Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experience taking their FJ (with OEM roof rack) through an automated touch-less car wash... any damage?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do FJs get along with touchless car washes

Thanks for the insight! I need to get that salt off!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My backup camera was knocked out in a touchless car wash. The high psi water penetrated the housing.

I don't do touchless washes much any more, they don't really get it clean, and since my finish is full of brush pinstriping anyway, in not worried about scratching by the brushes (if any).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Do FJ’s get along with touchless car washes

I was wondering if anyone has experience taking their FJ (with OEM roof rack) through an automated touch-less car wash... any damage?
None fore me, and find one with the undercarriage feature, and remove your antenna.

·
Registered
915 Posts

I've had two FJs - no problems here. (Neither one was lifted, and one had the OEM roof rack)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
After replacing the stock antenna with a 5" stubby, I haven't had any issues. I have OEM roof rack at the moment. But I haven't gone through one since mounting a light bar.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I have an after market sunroof. For a while I had minor water seepage from high pressure washes, but last year I had the roof mechanism adjusted. No issues since. I've never had a problem with the antenna or OEM roof rack in an automated car wash. About every 3rd or 4th time I wash the undercarriage and engine bay with a hand held wand sprayer at an old style car wash. Living in Phoenix Metro, I'm able to avoid salted roads in the winter.

Yes, I have a few trail brush scratches, so I'm not worried about an automated car wash. I plan to keep my 2007 FJ for another 10-15 years. I'll be well into my mid 80's at that time. Currently at 167K miles, I'm fairly confident that my FJ will out live me. This is my fourth Land Cruiser: 1st was a 1978 FJ40 (owned 1978-1991), 2nd was a 1991 Series 80 (owned 1991-1999), 3rd was a 1999 Series 100 (owned 1999-2010), 4th is my precious 2007 FJ Cruiser (owned Oct 2006 to present). The 2007 FJ is hands down my favorite of the bunch. Continuous Land Cruiser owner for 41 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Kansas ...

I’m jealous of the fun you’ve no doubt had with the impressive list of Land Cruisers you’ve owned! I just got my first FJ ... I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just went through a touchless with my FJ for the first time. WARNING!!! If you’ve had a roof rack delete done, DON’T DO IT!!! I got my FJ last Thursday and thought I’d make it look that much better after a wash. Problem is, when Toyota did the rack delete, they didn’t seal the bolt holes... like, at all! They have the white plastic caps, but didn’t prevent the water jets from forcing water into my head liner and into the cabin. Luckily I was able dry it all up by peeling my head liner back and tucking some towels in there. Still don’t know why the original owner deleted the roof rack. So wrong for so many reasons...

Attachments

·
Admin
6,588 Posts

Just went through a touchless with my FJ for the first time. WARNING!!! If you’ve had a roof rack delete done, DON’T DO IT!!! I got my FJ last Thursday and thought I’d make it look that much better after a wash. Problem is, when Toyota did the rack delete, they didn’t seal the bolt holes... like, at all! They have the white plastic caps, but didn’t prevent the water jets from forcing water into my head liner and into the cabin. Luckily I was able dry it all up by peeling my head liner back and tucking some towels in there. Still don’t know why the original owner deleted the roof rack. So wrong for so many reasons...
Ouch.

Yeah, I hear you definitely don't want to skimp on the silicone when messing around with those bolts.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I’ve never had any issues, have the OEM roof rack and 33” tires - but I’m just about to do lift/bumper/winch so hopefully that continues to be the case...

I live in UT and the road salt destroys **** if it’s not washed off.. and the self wash can be a nightmare when the temps are in the singles and teens - I did that route the other day and had solid sheets of ice on my side mirrors and multiple other places driving out of the wash bay and even with gloves my hands froze.. not fun.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Anyone ever get their mirrors knocked out in car washes? That’s how I learned they were removable. I now carry spares I’ve had tree limbs smack them and mirrors fall out.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
I luckily have had an overall positive experience with touchless car washes. One time though with my first FJ the KC light on the roof rack was just barely too high and it caught my light and popped the cover off. Luckily I was able to get out and grab it and pop it back on. No real harm done!

I use a drive thru car was here in Utah that has the spaghetti noodle-like cleaners and the spinning ones on the side and the only bad thing with that is sometimes it flops my side mirrors around so I have to get out afterwards and turn them back the correct direction. Just don't go in one if you have a CB antenna on!

I've also gone in some with the horizontal spinning washer wheels that come down on your car but most places don't like that I have the roof rack and snorkel so they turn off the top rollers and therefore my hood doesn't get cleaned. So I don't go to those car washes anymore, plus I was afraid of my snorkel getting broken since it almost ripped the snorkel head off!

·
Registered
61 Posts

I have always favored the roller brush type for a superior clean and ran my stock FJ (which had a well sealed roof delete by PO) through them with no issues. But since dropping about U$ 20K on modifications (incl installing an OEM type roof rack with front air-dam & mickey mouse ear lights, 3" lift , 34" wheels & snorkel etc, etc, etc ----> see walk around video below:grin) I have had to go touchless (with 1" clearance) and have had zero problems.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts