Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I ever plan on needing a winch for is getting unstuck in Louisiana mud. I plan on keeping the winch in a cradle in the cargo area then pluging it into the front or back receiver as needed. Do yall think I really need an 8K winch? Do they make lighter (but still reliable) models?

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
The general rule is double the weight of the SUV for a winch. I highly recommend the 9.5i warn especially id=f your in the mud. I have a 12,000 on my jeep which is lighter than the FJ. Well when it was stock:)

If you going the hitch mount for the rear your going to need to run 2gauge minimum I ran 1 gauge in my jeep to the rear put in a distribution block with quick connect/disconnect for my amp/compressor/ and winch if need be.

I have a ramsey 3500 on my 700 grizzly and its had issues when pulling out other ATV's stuck in mud.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
As stated, 8k is pretty much the smallest you can go, a lot of people run with 8.5k. Obviously you can get bigger and bigger. Really it just depends on what you have to spend, and what you want. Keep in mind about the weight rating of the winch that the winch isn't going to be pulling your FJ on nice level cement, no, it's going to be pulling your winch through knee deep mud. Your FJ will essentially be a "mud" anchor. Obviously you could be stuck on a multitude of things, but since you specified mud, thats what I'm sticking with.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
An 8,000 lb. winch is what is recommended at the low end for the weight of the FJ.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
AMEN to that. I would think that twice your vehicle's GVWR would be a good starting point because not only would your winch be pulling your vehicle's weight, but it would also have to provide enough pulling force to overcome whatever stiction is involved.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
stiction did you just make that up?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Apparently the term already existed...
Urban Dictionary - Stiction
Actually STICTION is a term I learned in my motorcycle days about how freely the front suspension forks would move from a static point. Some thought it was a term coined from the phrase 'Static Friction' and applying to the threshold of resistance reached before the opposing surfaces move relative to one another.

According to Wikipedia now - "Two solid objects pressing against each other (but not sliding) will require some threshold of force parallel to the surface of contact in order to overcome static cohesion. Stiction is a threshold, not a continuous force." Stiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: In the OP's case stiction was the first thing that came to mind when he mentioned Louisiana mud. That stuff has a life of its own...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Actually STICTION is a term I learned in my motorcycle days about how freely the front suspension forks would move from a static point. Some thought it was a term coined from the phrase 'Static Friction' and applying to the threshold of resistance reached before the opposing surfaces move relative to one another.

According to Wikipedia now - "Two solid objects pressing against each other (but not sliding) will require some threshold of force parallel to the surface of contact in order to overcome static cohesion. Stiction is a threshold, not a continuous force." Stiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's the definition I was looking for :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
8000lb winch with a snatch block yields 16,000lb of pull force. You will be fine.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
A snatch block(sheave) will not double, it will allow you to redirect your pull from a straight line.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Misterquad is right it will double, two to one. Don't forget you will only get rated capacity at the first wind on the drum. You will probably be fine with a good quality 8k like a Warn or Superwinch.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
It does double if you hook the cable back to yourself. It is physics. The force doubles and the retrieval speed is half. If you use 2 snatch blocks the force is 3x and the speed is 1/3.

HowStuffWorks "How a Block and Tackle Works"
True.

I guess I should have been more clear. Many users that use a snatch block to offset a straight pull asume that their pull is doubled.

The key is like you said "hooking the cable back to yourself".

It's been a long day and I need more than coffee, didn't mean to confuse.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
If you take the curb weight of the FJ Stock no goodies 4300# plus
I weighed mine with all my goodies and it's better than 5500#
Go through the list of mods you have including extra weight in tires, roof racks, fuzzy dice, 6 pack of beer, full gas tank, your weight, passengers, guns, clothes, tools, cheetos, slim jims, and whatever else you choose to bring and and then double the weight.
I would say, unless you are stock, you need at least an 8000#. Thats really low if you go by recommended. . Using a block is not going to happen, most of the time. It requires the correct winch points. I really would rather have a 12000# but currently I have a 9500#

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
8000lb will work. I run a 9.5TI Warn. these trucks get heavy fast if you have a bumper and skids, rock rails, recovery gear and a couple of people in it the truck can be over 5000lbs

must have been typing the same time as you were WIKID (EDIT)

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
People always reference the weight of the vehicle with regards to winch strength. We are not lifting the vehicle off the ground we are dragging them.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
that would make one hella sweet pic :rocker:
In the 1970's Ramsey Winch did a commercial and they connected the cable hook up a tree and then winched a K-5 Blazer in the air and hung it from a tree. I never saw how they got it down. though.

I mudded my previous Dodge pickup once. I will never mud a vehicle again. I laid under that truck for hours with a hose and nozzle and never got all the mud off it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts