Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Little history here!

Having never been too impressed with the package shelf that Toyota calls a rear seat, and not being very pleased with the way the rear seat doesn't fold particularly flat, I decided to ditch the seat and find a better way to use this space.

I don't have a need to haul kids or small adults around with me anymore, but I do have a real need for packin' camping/hunting/fishing gear with me.

This put me on a quest for a solution, and don't-ch-know, I found the answer right here in the Blue Room in the form of a thread by NCFJ.

Thanks "Stan"!

I made my modifications to the original idea in the manner of my cargo management and the coating I chose for my now somewhat larger "package shelf".

I laid out some flanged cargo tie-down strips and inlayed them into 3/4" baltic birch plywood (regular 3/4" plywood will do). This gives me plenty of flexibility for tying down my fridge and other cargo.

I also coated both sides of the board with Durabak Bed Liner Paint, Do It Yourself Bed Liner, Roll On Bed Liner to provide a waterproof surface that wouldn't split or mold if it gets wet. (Think Rhino-liner in a can).

I also added a strip of rail on the forward face of the rail to tie up small stuff that may like otherwise jump around and smack me in the head.

This whole board can be covered with a non-slip rubber mat (found at HD) for daily driving, if you so desire.

I've attached some pictures to give you a better idea!

Thanks, Marc :bigthumb:
Awesome, but a bit challenging to build. Would it be possible for some company to form a hard plastic mold to fit the contour of the bed and pre-install the rails and drill the mounting holes? I'd be very interested in a preformed "drop in" unit.

·
Registered
415 Posts
A couple of better pictures of the final install for your viewing.

Hope these help, Marc
Thank-You very much!
Looks very good...I'm going to copy :bigthumb:
I'll add an additional (removable) piece up front to make longer for sleeping with the seats pushed forward.

ARB fridge will reside back passenger corner, I'll be able to sleep on the drivers side with an inflatable bed roll.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Awesome, but a bit challenging to build. Would it be possible for some company to form a hard plastic mold to fit the contour of the bed and pre-install the rails and drill the mounting holes? I'd be very interested in a preformed "drop in" unit.
This is not a very hard thing to build. If you have a buddy with some carpentry skills it is something that can be built in an afternoon. The costs of building the molds etc to make a commercially available unit are prohibitive given the nature of the relatively small market for such a product.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the nice words, but the props really go to Stan for the initial inspiration. Mine was just a mod to his mod!

I've attached some measurements of the layout for those who have asked.

Hope you all have a happy and blessed 2013 with some great wheeling. :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Banned
6,079 Posts
Wow. I hadn't ever thought of doing that with mine, nor do I really have a place to do it, but I want mine to be like that... I'm always struggling for space somehow, mostly because I don't fold the rear seats down as I don't like the way they fold. Very easy to operate but with little advantage... I like the way yours has a flat surface all the way through. Also the tie-down rails. It's cool. Way cool.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts