Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if our ignition keys have the anti-theft chip in them that will not allow the vehicle to be started?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Can anyone tell me if our ignition keys have the anti-theft chip in them that will not allow the vehicle to be started?
The answer is yes on the 08 at least. I cannot answer for the 07 or later years, but I'd be surprised if they did not. I know this because I went to an aftermarket switchblade type key fob and it would not start the truck with just the cut key. I had it install the innards of the factory key into it to make the ignition work.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I just read on another thread that 07 was the only year not to have the ignition chip.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had a feeling the key fob had the chip in it. If you have an 2007 the switch between the fuel pump or started would be a good way to keep the thieves from taking off with the entire rig.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I have both a 2007 and 2010
all statement above are true. 2007 does not have it
2010 a big "YES".
on My 2007 I ran a cut off to the fuel pump,
with a relay, works like a charm.

·
Registered
917 Posts
All I know Is replacement keys are expensive. I had an non electronic key made in an effort to hide outside the FJ. I was told it would only open the doors. Just in case I ever get locked out. Now where did I hide that key from myself??

·
Registered
452 Posts
I can't seem to figure out this one. Just read all info in the owners manual regarding keys and anti-theft/engine immobilizer systems (not much detail in the manual). The key does have a chip, without which the engine won't start. But the confusing part is that we also are given a valet key which will start the car. WTF, I'm confused. Perhaps the valet key also has a chip inside, so what's the big deal when valet parking not to just give them your keyless entry key instead? Perhaps the valet key will only start the car, but not open the doors if locked? Fine....so what good is that to the valet person...he's got a key that will start your car but doesn't dare lock the doors or he won't be able to retrieve your car for you when the time comes. Or he just leaves it parked somewhere without locking the doors....that's a comforting thought.

But wait: I just compared the two keys and the valet key has an ever-so-slightly different cut to it. Must disable the immobilizer system because of the cut. So that's comforting as well...what good is a security system if a key can be specially cut to bypass it?

Who cares anyway. In small town USA where I live, you say "valet" and they say "say what?".

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
On '08 and newer FJC's, all of your keys (including the valet key) have the engine immobilizer chip in it. The purpose of the valet key is to be able to give it to an attendant without having to take your key off the keychain or give them your whole keychain with your primary keyfob.

All of the chipped keys will open the doors and start the vehicle. If you try to start it with a cut key without the chip, the engine will crank but it will never start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts