Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently added 400 pounds to the front of my 2014 trail teams FJ. This includes a bumper, winch, lights, and skid plate. I have not touched or changed the suspension to the car at all. I believe the front of the car dropped an inch to an inch and a half due to the new weight added.

Is it urgent that I get new suspension? Am I damaging any components driving the car like it is?

In a couple months I will lift the car 3 inches and get new suspension that will handle the weight added. Is it urgent that I get new suspension to handle the weight immediately?

What are the differences/problems I am going to experience driving my car on and off road with the setup I have now (stock suspension plus weight added)?

If the setup I have now is a problem are there any cheaper fixes other than lifting the car 3 inches and getting all new suspension (this is what im going to do eventually)? Can I just throw some heavier springs in the front and wait till I get the new suspension?

Thanks for the help!

PS: If I could get all of these problems addressed in the responses that would be great.

:grin

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you do change the suspension in a month you should be fine. However it depends on what kit you go with. If you use one that is just spacers then you are really just changing the looks. With the added weight you really need a new front coil spring with a higher spring rate. What you do need to do in the mean time is get the rig aligned. You said the front dropped about 1 1/2" that will cause you to have negative camber and positive toe. You could put a lot of wear on your tires in just 30 days with a bad alignment, not to mention handling problems.

·
Registered
353 Posts
400 lbs???? Did you buy a cast iron bumper and winch?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The worst thing you can expect from the front additions is your new ride height has changed your wheel alignment some amount, depending on how many miles you will drive in the next month you could experience some uneven tire wear. You will need to decide if you will do an alignment now as you will need another after installing your new 3" lift. You may also be more prone to bottoming the front suspension if traveling in rough off road conditions until the new suspension is installed, beyond these issues your only doing more image damage calling your FJ a "car" considering it is more truck than anything else. Lol... all fun.
Good question, Enjoy and welcome to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I put a winch & ARB Bumper on mine it drove terribly. Scrubbed in turns & handling was poor at best. I installed an OME heavy & Bilstien 5100 & was amazed at the difference. Do you research & get what you want, just don't push the vehicle too hard until you upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts