Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fj has stock Bilstein Silver shocks. I'm about to order. a toytec ultimate lift.
but i was thinking i could save around 300 bucks. if i just bought all the parts, and keep the stock shocks. is this possible?

so i would buy-

toytec adjustable coilover kit.

toytec rear coils ----------- all for 1300

LR uca's

and diff drop.

or buy the toytec lift with new shocks for ------1600

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
If the coils are longer, and you don't buy a corresponding travel rear shock, it negates the benefit of a longer coil.

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
銀チタン;2136608 said:
If the coils are longer, and you don't buy a corresponding travel rear shock, it negates the benefit of a longer coil.
Longer coil does not neccessarily mean more travel (it most cases it doesn't). Most of the rear coils are a higher rate which is what gives you the lift, not massively longer (for issues that many folks are now seeing). I'd talk with Toytec to see what the free height and compressed height are of their coil and how that matches up with the bilstein shock.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
You don't need the rear shocks immediately. The stock ones will work fine on there for a while, but you will probably want the longer shocks at some point if you plan on being off road. This will give you extra travel typically on the rear end which is only useful off road. I ran my stock shocks for months with my lift, but I finally put some Icon rear shocks on there and there was a measurable difference both off road and on road. Also, Newb is correct in that the shocks do need to match up with the springs to give benefit. Typically longer shocks and springs are designed to compliment each other's travel.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Longer shocks will be beneficial because they will give you more travel. However, they are not required with the super flex rear coils. Feel free to give us a call if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
^^. Subscribed. This should be interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts