Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi team, looking at getting my FJ build underway, starting with roof rack (mounts and rails, not full platform at this stage), RTT and drawers/fridge, maybe second battery and solar too.

Am I going to need to upgrade the stock suspension to cope with the additional weight? 2012 model, 72 litre tank. Has ARB style steel bull bar fitted, no winch. Not doing any rock crawling, mostly some sandy and muddy tracks.

Cheers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would if I were in your position, but I also play pretty fast and loose with my wallet. ?‍♂

You're already heavy on the front so the fridge and drawers will help add weight to the rear. Throw a tent on it and I don't see how new suspension could hurt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’d agree with new suspension for the reason is that you are now putting more stress on the OEM components. I have a 2012 TT and literally blew out and broke the stock shocks just by driving a little more aggressively (no RTT, bumpers,etc. ) Aftermarket suspension (pick your color / flavor really) will not only give you more control of the heavier load but also give you a comfortable ride that can be adjusted.
I debated forever before pulling the trigger on Fox 2.5’s w/ DSC and glad I did. Icon, King, Radflo and OME BP-51 were all even contenders for me but I wanted the compression adjuster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts