Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Updated pics in post #34*

Thanks to ExPo members (Expedition Portal: Vehicle Dependent Overland Community), cowboy4x4 and Miss R2FJ for being the idea/model for this mod :rocker:

1st off, this was stupidly easy. Secondly, this was down right cheap.. less than $20. Did i mention it was easy?

*This is not the final version, the cable will change, and everything will be painted black.*

One and only problem: I got the cable so tight, that if i push/pull on it, the bumper actually flexes a little.. i can actually see the front body mounts compreesing (right behind the bumper wing). When i loosen it, it will still do it i apply force :confused:

Also, this would probably work best with a wider front hoop (ARB like). Look at this first picture and you'll understand why i said this..

All feedback/criticism welcome.. I'm someone will find something i overlooked :bigthumb:

The front large eye-bolts are rated for 650+lbs, and the top ones are 350+lbs. Right now, the cable is the weakest link (like.. 64 lbs i think). I saw it in a package at wal-mart today just to get it to start the mod.. That will be changed out for thicker cable tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Looks good Dom - I will be doing something similar soon as well - once I get my awning up there I'll install the risers - :cheers:

-

-

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
Dom...You MUST....I repeat...You MUST....and a spring in there !!!!!!!

You now owe me for saving your life....Bye now!!!

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll quote the BellyDoc in here for anyone thinking of this:

Honestly, I think you may have just saved yourself from some breakage.

The body flex is one thing... whether or not that would F with you because of your limb risers, I have no idea.

However, if your previous static cables had contacted a stiff enough resistance (like... a branch that's much less flexy than you would have wanted...), then the first bit of deflection of the wire would have put HUGE tension vectors on the end connectors.

As an example, when you see "high tension" wires suspended between poles, they look saggy. This doesn't mean they're hanging slack. They're actually under massive tension, but they're also heavy. To pull them tight-wire straight would require tension approaching infinity (actually, thanks to the thickness of the wire, you could *in theory* get them to go straight, but you'd probably exceed the tensile strength of the wire in the process).

For small, lightweight cables like yours, it's not hard to get them to go straight. However, if you "trig" out the tension vectors created by pushing down on the center of the wire, you'll see that going from a straight wire to a deflected wire creates essentially an infinite force multiplication that quickly falls off to one that's just very very high.

If your static wire took a good enough force, my guess is that the weak point would have been one of the connectors, perhaps the nicopress swage or the thin metal connector on the brush bar. One of these would have snapped. However if the cable system itself was strong enough NOT to be the weak link, then it would be a tug-o'-war between the bumper and the rack. My money would be on the bumper. Wink

Now, thanks to your nifty upgrade, you'll deflect the spring, the heavy branch will eventually bend, and you won't think twice. If it doesn't bend, you'll have ample warning to rethink your line.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
The spring will also allow you to open your hood more quickly in case of emergency if you incorporate a carabiner type clip.

I would move the turnbuckles to the top, less chance of a hangup or hood damage.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think "strong spring" while walkin' the isle at home depot....:bigthumb:
I've got 2 pair's of springs. But they are a little different than cowboy's. they are fatter, and shorter.. rated for a few hundred pounds. Home Depot only had those and mini ones.

The spring will also allow you to open your hood more quickly in case of emergency if you incorporate a carabiner type clip.

I would move the turnbuckles to the top, less chance of a hangup or hood damage.

Will do!:rocker:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The risers look great, looks pretty good on the FJ!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
When I had these on the Rangie and people would ask what they were for, I would (with a straight face) tell them they were to keep the brushguard from falling off and getting caught under the truck. :)

Amazingly, they seemed ok with that answer and usually nodded in agreement. It was after all a Land Rover.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts