Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will work for a 2008-9 FJ Cruiser that has a known good Working FOB or master key
And you wish to make a Transponder Key (that will open doors manually by door lock and start the engine!). Transponder key has RF CHIP to talk to ignition!

Again, This WILL NOT CREATE A Remote Keyless Entry FOB!

You need the following :

Blank Toyota Transponder Key (blank will have a dot or circular divot on blade Where blade meets plastic head NOT A G stamped on it! See pic below!

Toyota Part Number 89785-60160. (Chip#4D-67)

You can buy it online at Amazon or eBay for $10-$15, I went to Dealer and paid $35 ouch!
Next: go to Lowes, Ace Hardware, or your local big box store that cuts keys and take your Good Old key and the new blank and have it cut! Toyota cut mine as part of the cost, however Call first to make sure they can cut it ( 2 different calls before I found a Lowes that would do it! )

The programming of the Transponder is where you save $$$$ the sequence of instructions sounds strange but it worked when I tried it today.
Here are the programming instructions for creating a Transponder Key !

2008 FJ Cruiser Transponder Instructions Rehearse the steps or grab someone to read them to you, count out loud the number of times you open the door to get it correct! Otherwise you might have to start over!

I did the programming sequence of:
1. Get in drivers seat and close door.
2 Insert and remove working key in ignition five times, leaving it in, on the fifth insertion (DO NOT TURN THE KEY and do it quickly within 10 seconds)
3. Immediately open and close driver door six times.
4. Immediately remove working key from ignition (notice the security "key" light ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF RADIO ON DASH will stay lit... if not start over)
5. Immediately insert new non-programmed key into ignition (notice the security "key" light will blink about once every two seconds)
6. When the security "key" light goes out the key is programmed, remove the key. THIS CAN TAKE UP TO A COUPLE OF MINUTES!
7. Start the car with the old key (stops programming mode).
8. Start the car with the new Transponder key.

From other posts, I have read, you can make several backup keys! Now that I know the procedure I will order keys online! Maximum of 12 I believe.

Note : this transponder key will not work on 2007 or 2010-14 FJ Cruisers
Also : this will NOT MAKE A REMOTE FOB ENTRY KEY (with the Unlock/Lock buttons) that video instruction is online do a Google search if I find it again I will post those instructions once tested by me so no endorsements now!!:surprise
Please remember to hit my Like link if this works!! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
good to know thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
i will try this , I have an old key from a 2008 I own. I will try it on my 2014 after I cut a new blank metal key.

Toyota key cost remote key $170 average valet key average $40. Programming $95.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Success, I ordered a key off eBay based on the part number listed by the OP for $12.90, I had it cut at a local hardware store $2.00. A few minutes in the truck and it is done.

Dealership wanted $44 for the key and $108 to program
Locksmith wanted $84 for the key not sure about program.
The hardware store wanted $69.95 for a transponder key, cutting and programming.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cool ! Glad to hear the programming worked for you! Hoping the others take note that it was only for 2007-8 FJ 's
Please remember to hit my like " link " if it works for you!

Take care
Papaobewon

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is great info thanks for posting it. The post about programming the remote locks from NickP is useful too. Question about the limitations on how many keys with the remote buttons can be programmed... Our 2008 FJ came to us with one remote and one valet key. We read elsewhere only a total of three keys can be programmed to the car... So accounting for the missing key,we are at the total allowed unless we delete the original code and start over. Is this true? Has anyone tried to program beyond their original three keys?

Bill & Lisa in CO

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bill & Lisa!
To answer your question: yes I too read that 3 keys were the maximum allowed!
2nd question : yes, you can delete and start over, however, my programming If I recall correctly did not give the sequence for starting over! It is possible, because I accidentally did it on my Sequoia! If you attempt it make sure to "hide" the one good key in a metal container as far away from the vehicle in order to keep a backup key!
Hope this helps! If so, please hit the Like button ( word) !
Thanks
papa

·
Registered
11 Posts
Must not have a good understanding of how the procedure works... Doesn't erasing previous codes effect how any key would work? So even if a formerly working key were stashed away it would not work after a reset, right?

I am going to try to sweet talk the rep into discounting a new key. :x Most he can say is no, right?

Lisa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct! If it is erasing the computer! I was thinking erasing a key was the process! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
This will work for a 2008-9 FJ Cruiser that has a known good Working FOB or master key
And you wish to make a Transponder Key (that will open doors manually by door lock and start the engine!). Transponder key has RF CHIP to talk to ignition!

Again, This WILL NOT CREATE A Remote Keyless Entry FOB!

You need the following :

Blank Toyota Transponder Key (blank will have a dot or circular divot on blade Where blade meets plastic head NOT A G stamped on it! See pic below!

Toyota Part Number 89785-60160. (Chip#4D-67)

You can buy it online at Amazon or eBay for $10-$15, I went to Dealer and paid $35 ouch!
Next: go to Lowes, Ace Hardware, or your local big box store that cuts keys and take your Good Old key and the new blank and have it cut! Toyota cut mine as part of the cost, however Call first to make sure they can cut it ( 2 different calls before I found a Lowes that would do it! )

The programming of the Transponder is where you save $$$$ the sequence of instructions sounds strange but it worked when I tried it today.
Here are the programming instructions for creating a Transponder Key !

2008 FJ Cruiser Transponder Instructions Rehearse the steps or grab someone to read them to you, count out loud the number of times you open the door to get it correct! Otherwise you might have to start over!

I did the programming sequence of:
1. Get in drivers seat and close door.
2 Insert and remove working key in ignition five times, leaving it in, on the fifth insertion (DO NOT TURN THE KEY and do it quickly within 10 seconds)
3. Immediately open and close driver door six times.
4. Immediately remove working key from ignition (notice the security "key" light ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF RADIO ON DASH will stay lit... if not start over)
5. Immediately insert new non-programmed key into ignition (notice the security "key" light will blink about once every two seconds)
6. When the security "key" light goes out the key is programmed, remove the key. THIS CAN TAKE UP TO A COUPLE OF MINUTES!
7. Start the car with the old key (stops programming mode).
8. Start the car with the new Transponder key.

From other posts, I have read, you can make several backup keys! Now that I know the procedure I will order keys online! Maximum of 12 I believe.

Note : this transponder key will not work on 2007 or 2010-14 FJ Cruisers
Also : this will NOT MAKE A REMOTE FOB ENTRY KEY (with the Unlock/Lock buttons) that video instruction is online do a Google search if I find it again I will post those instructions once tested by me so no endorsements now!!:surprise
Please remember to hit my Like link if this works!! Thanks!
This procedure worked for me. Key from E-Bay and cut it myself and programmed following this procedure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rocker:Great to hear ! So satisfying to accomplish another automotive challenge that the dealership expected to make $$$$$:rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I have a 2008 and have 5 keys programmed, to with the remote lock feature and 3 valet keys. In 2014 I misplaced my valet key, so I followed this thread and programmed two additional valet keys. This past Sunday I found the misplaced key. Anyway all 5 work with the ignition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2008 and have 5 keys programmed, to with the remote lock feature and 3 valet keys. In 2014 I misplaced my valet key, so I followed this thread and programmed two additional valet keys. This past Sunday I found the misplaced key. Anyway all 5 work with the ignition.
Glad I could help! If you would Please hit my like link on the post!? Thank you in advance!
Papa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This procedure worked for me. Key from E-Bay and cut it myself and programmed following this procedure.
Glad it helped! Would you please hit my Like link on the post? Thank you in advance!
Papa

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a key and fob off of eBay for my 2008. I went to the dealer and they told me that they could not program my key because it was not a factory key. I saw this post and tried it myself. Everything goes as planned until I get to the point where the security light is flashing with the new key in the ignition. The light is blinking twice and then once every two seconds. I let it do that for several minutes and it never went out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
If you bought a key with the fob in the head of the key this won't. You need the plain key without the fob for this to work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

For the record, I successfully perform the whole procedure today on my FJ Cruiser 2010. It worked perfectly.

I bought a blank remote key from the bay TOYOTA FJ/LAND CRUISER keyless entry remote key fob transmitter alarm HYQ12BBT

I did the cut to a locksmith, I'm in France, he tried to see if he can program the transponder part but the french system replied with an error code saying something like crypted... ;)

Of course, i also followed Keyless Remote Programming Instructions Inside for the remote part.

It's nice to have those DIY procedures available !

The original post title should be changed to Diy programming a TRANSPONDER key for 2008-2010 FJ

Hereafter the keys : 1st picture is my original key with the L on the blade, the 2nd picture is my new key. Same codes of course.

20170506_193838.jpg
20170506_193959.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Papaobewon, thank you!!! Worked perfectly.

I wished I had rolled down the window before I started. It took longer than I thought to program the new key and started to overheat... But you warned us that it would take a few minutes... :smile

1 - 20 of 21 Posts