Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,766 Posts
Just have to say thanks for this write-up. My buddy and I tackled the rear 3rd on my 2007 this past weekend. A few "duh" moments but overall it went great. Going to stick with the 85w140 - it's what ECGS sent with the 3rd and their note with the shipment said to only use that.
Congrats on the swap! I recently installed an 8.2 third/rear axle off a '13, and ECGS front, regearing to 4.56 and found the 85w140 recommended by ECGS was incredibly stiff in our subzero weather. Convo with them about it - they said ok to go lighter even during break-in given the local temps. So went to Lucas Dino 75w90 and much easier shifting. Gonna stick with that for front, rear and TC, as I've been hearing more and more people agreeing about non-synthetic for gears. But I may go back to 140 in the diffs for hard wheeling this summer in Moab - extra protection :rocker:

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
First off I want to thank the OP for a hell of write up, this helped me tremendously last weekend in my gear swaps. :rocker:

Also wanted to see if anyone else out there runs the Sprint Booster? You see since the swap I've turned my Booster off and noticed this thing is peppy as can be without it on and almost dangerous in sport mode. Can't wait to see how it pulls in the steep rocks!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Haven't checked in here in a looooong time but I'm glad to see it is still getting some use.
Probably old news for the forum but per recommendations from both ECGS and Currie I'm no longer using synthetics in the diffs and have switched to heavier 75w140 oil.

No comment on the SB but I have been interested since catching wind in the now shutdown GB.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,766 Posts
First off I want to thank the OP for a hell of write up, this helped me tremendously last weekend in my gear swaps. :rocker:

Also wanted to see if anyone else out there runs the Sprint Booster? You see since the swap I've turned my Booster off and noticed this thing is peppy as can be without it on and almost dangerous in sport mode. Can't wait to see how it pulls in the steep rocks!
Look out Moab here we come! :rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank you, OP, for this article and pics. Dunno if this was mentioned already, but if you're swapping a rebuilt unit - make sure the diff lock motor is setup in total accordance with the FSM. Had to do the job twice - one for swapping the faulty diff and two - just to get the diff lock correctly. It's pretty easy, but the amount of work you need to do to get there... ugh!

So if your diff won't unlock after the swap - 99% that the motor was not rotated as it should have been.

I believe it's possible to adjust without pulling the diff again, but I also forgot about the liquid gasket, so only way for me was the hard one.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts