Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently got hired at All-Pro to be their new engineer and am getting to tag along to the Summit this year as part of the All-Pro entourage. My boss is staying in a hotel but I was planning on doing some camping for the 4 days I'd be there. I called the ranger desk in Ouray and she told me that camping anywhere in the National forest is allowed unless its specifically marked no camping (with a few restrictions like how close to water you can be, etc.). I was wondering if anyone was going to be doing dispersed camping anywhere or if anyone knew of any good campsites. Ive been doing some reading on here and found something about a meadow near the Amphitheater campsite that people stay at, any other places like this? I know the idea of dispersed camping is to get away from the crowds but if there's a small group getting together at non-marked campsite, please let me know, I'd love to join!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Having spent a lot of time in both Montana and Southern Colorado I wish I could give you some more specific information but I can't.

All I can say is that when you're camping in Montana it often feels like nature is making a serious assault on your life.

Camping in Ouray country in July or early August is much more friendly. Just try to say below timberline.

You will have a great time!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
A friend of All-Pro is a friend of mine. Join me in the meadow if you like. Send me a pm for details.

Ace

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are some spots along Yankee Boy but I'm sure they'll be full. Kind of close but not really is Gold King Basin, we camped there one night over the weekend of the 4th and it was amazing. The sunset over one of the alta lakes was worth the thin air and frigid (though you being from Montana I'm sure you'll have better luck than my AZ blood) temperatures at night.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Beautiful camping area just past the bridge leading on to Imogene. It is nearly overgrown, normally, but a right off the main trail takes you to a mine site, then another right drops you down a small hill and then a good climb up what appears to be the face of a dam. Tremendous views and not that far from town.

The meadows above the amphitheater is a fantastic place also. The Imogene site may be less populated though.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
I was wondering if anyone was going to be doing dispersed camping anywhere or if anyone knew of any good campsites. Ive been doing some reading on here and found something about a meadow near the Amphitheater campsite that people stay at, any other places like this? I know the idea of dispersed camping is to get away from the crowds but if there's a small group getting together at non-marked campsite, please let me know, I'd love to join!
The amphitheater camping is the closest to town that I'm aware of, and if you're looking for other Summit folks this is a well known spot. The field at 38.014895, -107.653321 is a popular place for campers going up there to group up. There's been a bear in the area the last couple of years though, so make sure (as you should do camping anywhere up there, really) to properly handle your food and trash.

The camping spots up Imogene / Yankee Boy are a bit farther of a drive, and will be less crowded.

Enjoy Summit! Should be another great year...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the insight, I'm going to try and get a spot at the meadow. See you all there and on the trails, make sure to come to the All-Pro booth to check out our display and say hi!

·
Registered
702 Posts
The amphitheater camping is the closest to town that I'm aware of, and if you're looking for other Summit folks this is a well known spot. The field at 38.014895, -107.653321 is a popular place for campers going up there to group up. There's been a bear in the area the last couple of years though, so make sure (as you should do camping anywhere up there, really) to properly handle your food and trash.

The camping spots up Imogene / Yankee Boy are a bit farther of a drive, and will be less crowded.

Enjoy Summit! Should be another great year...
I have a couple questions for you Jimmy, looks like rain is in the forecast during the evenings of all four days. Is it something that blows in for the evening and then clears up in the morning? What can we expect during our stay? Or are we looking at a possibly damp Summit X?

Thanks for the info in advance.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You can almost be guaranteed rain in the afternoons, at times quite severe. It's called the monsoons. Be prepared.

You really don't want to camp in the meadow. It's full of hungry bears and mean deer. Also lots of mosquitos and ticks. No bueno!

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
I have a couple questions for you Jimmy, looks like rain is in the forecast during the evenings of all four days. Is it something that blows in for the evening and then clears up in the morning? What can we expect during our stay? Or are we looking at a possibly damp Summit X?

Thanks for the info in advance.
You can almost be guaranteed rain in the afternoons, at times quite severe. It's called the monsoons. Be prepared.

You really don't want to camp in the meadow. It's full of hungry bears and mean deer. Also lots of mosquitos and ticks. No bueno!
+1 for @Ace Brown's points, it often rains at Summit in the afternoons as it's cooling off for the night. It's not usually a lot of rain, just make sure your campsite is waterproof.

As for the meadow, I'd camp along the edges rather than down at the bottom, the grass is too high to really camp in the meadow anyway. But most people like how open that area is, so pick a good spot around the edge. It's been pretty crowded up there since people started putting the word out, so I hope you get there early...

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I talked with Old Sarge today, he is planning on camping up there. So you will have company. The only problem is that you have Ace "Bear Bait" Brown up there. They love the guy! I think they visit him every year!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Ugh on giving out the coordinates. Let people find it with some research.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Modern technology blows.

I still haven't made up my mind about compasses.

If you can't tell where you're going by the sun and stars there are always motels. OK, I have a compass on my dash but I consider it to be cheating to look at it.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
"Ugh" on trying to dissuade a fellow FJ'er from using a good camping spot. Besides, he already knew about it:

Ive been doing some reading on here and found something about a meadow near the Amphitheater campsite that people stay at, any other places like this?
So 14 seconds on Google Maps and he'd find it. Or simply driving up the road -- there's only the one road, and it's an in&out, and he's going to get there and find 6 people camped around the meadow -- and he'd find it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well Jimmie, if you read my post #3 you would know that I invited "my fellow FJer" to join me and he accepted. I'm just not happy with you posting coordinates on a public forum. The actual camping room on the meadow is really quite small. I would hate to see it overused and eventually closed.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The bear was in our camp again last night. This time he was caught in our flashlights. The first night here we thought he was around but did not see him. He sure isn't shy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've camped up there before without problem. Just be cautious of your food. Its a good free place to stay. Hope you guys have fun this year! :smile

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Home now and unloading. I only live 70 miles north of Ouray but right now I'm so tired you would think I drove 1500 miles.

Thanks to Noe, Tanner and Monika for company and helping to keep the damn bears away.

I heard that one walked right through the Summit HQ last night.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1469388261.472407.jpg

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
We camped at the lowest spot on the road up to the meadow Tuesday - Sunday. We got a visit from the bear on Wednesday and Thursday nights around 3AM. For those in the area, hopefully the panic button on my FJ didn't ruin your night, but it seemed like the safest way to get rid of him at the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts