Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FJ enthusiasts!

It's dream to own a FJ so in the market but limited funds. I discovered it's HARD to find a used FJ! I found a few 2007 for around $15,000 w/ mileage that varies from 100K to 170K.

I have am wondering if 170K is just too many miles. As much as I love cars, it's not the same love that someone who's obsessed with cars. A good friend said watch out for strutts? what's that? I know what shocks are and they said careful w/ shocks on old vehicles. Also, catalytic converter? What!

The used '07 FJ w/ 80K is from private and the '07 FJ w/ 170K is from a Toyota dealership. The Toyota dealership did a lot to it in order to spiff it up for a new owner. I don't know what the private seller has done. The Toyota dealership offers 30 day warrenty so there's little assurance there too.

TONS of questions. Please help.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
170 K isn`t a lot of miles as long as the maintenance was done regularly. We have many FJ`s here that are in the 200K to 400K on this forum. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I sold my 2007 with 187k miles, never any problems with regular maintenance, I do replace the battery every 2 years due to the heat in Phoenix. Met a guy recently with 330k miles and had only replaced the water pump.

As stated previously the lower the mileage the better.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!

Go with lowest mileage possible (you'll have it that much longer), but they will last a long time and into high mileage if well maintained :)

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Considering they can be found sometimes a LOT closer to 100K miles for ~$15K, I'd pass on 170K. That should be like $13K max.

Reactions: BOBTAILFJ

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Washington!
Keep looking is my opinion.
You can do better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked and looked and looked, they go fast, finally found an 07 with only 40k miles, $21,000 so i had to buy it. My opinion, spend a little more and get one with less miles that way you can take care of it and know its been taken care of. worth it in the long run and good luck with your search. They are few and far between sometimes (because they are such great vehicles)

·
Registered
71 Posts
170k on a well maintained Toyota should have plenty of life left... That being said I would prefer a low mileage one. I prefer to be the one to put the miles on it. I bought my 2008 FJ last summer with 46k miles on it. Previous owner barely drove it and never took it off-road. Just take your time and save up a little more money if you need to. It'll be worth it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
170k on a well maintained Toyota should have plenty of life left... That being said I would prefer a low mileage one. I prefer to be the one to put the miles on it. I bought my 2008 FJ last summer with 46k miles on it. Previous owner barely drove it and never took it off-road. Just take your time and save up a little more money if you need to. It'll be worth it.
My story is similar to Javi's, I drove several high mileage FJ's and they drove very well. However, since you have the luxury of waiting to buy your FJ, I would hold out for one with lower mileage. It is not that the FJ cannot handle high mileage, because they can if properly maintained, it is just worth the patient effort to ensure you have not settled and you jump on a purchase that fits your criteria.

My 2008 FJ like Javi's had low mileage (49K miles), and never had seen dirt, purchased last year for $20,999. Those are out there, and they are worth waiting for. I almost bought a 2008 with 173K miles for $15,500, but I wanted to hold out for a lower mileage example. It may mean waiting until you have a bit more capital to invest into a lower mileage unit.

Good luck, and please let us know the result!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts