41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Frame flexes to much.

When i would flex the front end, one side would get scary tight even with the spring, and the other side would just droop...

They did do their job though when the fj wasn't flexed.
So are you leaving them on or are you ditching them? I like the idea but could see how that could be kinda dangerous if the flex get's too extreme.

·
Registered
95 Posts
one side tight n one side loose, why not one cable that loops up across and back down? so the flex would just slide back and forth, and maybe a piece of parachute cord across the springs 1 1/2 the stretched length so if they let go the cable hopefully stops.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Frame flexes to much.

When i would flex the front end, one side would get scary tight even with the spring, and the other side would just droop...

They did do their job though when the fj wasn't flexed.
I doubt it is an issue though. With the spring in there. Other expo vehicles that are body on frame design run these. I wouldn't think they have much more flex than ours does.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I doubt it is an issue though. With the spring in there. Other expo vehicles that are body on frame design run these. I wouldn't think they have much more flex than ours does.
It's worth a shot. What if you put a spring on each side (4 total)? Would that help?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
It's worth a shot. What if you put a spring on each side (4 total)? Would that help?
hmm, not sure, i would think that one would be okay. I went to go buy the stuff this weekend at Lowes, but could not find cable coated in a black pvc (just clear) and could not find adell clamps.

Need to look a little more, maybe check out some local hardware shops.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
hmm, not sure, i would think that one would be okay. I went to go buy the stuff this weekend at Lowes, but could not find cable coated in a black pvc (just clear) and could not find adell clamps.

Need to look a little more, maybe check out some local hardware shops.
Sounds good... If you get it to work (or even if you don't) post up pics and let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in doing this is you can get it to work well.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ive been pondering the idea of using hoodpins instead of attaching one side to the brushguard. maybe come up with some attachment to the hood pins instead.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I have also been thinking (like jerseymike), that instead of attaching from the rack to the bumper/frame, it would be preferable to make the attachment from the rack to the body somehow (Body to Body).

This would eliminate the scary flex that Dom saw.

It would require a strong bracket attached either under the hood and coming forward and out near the outside edges of the hood, or attached to the outside of the body on the front sides near the front of the vehicle.

You would still most likely need to remove the cables to open the hood.

Still trying to figure this out.

-

·
Registered
610 Posts
Or you could put two pulleys on each corner of the roof rack and run cables from the ends of the brushguard, through the pulleys and then attach them in the middle with a big spring. I like the roof-rack to hood idea though, because you don't need a big ol' brushguard.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Has anyone figured out a good way to do this? I really like the look of these things.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bump, this is on my list of mods. Anyone figure out a good system?

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I realize this is old, but stumbled on it while researching limb risers for my FJ. I'm tired of mesquite branches slapping my hood and windshield and this idea looked like it would work.
I think 3/16 cable, with springs and carabiners (for quick disconnect) would work fine. The Camel Pro trucks don't run a spring and mount right to the brush guard. Don't know how that works, but they're race vehicles and no doubt are different that street trucks.
To address bumper flex on our trucks I found an ol' boy in England that makes mounts that go on the inner fender and poke up between the hood and fender. Bushcables worldwide supplier - Discovery Brackets
He makes them for the Land Rover Discovery but I think I could build something similar for an FJ.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts