Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching project farms video on youtube where he tests engine air filters, I did more research and found that the K&N's suck at filtering. There is tons of info out there on other forums and websites and I would rather sacrifice the better airflow of the K&N for better filtering.

I'm also going to order a new MAF sensor even though I've been cleaning every year just incase the one I have now has any issues from the K&N.

I'll post the stock replacement K&N filter I have on here for sale sometime soon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of filter are you going to go back to, stock?
Yep, back to stock. I have the OEM air intake with the K&N filter element in my 2012. From searching around last night and researching a bit, it seems like WIX, AC Delco, and Purolator seem to be the best for paper filters. I'm going to give the WIX a shot.

I found out that WIX was making a rebranded filter for NAPA (NAPA Gold) but, not sure if that is the case anymore.

·
Registered
917 Posts
K&N's filters are hot garbage, congrats on escaping them. Wix filters are very good. I would't really worry about the MAF sensor unless you got a CEL, just hose it down with some sensor cleaner and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
After watching project farms video on youtube where he tests engine air filters, I did more research and found that the K&N's suck at filtering. ...

I'll post the stock replacement K&N filter I have on here for sale sometime soon.
wait so they suck at filtering and can cause damage, but you are going to post it for sale to some other FJ forum member? What am i missing?

Why not just use the OEM Denso Filter you can get from Rock Auto for $8.94 for '10-14 models and $9.91 for '07-09 models.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I use K&N for daily driving and swap out for a paper filter when I hit the dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
"I use K&N for daily driving and swap out for a paper filter when I hit the dirt" - that sounds like a lot of work, plus having to re-oil the K&N every few 1000 miles so that it will filter.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
@Nameuser here was the difference in pleats on my 07 filter between toyota and Wix. Wix sorta looked cheap and for less than $10 makes sense. I guess we're spoiled by the neatly packed pleats by Toyota. Not sure it's as durable but I guess you could go through 2-3 Wix for the price of one Yota filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wait so they suck at filtering and can cause damage, but you are going to post it for sale to some other FJ forum member? What am i missing?

Why not just use the OEM Denso Filter you can get from Rock Auto for $8.94 for '10-14 models and $9.91 for '07-09 models.
If someone wants it they can buy it a cheap price otherwise, it's; goin in the trash.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Nameuser here was the difference in pleats on my 07 filter between toyota and Wix. Wix sorta looked cheap and for less than $10 makes sense. I guess we're spoiled by the neatly packed pleats by Toyota. Not sure it's as durable but I guess you could go through 2-3 Wix for the price of one Yota filter.
View attachment 1132804
Nothing wrong with the OEM filters. I still have my original OEM filter and I'm going to visually compare the two and decide to go OEM or not. I'm going to use the WIX for 10k because I already ordered it but, if the OEM has more pleats and more depth, I'll go back to the OEM. For the 2010+ model year the price of the WIX over the OEM isn't that much.

I'll post some comparison pics on here between the OEM and the WIX when i get it. :)

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
I recently cleaned my MAF sensor for the first time (175K miles). Oh my god, what a difference in engine smoothness and performance!! I've always run just regular auto parts store filters. I guess I didnt realize there was that much of a difference. Following ...

·
Registered
441 Posts
"I use K&N for daily driving and swap out for a paper filter when I hit the dirt" - that sounds like a lot of work, plus having to re-oil the K&N every few 1000 miles so that it will filter.
re oiling every oil change isn’t that big of a deal... and it’s two clips to change it out to a paper filter . Is it really a lot of work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2011 FJ Cruiser - Iceberg - 4x4 - Automatic - Offroad Package - Convenience Package
13 Posts
Smart to get rid of the K&N. I'm new to the FJ Forum but have been on a Dodge Cummins Diesel forum for many years and this is a big issue for the turbo charged Cummins. Many horror stories of dusted engines using an oiled K&N or S&B. The OEM filters for my truck come in 2" and 4" depths. I run the 4" and it will hold a ton of dirt and still not trip the filter minder. Attached is a photo of my filter after last Fall's Deer and Elk hunts. Intake tubes were clean as a whistle! Does the OEM Toyota air filter come in just one size?

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the WIX yesterday and took some pics vs the OEM. Both filters had 109 pleats same size LxWxH. The OEM had little ridges on the pleats that would keep them separated which, the WIX didn't have which, you can see in the pics. Both filters had the same feel both in paper texture and the spongy filter frame. The WIX was made in China and the OEM made by Denso was Japan.

I'd say the OEM Denso has a slight advantage with being made in Japan. Minus the little ridges the OEM had to keep the pleats separated and the metal grate the WIX has there is really no other difference.

I searched around for anything on the internet that tested an OEM filters ability to filter vs. a non-OEM paper filter. If anyone finds a test where an OEM filter is tested for it's filtering ability vs. a non-OEM, please share. Until then, there is no way of telling by just looking at the filters which one has better filter capability. From the tests of non-OEM filters out there the WIX certainly does a good job of filtering over other non-OEM brands from what i found online.

Another annoying thing is that OEM's claim their the best with no evidence and the non-OEM's all claim that they are as good or better than OEM without any proof.

I'd say if you can't decide to just stick with the OEM. In my case, I feel the WIX is just as good and hopefully, a little better at filtering from the information and tests I found online testing non-OEM filters against one another for their filtering ability.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the WIX yesterday and took some pics vs the OEM. Both filters had 109 pleats same size LxWxH. The OEM had little ridges on the pleats that would keep them separated which, the WIX didn't have which, you can see in the pics. Both filters had the same feel both in paper texture and the spongy filter frame. The WIX was made in China and the OEM made by Denso was Japan.

I'd say the OEM Denso has a slight advantage with being made in Japan. Minus the little ridges the OEM had to keep the pleats separated and the metal grate the WIX has there is really no other difference.

I searched around for anything on the internet that tested an OEM filters ability to filter vs. a non-OEM paper filter. If anyone finds a test where an OEM filter is tested for it's filtering ability vs. a non-OEM, please share. Until then, there is no way of telling by just looking at the filters which one has better filter capability. From the tests of non-OEM filters out there the WIX certainly does a good job of filtering over other non-OEM brands from what i found online.

Another annoying thing is that OEM's claim their the best with no evidence and the non-OEM's all claim that they are as good or better than OEM without any proof.

I'd say if you can't decide to just stick with the OEM. In my case, I feel the WIX is just as good and hopefully, a little better at filtering from the information and tests I found online testing non-OEM filters against one another for their filtering ability.

View attachment 1132909 . View attachment 1132910 View attachment 1132911 View attachment 1132912 View attachment 1132913 View attachment 1132914 View attachment 1132915 View attachment 1132916 View attachment 1132917 View attachment 1132918

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 1132909 . View attachment 1132910 View attachment 1132911 View attachment 1132912 View attachment 1132913 View attachment 1132914 View attachment 1132915 View attachment 1132916 View attachment 1132917 View attachment 1132918
Oh yeah, the orange one is the WIX and the black is the Toyota OEM.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I also, held both of the filters up to a bright light and the WIX let a little bit more light through but, this could be due to the filter material being a lighter color than the OEM. The pleats of both filters felt to be the same thickness from just feeling them with my fingers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I do like how the pre-filter white material completely covers the pleats on the WIX.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll test out how the WIX fits into the air filter box this weekend vs. the OEM. I'll check snugness and if the clamping force if more or less when I close up the airbox.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts