Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do I let U-Haul install my hitch or get the OEM if it’s class III?

Hi all:

This is my 1st post. I’ve been using the search function for quite a while and found a lot of useful info, but I’m still trying to find a definitive answer regarding what hitch to get.

My 2007 FJ with a manual transmission does not have a hitch, and I’m going to need one next month when I move from CT to FL. I’m planning on renting a U-Haul 6 x 12 ft trailer (the largest enclosed one) which even though it requires a class II, I’d feel better if there was a class III on there.

I was planning on just having U-Haul put the hitch one. After checking ebay, it looks like the U-haul one is made by Curt and is class III:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170220652192

I had U-Haul install a hitch several years ago when I had my RAV4, but then I remembered how fast that hitch rusted. In addition to not looking good, the rust made it such that I had to sledgehammer the ball mount in and out.
I’m thinking the OEM version is more road-worthy, and less prone to rusting. Can any of you verify that the OEM does not rust? Plus, is the OEM hitch a class III? What’s weird to me is that it mounts differently than the aftermarkets.

After checking the web I was thinking of installing my own hitch to save time, especially this great site which shows an OEM:
GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

U-Haul will charge $356 for the hitch and wiring/installation, which seems a bit much. Even with buying a torque wrench, I think it’ll cost less to install one myself, regardless of which type. Thanks for your time! :)

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Re: Do I let U-Haul install my hitch or get the OEM if it’s class III?

I would stay stock.....it's bullet proof/mounts directly to the frame thru pre-threaded holes/and you could pick one up here on the site pretty easy....

The u-hual rig is junk....

$.02 and worth every penny

·
Registered
88 Posts

Wha wha wha wha what! Go with the OEM receiver. U-Haul is poop.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts

OEM - not a difficult install at all - I did it myself. When you did a search, you should have seen that many prefer the OEM hitch also because it doesn't hang down under the bumper as far as aftermarket hitches do. Having had U-Haul install a hitch on a previous vehicle, I can't recommend working with them. They screwed up the order and botched the install. Definitely go OEM and do it yourself.

BTW, howdy and welcome to the forum! :wave:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

As everyone else has said here, go OEM and do it yourself. The halfwits at U-Haul will EF-up your wiring at best and I've seen them strip out threaded holes trying to cobble their junk on a vehicle.

OEM bolts right on and the electrical harness plugs right in. Super easy.

Wrench on your own rig as much as you can using this forum for advice and suggestions on tools, techniques, etc. Makes you a stronger owner in that you know your vehicle better and can wrench in bad situations.

Good luck!

P.S. If you were anywhere close, I'd help you.

Cheers!

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts

Welcome to the family and x2, I would DIY!!!!!! These rigs are pretty easy to work on!

Even a girl can do it...............

Kim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for all the replies. I think all of you are right and OEM is the way to go. When I was looking to get an FJ back in June of '06, the main options I wanted were the side-curtain airbags with a manual transmission without the roof rack. The lack of a hitch was not a deal-breaker, but I figured I might need one someday, which is now! lol

So, I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned that the OEM is indeed a Class III hitch. Can someone verify this?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

go with the factory, its a no brainer

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

So, I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned that the OEM is indeed a Class III hitch. Can someone verify this?
The FJ is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. That is a Class III rating, not Class II, which maxes out at 3,500 lbs

Stay the hell away from the crooks at U-Haul. If your wiring wasn't fubar'd before you drove in, it sure will be after *they* get done with it

Even if it cost me twice as much, I'd sooner go to a local Toyota dealership and get the parts myself. They have the receiver, which bolts directly to pre-drilled and threaded holes in the rear crossmember. They also have the harness kit, which has the relay, fuse, and wire harness that directly plugs into the plug at the rear of the vehicle

My Toyota dealer put my hitch on for $299. Never used it, but so far rust free. Of course, I also rust proof my vehicle once a year

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts

I would, in no way, let U-Haul install anything on my or any friends automobile/truck.

I would go with the OEM Hitch mount and do it yourself. Then when you get your trailer from U-Haul hooked up by their employee "!!!MAKE SURE!!"" they did it correctly.
I have had two occasions when I have had trailers that they installed come off and be only secured by the safety chains. One time it almost flipped my Jeep.

Moral of the story--------Go OEM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

My Toyota dealer put my hitch on for $299. Never used it, but so far rust free. Of course, I also rust proof my vehicle once a year
Cool, knowing it's Class III makes me feel better. Wow, your hitch was $299 installed at the dealer! That sounds pretty good. I think the selling price alone is close to that much.

I'm not gonna rely on the dealership for anything. Actually, the dealer I bought mine from almost had me killed last year, when I had them rotate my tires. It seems they only finger-tightened the lugnuts before handing me the keys. Luckily, I realized something was wrong on the 2-mile stretch between the dealer and the interstate. Had I hit the hiway that way, I would've been toast.

So, I'm probably gonna get the OEM and wiring off ebay and get myself a torque wrench! Thanks for the great responses! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

Definitely go with the OEM hitch. I just did the install and don't consider myself a guru by any means. It is a simple install, be prepared, the wiring harness doesn't come with instructions. Just towed a 5'x8' enclosed Uhaul trailer 650 miles without any problems.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Definitely go with the OEM hitch. I just did the install and don't consider myself a guru by any means. It is a simple install, be prepared, the wiring harness doesn't come with instructions. Just towed a 5'x8' enclosed Uhaul trailer 650 miles without any problems.
X2 It is easy to put the hitch itself all you have to do is remove the rear bumper and bolt the hitch. Wiring harness on the other hand needs to be run alone the side of the door sill if you don't feel comfortable doing the electrical connection I suggest let the dealer install the whole thing that way some thing goes wrong warranty won't be an issue. Good luck with your trip.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Whatever you choose, make sure it's powder-coated & not painted. Powder coating will stand up to rust much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Whatever you choose, make sure it's powder-coated & not painted. Powder coating will stand up to rust much better.

Yes, good point. I'm sure the Uhaul one I got on my old RAV4 was paint as it rusted over the New England winters.

Hopefully the OEM is powder-coated. Again, verfication of this would be awesome! Anyone?

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts

If you go to this link, you will see the Tow Hitch Install Instructions and the Tow Hitch Wiring Install Instructions.

Toyota FJ Cruiser: Resources & Documentation Archive

You can get both the hitch and the wiring from many online vendors at a good price. Here's one example of the both kits that you will need (if you install yourself).

Tow Hitch :

Sparks Toyota

Wiring :

Sparks Toyota

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts