Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

DIY Hi-Lift mount system- cheap

30K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  A.R.A. 
#1 · (Edited)
Items needed:
1 1/2" pipe clamps (3) got mine from McCoy's $5ea
Fender washers (3)
Wing nuts (3)

Note, it can be done with 2 of each but I'd recommend replacing the bolts with grade 8. Grade 8 bolts can also be used for 3 mounts as well. But I used provided hardware for mine.

Pipe clamps come as shown...

Remove the nut and bolt and paint with spray-on bed liner.

Select your mounting position on your rack and wrap with electrical tape for traction. Then mount clamps loosely using the nut provided.

Hold up jack and space out the mounts to match the holes.
Once happy, tighten down the nuts.
Mount Hi-lift and use the fender washers and wing nuts. If not using grade 8 bolts... Don't over tighten. Fender washers should bend in a little.

Lock with a handgun lock... The one with the flexible cable.
You're done.
Check tightness daily until you are comfortable with the mounts.
I've tested mine for a few months now without a problem. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it works so far. I apologize in advance if someone beat me to this.
Enjoy!:rocker:

See less See more
#2 ·
I did this exact same thing 3 years ago. I used a double 1 1/2 inch clamp and cut it in half. Hey, I'm extra cheap! I posted it one one of the earlier Hi-Lift jack mounting threads, but I can't remember which one...

I've had mine all over the country including Mexico and it works great! The jack stays in place!

cheers,

dale

#3 · (Edited)
Cool. I've been everywhere with mine as well. I'm glad I wasn't the first one to do this. :cheers: sorry I didn't find that thread earlier! Would have saved me $10 in R&D :rofl:

Too bad the double clamp didn't fit the hi-lift holes...

#4 ·
We don't have a "mccoys" here, could you possibly put up a link? This is what I've been looking for, something stupid easy, that is stout enough, at a reasonable price.

#12 ·
I'll look for a manufacturer and part number. The hardware store here has a large stock of these due to me buying them out and making them reorder. Worst case... I can send you some.

#15 ·
Found a part number. Google 1WKA5. There must be another manufacturer because these are much more expensive than at the store. But it's a starting point...

#16 ·
A good plumbing supply shop will have these or any store that has an extensive plumbing supply. Ask for a pipe repair clamp, leak repair clamp or sometimes referred to as a band-it leak clamp.

#19 ·
that's a sweet alternative. nicely done

#21 ·
#23 ·
No one around here has those pipe clamps (all I could find was 1/2" or 3/4" clamps) so I have to order the Jones-Stephens clamps online.

Can anyone tell me what size stud the clamps have so I can also order fender washers and wing nuts?

Thanks,
mbogo

#24 ·
I'm not sure what size I bought. I went to the hardware store and just found one that would fit. I think it may have been a 3/8th but I can't remember.

#25 ·
What size Hi-Lift are you guys using with this DIY mount? My 48" Hi-lift won't fit; the OEM rack is too close to the roof for the large runner to clear.

mbogo

#27 ·

Enjoy!:rocker:
So with what you did, is it nice and tight as it is? Because it looks like the jack is very close to the roof and I wouldn't want to do this and then end up with a dented/scratched up roof

#28 ·
I moved it to the passenger side and pointed the large runner upwards. :thinkerg:

The elastic cord is there until I can get a locking cable on it.
:bigthumb:

mbogo

#29 ·
So I couldn't find clamps anywhere lol so I made this for like $4.

4 washers. 2 wingnuts. 2 5in carriage bolts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.