Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Though we don't do such as extreme in-house testing, this guy actually dropped his phone from 50ft onto concrete and it survived! You can read about by following this link: http://www.otterbox.com/pdfs/jonathan-tatariw-blackberry.pdf.
Very entertaining anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

The place to look on that PDF is the disclaimer in the lower right corner...

"*Notes: Case only tested for drops from three feet to concrete,
NOT recommended for drops over three feet. Case NOT protected
against water. Will provide some added protection against drop,
bump and dust. NOT intended for protection against water intrusion."

You know, this whole discussion is very interesting. It just so happens to be that I have had my eye on the OtterBox case for the BlackBerry Storm since before I even got my Storm. In an ideal world, I'd already have one, but since a different one came with the deal that I got from Verizon at the time, I've just been using it instead.

Now, this lone statement comes out on the forum (about having thrown one onto the concrete), and I post up to ask for clarification about it, and all I get is hell for asking the question and presenting what I think is a pretty strong, logical case for an alternate view (that to say that one has thrown it onto the concrete is most likely either a typo or a misunderstanding on my part as to what exactly is meant by the word 'threw' in this situation - thus asking for further clarification).

In the anecdote presented in the PDF, we still do not know the actual calculations of how many G-forces were at play, but it must be still open to question as to whether or not dropping it from 50ft would result in the same force as one actually throwing it onto the same concrete surface. Perhaps it would, but I'm not a mathematician. So, I can't say one way or the other.

Beyond that, even if anyone in here is a mathematician and settled that issue for us and we could know for sure how much force would be involved with such a drop, we still wouldn't know anything about the actual product, because this is an anecdote. We see no 'official' word on the matter, except for the disclaimer at the bottom - which I have already pasted above.

Why it is that so many well-meaning, otherwise intelligent adult humans would choose to argue with me about whether or not it actually makes sense to say that it's OK to 'throw' one of these phone cases onto the concrete is just beyond me.

Nevertheless, I will still probably purchase the OtterBox case (and holster) for my Storm whenever that becomes a reasonable possibility for me.

Thanks again for the story. It was very enjoyable to read. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Very entertaining anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

The place to look on that PDF is the disclaimer in the lower right corner...

"*Notes: Case only tested for drops from three feet to concrete,
NOT recommended for drops over three feet. Case NOT protected
against water. Will provide some added protection against drop,
bump and dust. NOT intended for protection against water intrusion."

You know, this whole discussion is very interesting. It just so happens to be that I have had my eye on the OtterBox case for the BlackBerry Storm since before I even got my Storm. In an ideal world, I'd already have one, but since a different one came with the deal that I got from Verizon at the time, I've just been using it instead.

Now, this lone statement comes out on the forum (about having thrown one onto the concrete), and I post up to ask for clarification about it, and all I get is hell for asking the question and presenting what I think is a pretty strong, logical case for an alternate view (that to say that one has thrown it onto the concrete is most likely either a typo or a misunderstanding on my part as to what exactly is meant by the word 'threw' in this situation - thus asking for further clarification).

In the anecdote presented in the PDF, we still do not know the actual calculations of how many G-forces were at play, but it must be still open to question as to whether or not dropping it from 50ft would result in the same force as one actually throwing it onto the same concrete surface. Perhaps it would, but I'm not a mathematician. So, I can't say one way or the other.

Beyond that, even if anyone in here is a mathematician and settled that issue for us and we could know for sure how much force would be involved with such a drop, we still wouldn't know anything about the actual product, because this is an anecdote. We see no 'official' word on the matter, except for the disclaimer at the bottom - which I have already pasted above.

Why it is that so many well-meaning, otherwise intelligent adult humans would choose to argue with me about whether or not it actually makes sense to say that it's OK to 'throw' one of these phone cases onto the concrete is just beyond me.

Nevertheless, I will still probably purchase the OtterBox case (and holster) for my Storm whenever that becomes a reasonable possibility for me.

Thanks again for the story. It was very enjoyable to read. :)
Thanks for putting so much thought into this topic! I guess a conclusion we can all come to is that your device is better protected by an OtterBox than not -- whether you drop it from 3 ft on accident or throw it onto concrete intentionally.

The intention of the case is to provide protection for those unexpected bumps, drops and shocks.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Thanks for putting so much thought into this topic! I guess a conclusion we can all come to is that your device is better protected by an OtterBox than not -- whether you drop it from 3 ft on accident or throw it onto concrete intentionally.

The intention of the case is to provide protection for those unexpected bumps, drops and shocks.
Indeed.
I totally agree. :)
Thanks.

Yay! OtterBox!! :clap:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
:rofl:... AWESOMENESS !... I love a few things about
the otterbox, keeping my iphone safe and sound,
and the size and texture makes it easier to find,
while not being too large and bulky !...

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Why not do the 3510 with foam for your box? I know it is too big for the set you show, but I got one and it works great. It takes a bit of time to get the foam columns out exactly like you want them, but it wasn't that bad. I'm sure you could get a whole socket set and have room to spare for other tools too.
I think what I'd really like would be a box something like this, I just cant find them without the sockets. I'd buy another set, but I have 3 or 4 sets now, of different qualities.

I'd probably need a few of the cases, one each for 3/8 drive standard deep well, 3/8 metric deep well, 1/2 standard deep well, 1/2 metric deep well, then a shared case for the 3/8 non deep well standard and metric, and then the same for the 1/2 drive sockets.

My goal here is not to have them in one big box, but in a few smaller boxes so I can move them around and keep them in my storage box where I have space.

I guess the most important part is keeping the cases inside of the box I made for the back of the FJ, and taking up the least amount of space. I'm one step away from just taping them all together and throwing them in the storage box.

-C

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got the Defender Series for my new Iphone and it is great, and it has survived a few very bad drops.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
They make pads that measure pounds per square inch. I'd have Wuvy throw the phone onto a pad, measure psi, test phone. Then drop from 50 ft, measure psi, test phone. If anyone has such a device to loan us that would be great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ordered 2 for our Blackberry's last night! Just made it under the wire!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Got the Otterbox for my wife's and my iPhone4's !....

Very Kool Case, very well made, VERY Good Protection !

Bought it after seeing it in PERSON !... I'm very happy with them !

41 - 52 of 52 Posts