Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to begin with this is my first how to article i have ever done. (so please be nice lol) with that being said i shall continue

So i noticed that consistently when leaving my blower on high and shutting the car off as the blower motor would stop spinning you could here it make a sort of squeaking noise. so i decided to search the forms and found a few people having the same problem but no solution besides replacing it. well id rather not go drop the money for a new blower motor. so here is how you solve the annoying noise all you need is a ratchet with the correct size socket paper towel and a can of wd-40 or equivalent oil.

First locate the blower motor. it is on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side. you will have to lay on the floor of the car so you may want to remove any rocks beforehand if not you will regret it. while looking up at the dash the blower motor is in the middle on that side has three screws and one connector on it.

Once you find the blower motor you simply need to depress the lock on the connector and remove it from the blower motor(if you want you can do this after removing the bolts if you prefer)

Next remove the three bolts as mentioned before when you find it. they are in a triangular pattern. (note you Must use a shallow well socket and a small to medium ratchet or you will not be able to get the back bolt out.)

when removing the last bolt make sure to use your other hand to hold the motor up so it does not just drop out. also make sure you note where the connector for the wires is located.

then slowly drop the blower motor a bit and rotate the motor clockwise to get it free of the wiring harness and then drop it right out.

When i got mine out what did i find? rust on the shaft for the cage which ik its a Toyota but still the blower motor really????? come on.

now for the fix. you just have to put a bit of wd-40(or equivalent) on the end of the shaft. if the motor is sitting the same as how it was removed it is in the center. then after that look for the gap between the cage( round spins if holding the bottom and has a bunch of fins all the way around) you will also find the wiring connector in this gap. so i went opposite the connector flip the motor upside down and spray some oil in their it doesn't take much. let it sit for a few mins for the oil to run down and then flip it back over and wipe off all of the execs oil.

Then just re install same steps to remove in reverse just remember were that wiring connector went and then turn it on and be amazed how much quieter it is! :clap:

If you read this far than Thank You and i hope it helped :cheers:

Any other questions pm me or ask in this thread.

·
Registered
695 Posts
thanks for this, great DIY fix. I also have a problem with the motor, but my issue is that it makes a buzz when the fan is set on 1, goes away at higher speeds. Will try this fix though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most people will ask for pictures. Don't need them though. Good write up man. Been noticing this problem alot more recently.

·
Admin
7,224 Posts
I've been meaning to oil the blower motor... thx for the write-up and explaining just how easy it is.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Wow thanks buddy. I checked this out before and no schitt the manual pretty much said remove the whole dashboard and or engine and firewall.
You made my day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You all for the positive feedback!

@FOX3: sadly i do not have a camera that's worth messing with to get pics for this how to. but if anyone else wants to their more than welcome to put them up!

@gasman: that sounds like something in the blower motor but the fjc has a cabin air filter to prevent this from happening. might go ahead and pull the cabin air filter to and check it or if it was pulled before sometimes debris can fall of when you pull it out and go into the motor. i got mine out in just a couple of mins and most of the time i was taking the crap out of my glove box. if you need a write up for that as well just let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the bearing is done, I cannot see how oiling the blower motor will help. WD-40 is probably one of the worst things to use in an HVAC system. It is known for ruining entire down draft paint booth ventilation systems. I certainly would not want to put my child into a vehicle where WD-40 was used and will be spread by a blower motor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I solved my squeaking blower fan with a new TYC unit from ebay $36 done. Parts are getting cheap where it dosent make sense to fix the old worn parts anymore.

And just to add to this discussion. When the blower motor wears out, the brushes on the motor wear too. The motor will draw more power to turn the fan and this adds stress to the resistor. The resistor is the part that controls the fan speeds. At some point the worn motor will fry the resistor leaving you with only high speed and now you are spending $120 for another part to run the fan. Its best to just buy a new fan unit.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,871 Posts
Looks like the resistor is only $25. BUT, if the worn blower makes it fail a bunch it could certainly add up. Good info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts