Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after spending about 3 hours prepping my new AP sliders for paint I first used Rustoleum Galvanized primer to prime them. WRONG. After obtaining the perfect finish, black textured Duplicote Bedliner, i went to move them out of the shop and into the sun for some baking. As I put them down I noticed a blister where I grabbed them. The blister had a tear in it. Upon further inspection and removal of the blister I noticed the paint product was just peeling right off the friggin sliders like a banana peel. So if nothing else they are rustproofed until I get them to my buddies body shop and have him shoot them for me. I should have known better than to use something I was unfamiliar with but all bad moves result in a lesson learned.:mecry:

·
Registered
433 Posts
paint will not stick to galv. very long , That is there whole reasoning behind galvanizing so you dont have to worry about paint. You are probably going to have to strip the galv. primer completley off and then go from there...Thomas

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used that duplicote bedliner stuff on my TG sliders and it did the same thing to me. I had to let them dry for a LONG time and still if I pressed pretty hard you would see it start to wrinkle. I used zero rust as a primer. I now think that duplicote stuff is junk and would never advise anyone to use it. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Duplicolor site recommends an 80 grit sanding before using it on a bed. This would wipe out most of your primer job. I'm not sure about duplicolor vinyl paints over zinc, but alkyds will peel off over time. A better primer would be 2 component epoxy or urethane. You can usually get a good texture by backing off and dry spraying.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Well at least it's good to know not to use the galvanizing primer for paint to stick on!:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts