Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Toyota, please get rid of the silly mirrors on the FJ Cruiser and replace them with a safer, more conventional mirror with an integral turn signal light and a courtesy puddle light. Could you also install a heater function in them from the factory?

Somebody needed to say it! I think the stock FJ mirrors are a joke. Hey, wow! They have a nifty little light in them! Well, so-friggin'-what!

1) The verticaly oriented profile is an obstruction, whereas a horizontal orientation would eliminate that aspect, and allow better vision of more of the lane on either respective side of the vehicle.

2) They need a built-in turn signal/running light configured as a conventional strip, visible from the front or rear of the vehicle when activated in normal operation. OR, a strip light visible from the front, and an in-the-glass chevron type signal as viewed from the rear.

3) They need a puddle light for extra visibility and safety at night.

4) And one that most folks will agree with, they need heaters installed from the factory.

A lot of people may not have a problem with the stock mirrors at all, and think that they are one of the unique features that set the FJ apart from other vehicles, I'll give them that, they are unique, but in my opinion, they just don't measure up.

I'm certainly not trying to start a big flap over the mirrors, I just wanted to put it out there as one of the things "I'd Like to Tell Toyota".

Cheers Y'all :cheers:
Maxx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like the mirror on my Dad's drastically overpriced Denalli. Ha

But seriously I agree the mirror could be better, but I would not want all those options you suggested. Why, because I don't care enough about them to pay for them. The more you add the more you pay (hence overpriced Denalli).

I put auxiliary wide angled mirrors on my prior vehicle (Dodge Dakota) because those side mirrors were much worse than the FJ's.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Integrated Turn signal and Heated mirror would be nice. But Nothing wrong with the mirrors. The integrated Light is a nice touch. :cheers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
IMO The problem with the fj's mirrors is they are power with no heat.

It is 2012, I just paid over $30,000.00 & don't have heated mirrors!?

I try to except the fact that car prices have gone up (08 was last time I purchased a new vehicle).

No heated mirrors is one of the most unsafe things I can think of.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
819 Posts
The only thing I agree with is heat. I wouldn't be happy if the mirrors stuck out further. I believe they are long to allow you more downward view into the "blind spot".

·
Registered
838 Posts
guess it depends on where your from ........ I have never needed a heated mirror

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Heated mirrors would be nice, but the vertical mirrors have been beneficial to me when offroading and getting a better up/down view of the stuff immediately at my side.

And the turn signals? Isn't that what those lights on the back and front are for?

Oh, and EVERYBODY knows the FJ is one giant blindspot. I don't even signal anymore. I just THINK about changing lanes and everybody around me freaks out and clears the path. :lol:

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Heated mirrors would be nice, but the vertical mirrors have been beneficial to me when offroading and getting a better up/down view of the stuff immediately at my side.

And the turn signals? Isn't that what those lights on the back and front are for?

Oh, and EVERYBODY knows the FJ is one giant blindspot. I don't even signal anymore. I just THINK about changing lanes and everybody around me freaks out and clears the path. :lol:
Everyone goes on and on about the blindspot, but seriously, it's not that bad. If you set your mirrors right, the blind spot is actually very small. Problem is that most people set their mirrors so that they can see the side of the vehicle in the mirror. There is NO reason to need to see the side of the car in the side mirrors. If you set them like that, then the mirrors are showing you what is *behind* the FJ, not what is in its blind spot. Throw those mirrors out WIDE, folks. It takes some getting used to, but the results are fantastic.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I think I just saw the price of an FJ go up by $650. :eek:

But I agree, it does need to feature heated mirrors. I know the FJ is a minimalist vehicle, but heated mirrors really isn't adding much in the way of luxury. As for the lights bling, naw, people see my turn signals just fine. And like mckinngk just said, people tend to get the hell out of the way! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
2) They need a built-in turn signal/running light configured as a conventional strip, visible from the front or rear of the vehicle when activated in normal operation. OR, a strip light visible from the front, and an in-the-glass chevron type signal as viewed from the rear.

Cheers Y'all :cheers
Maxx
Something like this?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Really, non heated mirrors are unsafe? Wow, every single one of my vehicles I've ever had have been a serious hazard on the road...geez.

As for the rest, just adjust them properly and it's all good. I'd be more worried about the "terrible" rearward visibility.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you don't understand iced & fogged mirrors are unsafe.

Anytime you can't see is unsafe.

I don't know how else I can explain it to you.

But if you like paying over $30,000.00 for a new vehicle and get less options, the dealers must love you lol

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
If you don't understand iced & fogged mirrors are unsafe.

Anytime you can't see is unsafe.

I don't know how else I can explain it to you.

But if you like paying over $30,000.00 for a new vehicle and get less options, the dealers must love you lol

Are not fogged and iced windows unsafe as well? I have tools for these as well: ICE SCRAPER for scraping ice. TOWEL for wiping fog. Both incredibly work well on mirrors too!

I do agree that it would be a nice option, however people are being just too dramatic about it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts