Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used the Blue Sea components to build a dual battery set up? Seems to work great on boats, wondering if there's any reason it wouldn't work as well in an FJ. Thinking about using these:

Fisheries - Product Detail
Fisheries - Product Detail

Along with marine-grade wire, etc.

Other than the cost of figuring out how to mount in the second battery box (which seems well covered) it seems like a slightly cheaper route than the Dirty Parts kit - what am I missing by using these parts?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
That switch panel is huge - where are you going to put it? It would surely work though; you'd just have to manually turn the switches for what ever charging configuration you wanted.

Most people (myself included) are more lazy and just use a high-current solenoid for an isolater, that can be set to automatically connect both batteries for charging when the ignition is on, and separate both batteries when the ignition is off.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, that looks great - what isolator is that? And how is the switch wired? Primary on / both on?

BTW put my full set of Ricochet armor through the paces last weekend, held up great. No issues whatsoever, slides as well as steel IMO. Glad to have it :)

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Yeah that switch is way to big. I've been researching this too and don't like any of the elecrtical switching methods, since you can never truly run on battery2 alone. They always need the main in the loop some how. So I found Blue Sea PN 6007200 that I'm planning to use, when the time comes.

Mini Batt Sw, 1-2-off-both, black BS-6007200

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Yeah that switch is way to big. I've been researching this too and don't like any of the elecrtical switching methods, since you can never truly run on battery2 alone. They always need the main in the loop some how. So I found Blue Sea PN 6007200 that I'm planning to use, when the time comes.

Mini Batt Sw, 1-2-off-both, black BS-6007200

This looks like the big arse switch we use in lifeboats to start the engine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Check out the dual battery components that Painless products sells. I used that for my dual battery setup and have been happy with it so far. Not automatic though. You have to throw the toggle switch for either both charging, main charging, or backup battery charging.

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Try Dana marine for a smaller boat battery switch.

I still don't understand why people want to use a switch. Old technology. Get the automatic stuff
As I see it the switch has better benefits. Total battery separation - I can run on 1 only, 2 only, Both or have both totally disconnected. You cannot do this with the solenoid type installs. The solenoid setups always require the main battery to be in the loop, so you can only run in 1 only and Both modes.

Additionally the switch does not need a power source to operate or stay in operation. Thus if the battery it's connected to (as a power source) has a complete failure you will need to rewire it to the other battery to get things working again.

Really the only benefit the soleniods offer over a switch is that it's a little more convenient to use and has more mounting options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts