Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a 33ah deep cycle battery to fit in next to power steering resiviour. I have it all wired in with a solenoid, to isolate it. Do I need a relay for the switch I plan on putting in. I have a temporary switch on the solenoid to see how it works. Thanks. There is a foam pad taped in with metal tape, to keep it from rubbing up against PS bracket
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2094.jpg

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Not 100% sure what you have done there, but it looks like you have wired a high-current solenoid in series with your 33AH battery, and want to use some kind of remote switch (or remote switch controlling a relay) to ultimately control the solenoid.

What is your objective? Use the 33AH battery as an emergency starting battery only, or as an auxiliary battery to run loads (fridge, lights, etc.) when the engine is not running?

Depending on your intended use, that solenoid might or might not be suitable. Is that actually a starter solenoid, designed for only intermittent use of a few seconds at a time, or a solenoid designed to be continuously energized?

Second, what is the operating current that the solenoid itself draws? If more than a fraction of an amp, just keeping the solenoid energized to allow use of the battery will consume a substantial portion of the energy stored in the battery.

For use as a auxiliary power source when the engine is not running, your approach is not practical because of the continuous current required to keep the solenoid powered.

The correct approach is to use a 'magnetically-latched' bi-stable relay that only requires a short pulse of current to turn it on or turn it off; there is no continuous current draw.

See: ML-Remote Battery Switches - Blue Sea Systems

These are not cheap.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The purpose of the second battery is for an 12/120 volt cooler. The cooler, it draws 45w, will run off rear inverter when truck is running and off of aux battery when camping. The solenoid is rated for continuous duty. The two batteries will only be tied in series, with a switch, to activate the solenoid, when the second battery needs charging, when the truck is running. In an emergency, it could probably be use to start the truck if main battery was dead, but that is not it's intended purpose. Thank your for your feed back and your knowledge of FJCs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts