acting up. It’s probably a pump issue. Once you have chased the broken and yellow wires you’ll know if they are related.

Reactions: Dee823 and Bad Wolf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad Wolf, I think you are correct, followed it back, it is the power supply for the trailer package. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FJtest, it turns out it is a part of a trailer package, thanks for feedback. Thanks for taking the power steering out of the mix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FJCRUZA, you are right, it is a trailer application, 7pin. Also thanks for confirming that it has nothing to do with the power steering, and the tip about the pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts