Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok guys - fabricating a custom mounting bracket isn't in the cards for me, I don't have any metal fab tools past an angle grinder.

Surely there's thousands of folks out there with trans coolers mounted without custom brackets that get the job done and stay put while offroading.

Maybe I'll have to bight the bullet and pay a metal shop to make something for me but I would prefer this didn't turn into a big expense just to get a $50 part installed. I know it has to be done right but hoping there's some middle ground that someone can chime in on.

Again, thanks for all the responses/advice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
@FJtest That’s a slick setup with the filler port. Never thought of that solution, but makes a lot of sense. I’m about due for a transmission flush and will add this to my rig. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Ok guys - fabricating a custom mounting bracket isn't in the cards for me, I don't have any metal fab tools past an angle grinder.

Surely there's thousands of folks out there with trans coolers mounted without custom brackets that get the job done and stay put while offroading.

Maybe I'll have to bight the bullet and pay a metal shop to make something for me but I would prefer this didn't turn into a big expense just to get a $50 part installed. I know it has to be done right but hoping there's some middle ground that someone can chime in on.

Again, thanks for all the responses/advice.
I'd say that the $50 cost of the cooler doesn't have any significance at all compared to a aux cooler system failure that results in loss of transmission fluid and burning up a $4,500 transmission.

If it's not possible to complete a transmission cooler install that's as reliable (or actually MORE reliable, to maintain overall system reliability) than the OEM Toyota setup, then it might be better to just not install an aux cooler.

Adding an aux cooler introduces multiple additional potential failure points (additional hoses, additional clamped hose connections, the potential for one of the many feet of brazed joints in the cooler failing, etc.) that can degrade overall system reliability.

That's why every part of the cooler install should be MORE reliable than the original setup, because you are adding additional failure points.

Like I said, the Wholesale Automatic Transmissions (Australia) mounting bracket is the best off-the-shelf unit I've found, IF it clears your front bumper mounts.

Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler Kits | Wholesale Automatic Transmissions

The WA aux cooler kit is available in the US from Cruiser Brothers in Stockton, Ca. but they are currently out of stock, and don't see anything coming in for ~8 weeks.

The WA kit isn't cheap at over $500 US, but it includes everything: mounting bracket, cooler, hose, hose clamps, etc.

I do have a complete WA kit available, I bought it to measure the dimensions of the bracket, but the kit is complete and new-in-the-box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'd say that the $50 cost of the cooler doesn't have any significance at all compared to a aux cooler system failure that results in loss of transmission fluid and burning up a $4,500 transmission.

If it's not possible to complete a transmission cooler install that's as reliable (or actually MORE reliable, to maintain overall system reliability) than the OEM Toyota setup, then it might be better to just not install an aux cooler.

Adding an aux cooler introduces multiple additional potential failure points (additional hoses, additional clamped hose connections, the potential for one of the many feet of brazed joints in the cooler failing, etc.) that can degrade overall system reliability.

That's why every part of the cooler install should be MORE reliable than the original setup, because you are adding additional failure points.

Like I said, the Wholesale Automatic Transmissions (Australia) mounting bracket is the best off-the-shelf unit I've found, IF it clears your front bumper mounts.

Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler Kits | Wholesale Automatic Transmissions

The WA aux cooler kit is available in the US from Cruiser Brothers in Stockton, Ca. but they are currently out of stock, and don't see anything coming in for ~8 weeks.

The WA kit isn't cheap at over $500 US, but it includes everything: mounting bracket, cooler, hose, hose clamps, etc.

I do have a complete WA kit available, I bought it to measure the dimensions of the bracket, but the kit is complete and new-in-the-box.
Great advice, thanks again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kaon 4x4 makes a bracket that fits the Tru Cool and I believe it also fits the Hayden. You can find Kaon 4x4 on ebay. If you live in the Bay Area Nestor from Nestah Edition had some the last time I visited him.

IMG_3247.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
@FJtest - Would love to see your 'how to'. A couple of questions- what was your reason for not going with a thermal bypass cooler, and do you have the rough dimensions of your mounting plate handy? Oh, 1 more- do you have any pics of the cooler/bracket installed? Thanks for your time. Al

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Kaon 4x4 makes a bracket that fits the Tru Cool and I believe it also fits the Hayden. You can find Kaon 4x4 on ebay. If you live in the Bay Area Nestor from Nestah Edition had some the last time I visited him. View attachment 1159418
I also bought a Kaon bracket kit, and decided not to use it for several reasons.

First, I couldn't find a cooler that would fit, and I purchased several different Hayden and Tru-Cool coolers that were 'supposed' to be compatible. After installing the brackets on the coolers, the top bracket mounting holes were EXACTLY 14mm too high to align with the holes in the radiator support on my 2014.

Additionally, the Kaon 2-piece design doesn't isolate the cooler from any mechanical mounting stresses.

The Kaon bracket was designed for RH drive FJs, and isn't just a drop-in fit in US FJs because of the mounting hole misalignment, several interferences that force you to modify other components (like the guide and protector for the hood latch cable, etc.), and the routing for the hose had major interferences.
Too tall - close-up of 14mm offset.jpg

Too tall - close-up of 14mm offset with digital caliper.jpg

I've got a bunch more photos depicting the problems with the Kaon brackets, but they are on another laptop . I'll add them later tonight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is strange, I did not run into the mounting bracket issue you had. You are correct in that it is not a direct drop in as I did have to relocate the temperature sensor as well as my horn. I might have made some adjustments already from my bumper which is why I didn't run into any mounting issues.

FJTEST is right in that the two piece design pretty much relies on the rigidity of the cooler for durability. At the same time I've been running mine for the last 10K miles through offroad trails with no problems or leaks. The cooler is pretty secure so far but I do check for leaks every so often. I have a 2013.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
thanks for all the info. i've seen the zip tie thing before and thought it was insane. i was planning on making a bracket (i work in a machine shop). i'm stealing your design as long as you don't have it patented! :D
My licensing fees are pretty steep ...

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
i was waiting for him to drill into the radiator.
I think somebody else on this forum did that some time ago.

If I remember correctly he was drilling a hole in the vertical brace to install a $10 horn, the drill bit caught as it went through the brace, and pulled itself into the radiator.

$450 later his AC worked again.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Despite trying to make everything as rugged and failure-resistant as possible, I do carry a 3/8" barbed hose coupling in the vehicle in case the cooler ever splits or develops any kind of leak I can simply disconnect the hoses from the cooler and link them together as a bypass.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I ordered the Wholesale Automatic Transmissions kit from Cruiser Brothers and it was drop-shipped by DHL in two weeks.

I have a Demello front bumper.

I am now looking for a local transmission shop to install.

Will the installer need additional fluid? I just replaced the ATF 20,000 mile ago so I won't do a full refresh.

Any other consideration besides this?
the cooler should be installed downstream of the integral cooler in the radiator. Transmission > radiator > auxiliary cooler.
Should I be concerned about cold start up temperatures? I'm garaged in northern NM but perhaps 1 or 2 times a year I find myself starting up in in sub zero temperatures(F).

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I ordered the Wholesale Automatic Transmissions kit from Cruiser Brothers and it was drop-shipped by DHL in two weeks.

I have a Demello front bumper.

I am now looking for a local transmission shop to install.

Will the installer need additional fluid? I just replaced the ATF 20,000 mile ago so I won't do a full refresh.

Any other consideration besides this?

Should I be concerned about cold start up temperatures? I'm garaged in northern NM but perhaps 1 or 2 times a year I find myself starting up in in sub zero temperatures(F).
Installation of the Wholesale Automatic cooler is very straightforward and simple, should take you an hour at most, probably closer to 45 minutes. If you can change your oil you can install the cooler.

I would have zero concern about the starting in sub-zero issue, remember that the transmission fluid is routed through the radiator first, so that is actually warming the fluid initially. You will need to add ~ 1/2 quart of ATF to fill the cooler itself plus the fluid volume in the new lines.

For cold starts at low temp, for the benefit of both your engine and transmission, let the engine warm up at a slightly elevated idle speed for at least one minute before driving off, and then drive very conservatively (engine RPM and throttle opening) until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts