Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Memorial Day weekend always reminds me that a few years ago over Memorial Day weekend I was hit HARD on the highway by a drunk driver. I am very lucky to be alive.

A few weeks ago I saw a story here in Florida about an FJ owner driving the wrong way on the highway, resulting in several injuries and one death.

"Troopers said alcohol is believed to be a factor in the crash. They said Hammer's SUV lights may not have been on. The accident remains under investigation, and the FHP report said charges are pending against Hammer."

If you look at the pictures in the links below, it's a wonder anyone survived. It looks like the FJ went up and over a Scion, cutting the top off of it before rolling over.

Passenger killed after head-on collision with vehicle going wrong way on Florida 9A | jacksonville.com

Woman Killed In 9A Wrong-Way Crash - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

If you are driving this weekend, be careful, and DO NOT drink and FJ! :notsigned:

-FJ Florida

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I donate to a free ride home every new years for my girlfriends bar and let me tell you I have seen some really drunk people get into those cabs.

Great post

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G

·
Thanks for posting.

I don't drink and there is a standing offer to anyone that knows me for a ride anytime. I may not be out but I would rather get up and drive someone home than lose another friend to a drunk driver.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
make sure when you drink drive one of this .....
I would have to be drunk BEFORE even considering driving that/ :rofl:

Thanks for posting.

I don't drink and there is a standing offer to anyone that knows me for a ride anytime. I may not be out but I would rather get up and drive someone home than lose another friend to a drunk driver.
That is commendable. I was kind of a designated "backroading" driver during my high school and college days as I rarely touched alcohol (or as I call light beer, nasty piss-water) . . . well except maybe Wild Turkey. This was partly because I drove this in high school and could seat about eleven people inside. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just a short note, since the topic is going on. A brother Houston Police Officer was killed in the line of duty early this morning by a drunk driver. He was working an accident when this POS drove through the accident scene and struck the officer. To add insult to this the drunk driver was driving a VW.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Terrible news.

Every time I hear about a drunk driver it reminds me of Jimmy S. A young kid(17) who was working for me. Walking home, crossing the street in a lit pedestrian crossing, struck by a drunk and killed.

G

·

Come on...with the right paint scheme....ok well maybe not.

It never ceases to amaze me how the drunks always survive and the innocent people are the ones that are killed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It never ceases to amaze me how the drunks always survive and the innocent people are the ones that are killed.
I have never understood that either. Not sure how the driver of the FJ survived at all. After going over the Scion, the FJ rolled several times and caught on fire. If you watch the video I linked to, the FJ is just falling apart on the wrecker. Totally destroyed and burned.

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Good thread. I can tell you that drinking and driving is not a good thing whether or not anyone is killed or injured. Just ask all of the people I have taken to jail for DWI.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bump for a reminder.

I see the victims everyday. I work in the ER of a major Trauma center. Just last week, I had a patient who was obviously intoxicated. His 8 year old child was sent to the children's hospital. He kept asking about her and I couldn't help but wonder why he waited till then to think about her well being.

Buckle up too forum junkies!

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Drunken driving is an ostentatious expression of blatant disregard for the lives of fellow motorists - penalties should be far stiffer.

There have been three threads so far (?) on this forum which mention the FJC bursting into flames - not sure if it was because the crashes were particularly catastrophic, or that the vehicle has a tendency to do so.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It was a terrible accident and I feel terrible for every one involved, but my question is, why did the FJ catch on fire? I thought there were safety devices in place to stop fuel flow. Do you think the fuel tank was compromised? I would have expected a much worse fire if the tank ruptured. What do you think?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I watched Red Asphalt 3 when I took my permit classes here in CA(Its mandatory), and they stated that most drunks survive crashes because their bodies are very relaxed and do not react well. It is the human bodies normal reaction to tense up and freeze when getting hit. Think flinching, but x10. Drunks dont do this, so their bodies are limp, allowing them to absorb the shock of the crash better than their sober victims.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I watched Red Asphalt 3 when I took my permit classes here in CA(Its mandatory), and they stated that most drunks survive crashes because their bodies are very relaxed and do not react well. It is the human bodies normal reaction to tense up and freeze when getting hit. Think flinching, but x10. Drunks dont do this, so their bodies are limp, allowing them to absorb the shock of the crash better than their sober victims.
Natural selection defeated. :mad:

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drunken driving is an ostentatious expression of blatant disregard for the lives of fellow motorists - penalties should be far stiffer.

There have been three threads so far (?) on this forum which mention the FJC bursting into flames - not sure if it was because the crashes were particularly catastrophic, or that the vehicle has a tendency to do so.
With an FJ going over the top of another car directly head on, with both travelling at 70 mph (140 mph), followed by the FJ rolling several times, I would expect it to lose some fuel and burn.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

That is commendable. I was kind of a designated "backroading" driver during my high school and college days as I rarely touched alcohol (or as I call light beer, nasty piss-water) . . . well except maybe Wild Turkey. This was partly because I drove this in high school and could seat about eleven people inside. :cheers:
been drunk enough that all the cars looked that way and I thot I had a cape....thankfully I grew up and got responsible enough to not put the innocent at risk and never harmed anyone in my youth...
ALWAYS good to have reminders....

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

I agree...I think with all the education and warnings that getting behind the wheel drunk should be the pre-meditation required for murder as apposed to manslaughter....and there is no excuse for 2...3...4 time DUI's

1 - 20 of 23 Posts