Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am posting this for people who are interested in doing this mod. I will not be responsible for damages any damages a result of this mod. It is very important that you do not reverse the positive and negative wires here or you can permanently damage your garage door opener remote.

I started this project because I wanted to conceal the garage door opener from plain sight while at the same time not having to worry about replacing the battery forever.

Materials required: (Picture 1)
100 ohm resistor
150 ohm resistor
LM317T voltage regulator
Push button momentary switch
18 gauge wire (red and black)
Soldering gun and soldering wire
Electrical tape
Multimeter
(All of the above can be purchased at Radioshack)

Optional materials: (Picture 2)
12V relay
12V LED
18 gauge white wire (actually any other color will do. It’s for easy identification purposes)
Heat shrink tubing
Pack of male & female quick disconnects
T-Taps

Install time: 30mins to 4 hours. It all depends on which route you want to go, and how fast you can work.

I attached 2 wiring diagrams in this thread. One diagram is a basic configuration with an optional LED and the other diagram is configured with a relay. (Picture 10 and Picture 11)

There are 2 reasons why you would want to put a relay.(This is the route that I went).
1. Your garage door opener has more than one button, and you would like the other buttons to remain functional.
2. If your alarm system has an extra channel, you can integrate this mod to your alarm system and use your key fob to open your garage door.

If your garage door remote only has 1 button, or you only use one button then go with the basic configuration diagram.

Preparation: LM317T voltage converter (Picture 3):
1. Connect a red wire to pin 1
2. Connect a 100 ohm resistor from pin 2 to pin 3
3. Connect a 150 ohm resistor from pin 3 to black wire
4. Connect a red wire at the head of the LM317T voltage converter
5. Wrap electrical tape or put heat shrink tubing between pin1 and pin 2.
6. Use your multimeter to test if your voltage converter is working.
To test: (Picture 5)
a. Set your multimeter to read for voltage or DC voltage.
b. Connect the red wire from pin 1 to your battery +.
c. Connect one end of the black wire to the battery -.
d. Connect the other end of the black wire to the black lead of your tester.
e. Connect the red wire that’s from the head of the LM317T voltage converter to the red lead of your tester
f. Your meter should read 3.xxx. If not, check your wiring. Your voltage should also stay the same regardless if your engine is on or off.

Preparation: Garage door opener remote (Picture 4)
My remote is a Craftsman in case you’re wondering.
1. Open your remote and look at the bottom of the circuit board.
2. Identify the positive and negative terminals
3. Identify the terminals that are used for the button switch.(Some switches have 2 some have four). Use the multimeter if you’re not sure. In your multimeter, there is a continuity tester. It will say OPEN if there is no continuity and SHORT if there is.
To test:
a. Attach the red lead to one terminal
b. Attach the black lead to another terminal
c. Your multimeter should read OPEN.
d. Press the button on your garage door opener remote. If it reads SHORT, you have found the terminals for the buttons. (If you don’t have alligator clips, you’re probably gonna need a third hand).

4. Connect the red wire from the head of the LM317T to the positive terminal of the garage door remote.
5. Connect one end of the black wire from the LM317T voltage converter to the negative terminal of the garage door remote
6A. Put a wire/jumper to the 2 terminals that are used by the button.
or
6B1. (If using a relay) Connect one terminal of the button with a wire to 30 on the relay, and the other terminal to 87 on the relay. If possible, don’t use red or black wire here just to avoid confusion.
6B2. Connect a red wire from 86 on the relay to the red wire connected on pin 1 of the LM317T voltage regulator
6B3.Connect a black wire from 85 on the relay to the black wire of LM317T voltage regulator or connect it directly to ground.
7. Test your mod. Before you test, make sure your garage door is free of any obstacles.
Connect the red wire from pin 1 of the LM317T voltage regulator to your battery +. Connect the black wire to your battery -. If your garage door opens or closes, then you’re ready to install this in the car.
8. (Optional) Tape the relay, the voltage regulator and your garage door remote just so it wouldn’t be messy. Of course you can purchase an enclosure from RadioShack if you want the clean look.

Installation:
1. Select a location on where you want to install the switch. I placed mine on a blank switch where the ATRAC and subwoofer switches are. Thanks to Addictronics for this creative mod. If you guys are interested, the thread can be found at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ch/85317-diy-turn-dash-blank-into-switch.html (Picture 7 and 8)

2. Connect one end of a red wire to one terminals of the momentary switch to a 12V ignition wire. This way, your garage door remote will only work if your key is in the ON or ACC position. Do not connect it to a constant 12V. This is VERY IMPORTANT especially if your car is parked outside the garage and somebody breaks in to your car, and accidentally pushes the button.

I connected mine to the radio harness since it’s the nearest one, and I’m lazy to run a new wire from the fuse box. The wire you want to tap in to is the GRAY wire from the stereo harness if you have a factory radio. It’s the RED wire if you have the aftermarket radio.

3. Connect a red wire from the free terminal of the momentary switch to the red wire that is connected on pin 1 of the LM317T.

4. Connect the black wire from the LM317T to chassis ground or to a ground wire. I used the stereo harness for this one as well. It’s the brown wire if you have a factory stereo and black wire if you have an aftermarket radio.

5. Test and enjoy.

My completed mod. (Picture 9)

I added a 12V LED on my installation as this serves as my indicator light. Besides, I think it looks neat. If you do decide to have an LED as well, make sure you get the 12V LED as there are different kinds. If you get something less than 12V, you would have to install another voltage converter to match your LED.

Of course there are other ways to do this mod, but if you do decide to wire it differently, just don’t put constant power on the LM317T voltage converter. The converter can overheat especially since you are reducing the voltage to 75% less.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts