Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Well I had to pull the 3rd again due to a carrier bearing failure that lead to R&P destruction out on the trail.

At this point I wouldn't change much in the write up but I'd like to clarify a few points where it is a bit vague or lacking in detail.

* I will be doing the initial gear oil change at 100 miles and again at 500 followed by the switch to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90. The oil was hella nasty at 500 and I don't want that stuff in there any longer than it has to be.

* For reassembly this time I decided to used a skim coat of FIPG on both sides of the OEM gasket mainly because I had some laying around. I wanted to try out the lube locker gasket but time was a factor and I couldn't wait.

* The plate that holds the locker's wiring connection goes around the back of the locker with the two bolt holes on the front side when viewed from the front to the back. I struggled with this last time and got whooped again this time maybe it's just me, IDK.

* The locker switch that gets bolted to the case is 27mm. I previously stated 1 1/16 which will work, there is also plenty of room for a crescent wrench.

* I did NOT remove the calipers from the hub this time.

* With regard to the e-locker, there doesn't appear to be any significant play that allows for rotation to set the knock pin as it is held in place by two bolts, not sure what that is about in the manual.

Total time from FJ on the ground to 3rd on the bench took me <1.5 hours
Re assembly was slightly higher but I took my time cleaning and inspecting this and other areas too. Oh and I still hate cleaning the gasket material from the axle housing, by far the crappiest most time consuming part of the whole job, LOL.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Nice write up
I need to pull my third, to do the gasket. I have the lube locker waiting for it , this time
For some reason, I cant get a good seal .
I will give a report, on the gasket replacement, when I do

Glad you back , up and running , again :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any word from LL on the gasket? How bad is your leak?

Thought I had some leakage at the carrier gasket but it turned out to be the input seal, having a preload spacer saved my arse.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
This is a great write up. You should make a copy and put it in the How to technical Articals also. This should definetly be saved.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
What do you recommend as the best way to clean out the interior of the axle housing, esp. if shards of metal are present from the r&p grenading?

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
How much to come over and pull my 3rd?

Not the R&P this time. Something else broken that is not allowing the e-locker to fully engage

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
How much to come over and pull my 3rd?

Not the R&P this time. Something else broken that is not allowing the e-locker to fully engage
By not "fully" engage do you mean the light blinks constantly? Or does the light go solid and you can tell it's not engaged some other way?

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Light blinks constantly. Had external part of locker and sensor checked by Master Toyota Tech and they are working fine. He tried to manually engage the locker with no luck. When trying to push the fork over it only moves about half as far as it should. Something broken inside. :flame:

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Thinking about Sat or Sun morning. Need to determine if I can simply replace a broken part or need to order a complete built third.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thinking about Sat or Sun morning. Need to determine if I can simply replace a broken part or need to order a complete built third.
Sorry to hear that Steve. Hopefully you won't have to replace the 3rd. If you do, atleast you have some time for the break in prior to Summit.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Steve I'll be at your place at 7:30
John how is the new setup? I bet you are digging that front locker, I'm so jelly

·
Registered
671 Posts
Steve I'll be at your place at 7:30
John how is the new setup? I bet you are digging that front locker, I'm so jelly
Well the FJ is still up in Dallas. I'll be picking it up on the 17th. Looking forward to trying it all out.

Good luck this weekend with Steve's FJ.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I don't want to make light of someone else's misfortune, but the timing of the resurrection of this thread couldn't be better ... I have a regeared 3rd on the way from ECGS necessitated by an increasingly noisy diff that started at about 64,000 miles... excellent write-up istambull ... thanks ... Steve, I hope whatever is wrong with yours is fixable with little hassle and expense ...
:cheers:

2007 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
Clazzio Seat Covers

In the Mail – DeMello Hybrid Sliders / ECGS 3rd member 4.56 gears /
ECGS Front Diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Very nice writhe up, I was looking for this.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Very nice writhe up, I was looking for this.

definitely doable if you have the tools, a place to do it, and someone to help ... :cheers:

·
Registered
427 Posts
About to tackle this in my garage this weekend, wish me luck. I ordered a prebuilt from ECGS and I hope this is the only problem when I crack her open.

After reading the OP's redo, it looks like I don't have to separate the calipers. I'm assuming I just have to unbolt the break like to flex the few inches the shafts have to come out.

Should I pull the shafts? could debris from the gears get past that?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts