Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious I know nothing about cb radios, but would like to start to listen or something then maybe move on to ham radio.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes truckers still use them, some of the conversations are pretty entertaining too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
suggestions? I want something with good range of course....other than that I dont know what else I would need. Just good range.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well, in my 4Runner, I use a Cobra 19 and a regular 40 dollar fiberglass antenna but they're tuned properly and I get a good 5 mile site range. On my big rig, I got a Cobra 29 black chrome with a dual antenna setup which consists of two K40 whip antennas properly tuned and peaked and tuned cb radio.

You must properly match your CB radio and antenna in order to achieve a good signal, not mention you don't want to fry your CB radio. The coax must be in measured in multiples of 3ft. Meaning, you can't have a 10 ft coax, it must be, for example: 9, 12, 15, 18 etc.

Theres also different types of coax for the number of antennas. I recommend you visit a CB shop. I see your in Chandler. Go to the Flying J truck stop I believe at exit 136? off I-10. There's a CB shop across the street. I recommend you buy a CB from a truck stop and not a retail store like RadioShack. Truck stops sell the same CB's alot cheaper.

Heres my setup in my big rig.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
They are nice for getting into fights with truckers hopped up on speed who try to kill you by running you off the road for going the speed limit too. Crazy *****.
Guess what? Jesus was JEWISH. :lol: Love the sig. :)

Sean

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Nice looking Prostar rig

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes, truckers get into verbal fights are usually illiterate people that are mad at the world with no morals in life. They're also the same guys that brag about having 9,000hp and 1.5 million lbs ft of torque and brag about going 500mph hauling super heavy loads. :)

Nice looking Prostar rig
Thank you. I try to keep it shiny.

·
Registered
293 Posts
But just try to get one of them to talk to you!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ch 19, call out break and get a radio check. If somebody gives you a check, then request what you want to know, typically traffic and weather. Make sure you request the info you want by calling out the truckers going the opposite direction. If your in California, Oregon or Washington we use channel 17 going north or southbound I-5 or CA SR-99.

I pickup a good 12-20 miles with my CB across flat terrain. A lot of the truckers out there have similar range give or take so somebody will pick you up.

For example:

Your going west bound, typical familiar call would be "break one nine, can I get a radio check?" After you get a check request east bound what they left behind. They'll report construction, weather, traffic, police speed traps etc. at what mile markers and stuff. Cali sucks because cali feels that the need of mile markers are unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I use (mostly listen to) the CB all the time. In VA, radar/laser detectors are illegal. If there are trucks around, you know the exact locations of the police.:cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
i had a really cheap CB in my car back in 1999. I miss it. You always knew what was going on on the road. I need one for my fj. For some reason they are more expensive now. I hope to find a souped up used one for cheap.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I find if your driving late night you can easily get a radio check and can usually get some traffic or weather reports. I'm picking up these truckers from far away with there souped up units, it gets annoying when you get walked on sometimes. Some of the crazy Sh** they talk about is entertaining!

·
Registered
887 Posts
CBs are great to have in your rig....whether youre a trucker or not...
its a priority piece of equipment in our club...great when youre caravaning great distances and especially on the trail...

most of the guys in our club have the cobra 75 hand held...with a bandi mount firestick...i chose to go with the Cobra LTD 25 with a Lil Will magnet mount...the LTD 25 has a bigger speaker...better clarity etc

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, the LTD 25 is pretty good but a visit to a good cb shop with any CB radio and you can be a Super CBer :) I don't care for the speaker since my big rig has a built in external speaker that plugs into the back of the CB. My CB is tuned almost perfectly with my dual antennas. I almost got a 1:1 ratio in my SWR. Its ridiculous trying to tune a twin antenna setup, but in my case, its a must because having one antenna on a big rig means you get a blind spot on one side that doesn't have a antenna.

In a regular car, one antenna is perfect since the antennas extend up high above the roof line of the vehicle. I will be getting a HAM system soon so I can have the best of both worlds. CB for trash talk, and HAM for civilized talk :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
There awesome i have a cobra 29 classic and its awesome. Definitely handy when running the highway and there are cops or an accident ahead. plus lots of truckers will let you run convoy with them and save a little gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I wasn't taking a dig at Truckers by any means. I have a few good friends who drive truck.

The situation I mentioned actually happened to me. I got a good look at her face when I passed her after she tried to run me off the road. She was all skanky looking, thin as hell, and she had all those nasty meth sores on her lips and face. They get so gacked out, they end up sticking the hot end of the pipe in their mouths and burn the **** out of their lips.

That nasty POS is not representative of most truckers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thx for the info I stopped at the loves off exit 162 or something like that right at pecos rd..man your right their stuff is cheaper than any online store I know. the one I looked at the cobra classic 29 with bluetooth was 130 with mail in rebate vs ebay the cheapest I seen was 170.....good info.

Well, in my 4Runner, I use a Cobra 19 and a regular 40 dollar fiberglass antenna but they're tuned properly and I get a good 5 mile site range. On my big rig, I got a Cobra 29 black chrome with a dual antenna setup which consists of two K40 whip antennas properly tuned and peaked and tuned cb radio.

You must properly match your CB radio and antenna in order to achieve a good signal, not mention you don't want to fry your CB radio. The coax must be in measured in multiples of 3ft. Meaning, you can't have a 10 ft coax, it must be, for example: 9, 12, 15, 18 etc.

Theres also different types of coax for the number of antennas. I recommend you visit a CB shop. I see your in Chandler. Go to the Flying J truck stop I believe at exit 136? off I-10. There's a CB shop across the street. I recommend you buy a CB from a truck stop and not a retail store like RadioShack. Truck stops sell the same CB's alot cheaper.

Heres my setup in my big rig.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts