Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
I have power mirrors too................for clarification, the whole mirror (housing and all) would pivot 90 degrees in such a manner that the (present) top right hand corner of the mirror would become the top left hand corner, thus orienting the mirror with the long axis horizontal rather than vertical. (which would present a wider, and lower, field of view) The complete unit could lock into either position.
I see what you mean.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Actually, if you flip the mirrors from side to side then rotate them down 90* they would work perfectly. Thinking about exploring the possibility of fabbing inner mounting arms with 90* bends that would allow this mod. It would need a small bellows to conceal the new bent mounting arm but is probably doable and would maintain the factory look and even the silly running lights in the upper/outer positions.
Guess I have too much time on my hands during my commute ;~)
@5500 This is good thinking, and is exactly what I thought of right after I bought my FJ. :thinkerg: After looking closely at this concept for a couple months now, I found that there are some potential problems/design obstacles:

1) When rotated 90 degrees, the mirror head would require a "tilted back" orientation to maintain a proper angle on the forward facing light. This angle would potentially limit the travel range of the mirror glass as viewed by the driver.

2) The pivot mechanism for the mirror head is built into the mirror housing, not the mounting base on the door. This poses a real problem as to how one would fabricate a suitable pivot/break-away function for the mirror with a 90 degree elbow.

3) The R-to-L side mirror head swap would put the convex passenger side glass on the driver's side. This might not work for some folks.

I thought about taking two sets of mirrors and cannibalizing them to cut them apart to effectively fabricate a set of mirrors with the heads in a horizontal orientation. I am not afraid to fabricate just about anything within my skills and abilities however, this would require quite a bit of work with some doubt as to the acceptability of the finished product, and still leaves some of the afore mentioned problems unanswered.

I also thought of swapping the mirror heads L-to-R, then having someone like Muth custom make flat glass with heat and turn signals for the horizontal orientation.

I have poured over thousands (over 5K on Amazon alone) of photos of mirrors from a myriad of different auto manufacturers to see if I could find a suitable replacement for the stock FJ mirrors. The side mirrors from circa 2000 Lexus RX 300s is a possibility that I am looking at now. A direct bolt-on, or mirror head swap to the FJ base is a possibility. I need to do more research on it.

FreeRangeFJ Is right on track also with the idea of the mirror head being able to pivot 90 degrees for towing, rock crawling, etc. I was out looking at Heavy Duty pickups just a few days ago, and Dodge has this feature already built-in to it's 2500 & 3500 series mirrors, along with a separate, adjustable convex blind-spot mirror in the mirror head. The mirror is in a normally horizontal position, and flips up & out 90 degrees to a vertical orientation. Very Nice! :clap: The same concept could be adapted to the FJ.

I also need to add that the Dodge 3500 DRW is $54K, and one would probably expect such a feature when paying that much for a truck.

To some, the mirrors are a non-issue. I think it's really good to see that many others are thinking out of the box on this subject.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ NestaEdition: Gotta tell you, that is dope! No need for heated mirrors here in Pac. NW, but the signal feature would sure be great. It tends to chase out the jerks who like to sit in your rear quarter just to prevent you from changing into their lane. They match your speed; essentially blocking you as if they are in a NASCAR race. No real reason to do it; only because they can.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have aftermarket heat installed in my mirrors by the previous owner... have to wait for winter to see how thy work, but I have a feeling they are a joke...

·
Banned
393 Posts
There are many threads on this forum that complaint about things like lack of heated mirrors, heated seats, Bluetooth connectivity, retractable antenna, any many other convenience and luxury items. Well, if all these things are important to you, and you want a vehicle built on exactly the same platform as the FJ, go and buy the Lexus GX.

Yes, Lexus GX shares the platform, suspension, transmission (and rest of drivetrain) with the FJ Cruiser, is (almost) as off-road capable, and includes all the luxury some of this forum members are so eager to have. The only problem is that is starts at $53k.

Now, if you want a vehicle that is as strong, capable and reliable as Lexus GX, but can only afford less then $30k, then be ready to sacrifice on the luxury and buy an FJ.

I'd rather have Toyota put the money where it matters (i.e. mechanical quality and dependability) rather than in luxury. If FJ is to remain affordable, you can't have both, it's a simple matter of cost. Yes, Toyota could build an under-$30k vehicle with all the luxury items that are sooooo...... important to some people. Only that if they do it, you will get the off-road capability and mechanical reliability of a Chrysler Sebring.

If Toyota listens to these suggestions, the FJ will quickly evolve into the latest incarnation of Land Cruiser or Range Rover.

The choice is yours:

- Want a capable, reliable off-road vehicle but can't spend too much money - get an FJ (and accept the fact that you get the best mechanical quality and dependability you're meager <$30k can buy, albeit without luxury items)

- Want everything - off-road capability, dependability AND luxury - choose one of these fine vehicles: Lexus GX ($53k and up), Lexus LX ($80k and up) or Toyota Land Cruiser ($67k and up)

- Want luxury, but don't want to spend more than $30k - get a Hyundai Sonata, a Chrysler 300, a VW Passat, a Chevy Malibu.

There is only so much that $28k or $30k can buy - as a consumer you have choice where to put your money. But Toyota can't do miracles and give you EVERYTHING for so little cash. Simple and plain. The profit margins in auto industry are extremely thin, and car manufacturers have been doing close to miracles to make vehicles more and more capable and reliable, while maintaining costs under control. Most people take it for granted, but cars today are substantially safer, orders of magnitude more reliable, and have better performance than anything available on the market 30 years ago. Just consider this example - the FJ, a clunky, bulky and heavy, moderately priced SUV is faster than a V8 Ford Mustang from 30 years ago. Or check crash test results between a 30 years old and a modern, comparably-sized vehicle. Or manufacturers warranty - 3 years bumper-to-bumper / 5 years drivetrain is the minimum you get today - 30 years ago the standard warranty was 1 year.

Could Toyota build a "perfect" off-road vehicle? Sure. The problem is that nobody except a 1% of the 1% would be able to afford it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Everyone goes on and on about the blindspot, but seriously, it's not that bad. If you set your mirrors right, the blind spot is actually very small. Problem is that most people set their mirrors so that they can see the side of the vehicle in the mirror. There is NO reason to need to see the side of the car in the side mirrors. If you set them like that, then the mirrors are showing you what is *behind* the FJ, not what is in its blind spot. Throw those mirrors out WIDE, folks. It takes some getting used to, but the results are fantastic.
i did, Muth mirrors, heated, chevron in glass style turn signs, comes as a complete mirror with harness. i bought new blacked out mirrors to install them in it looks great. i sussed out and had a custom shop do the install though....don't hate because of that!!!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Something FJamming came up with in another thread, for kicks...

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Considering the FJ Cruiser is suppose to be a "retro FJ40 landcruiser" you should be happy they didn't have those little round mirrors. I wouldn't want the blinkers in my mirrors because I see that more of a mini van option and I don't think a real 4x4 needs all that crap... errrrr "stuff". You can get heated mirrors for the FJ and I have talked to a few that said their FJC came with them so I am thinking they were a dealer add on because of where they live. Next you will want heated glass all around so they never fog/ice up on you, other than the heater blowing on them and the back heated window.

I suppose you can always purchase some Denalli side mirrors for $800 each and install them on your FJ :rofl:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are not fogged and iced windows unsafe as well? I have tools for these as well: ICE SCRAPER for scraping ice. TOWEL for wiping fog. Both incredibly work well on mirrors too!

I do agree that it would be a nice option, however people are being just too dramatic about it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thank you voice of reason. How lazy are you people that you can't take 2 seconds to cleAr your mirrors off??????

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
the reason for the mirrors to be taller than wider is that you can have the horizon adjusted close to the top and still see your rear tires. its important when crawling to see the position of the rear tires.
most people dont even know how to adjust their mirrors. if you can see your car in your mirrors, you are adjusting them wrong. try to have minimum overlapping between the three mirrors.
as for heated mirrors. never had them. I have garages for my cars. if you park outside, just put some cover over the mirrors. if you need to clean the mirrors, you probably need to scrape the windows too. get some spray on de-icer if you are lazy.
besides its super easy to add your own heated mirrors. there are pads out there where you can tap into the rear defogger.
if you are not capable of doing that, maybe you should not have a car in the first place.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I understand the desire to have heated mirrors and it should be a choice. Here's the problem. Adding heated mirrors to the accessory list will just end up being installed in one of their packages. Then, you will have to have them with that accessory package for lets say 600-700 bucks. Then of course the trucks in stock will have that accessory package. In the long run, many will end up with heated mirrors that don't want them. It's called steering you to purchasing something you don't want.
My big complaint is that I can't get the squeegee behind the mirror for a total swipe in one shot . So can we have the mirrors moved out, by lets say 1/2 inch? :lol::jester:

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Thank you voice of reason. How lazy are you people that you can't take 2 seconds to cleAr your mirrors off??????
Ther same people who are to lazy to brush the snow off their vehicle before driving away.
I can say after 22 yrs of winter driving in Canada I have never had a need or had the thought of heated mirrors.

·
Registered
499 Posts
All these options are nice, but that what they are... Options. And it would be much chapter for you to get it done afterwards than to Gabe it done as a dealer option.
To me the answer is simple, if Toyota thought there would be enough interest out there for them to offer that option and make money then they would have.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree the mirrors could to with heat but, the shape of the FJ is based on the FJ40... Have a look at its mirrors and then that'll explain why they are the shape they are.

My 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
up here in the northeast, its a real danger to have you mirrors ice up while driving. its not enough to just scrape them when you start, the snow swirls around and re-ices them in 30 seconds. so heated mirrors are a necessity! this isnt southern California up here!! :rocker:keep rollin"

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
^^^^^^Ya had them on my 68 Ford pickup.
I ripped them off so many times, the door looked like I was in a shootout.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts