Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys it’s my first post in this forums and i have Cherokee 2001 and i am happy with it with me around 7 months with 52k miles. i like /FJ performance and the space inside and 240hp :rocker:. It is compare to JK wrangler new model (weak power 202hp). I read that FJ has some problems that let me stop and think more its hard for me to decide after I had read these problems like (body rips, broken rear diff. , body cheap and more problems my be they still learning on their cars and I don't know in which model the will fix these problems:mecry:

I go to desert every weekend
thx

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would strongly advise you to buy the new FJ. toyota quality is top of the line much much higher than jeeps (no offence) but a jeep you can drive for about 4 or 5 years before it starts to fall apart. I think a FJ is a great investment its awesome offroad right out of the box and it'll last you for years to come. as for the problems you've heard about i havent heard or seen any of them on my or friends FJ's. FJ's kick ass you should buy one!:rocker:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I dont get airborne with 20 foot jumps....or slam my FJ down 6 foot ledges onto rock slabs and outcroppings.....but not had any issue with body rips (wrinkles) under hood....rear diff breakage or anything else really. Then again I do what some in MOAB and RUBICON would call "light" offroading with the occasional rut, ditch, rock, stump, mudhole, gravel mound, or sandy environment to contend with.......

The instances of the body wrinkles under hood and others are minute compared with number of FJs on road.....just depends on what you are comfortable with. I recommend you read all you can on here and go with what you think is right as it is your money and your vehicle.

For me...I did not see where the wrinkles impacted anything structurally...and differentials are going to break if you hit something with them...that is why they make armor to protect them when you wheel. They were non-players...as if it is not engine problems, tranny problems, suspension problems, safety problems then I am not worried.

Good luck...my 2008 is great and figure the 2009 will be better and bet the items you mention are addressed for that model year. Just my guess.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
As the former owner of an '01 and an '03 Laredo here's some advice, check your rotors! The Cherokee's are prone to rotor warpage and that's not funny. When your steering wheel shimmies as you apply the brakes at speed then you'll know!

Check the web for info on the class action law-suits that Daimler-Chrysler (Jeep) had pending against them for their 'brake issues'.

Buy/lease a Toyota you won't regret it!

Good luck! :)

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you should delete this account and make another with a better username as well ;)
:cheers: +1

I actually am selling my 2004 Jeep Rubicon as we speak (just listed it yesterday). I believe I joined this forum about a month or so ago.

I am making the switch/change to the FJ Cruiser.

I love my Rubicon, however I have always loved FJ's and Land Cruisers, and change is good (and I love the FJ).

To be honest, you can't get a better vehicle then a Toyota.

My Grandmother has had a few with over 350,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Go for the FJ!!!:rocker: Overall my FJ hasn't had any major problems and is an incredible wheeler, much better than the JK.:cheers:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Buy an FJ... :wave:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I've been banging mine pretty hard off road and haven't had a single problem yet. I've lifted the front end and come down pretty hard a few times. After may last trip I was expecting to see some bulges for sure, but to my amazement there was nothing. This is an awesome rig. Soooooo much fun. And a very cool group of enthusiasts that are willing to help with anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want a sure thing, buy a FJ now. According to the news out today, the Hummer may have drunk its last gulp of gas. So it might be reasonable to assume the 2009 FJ may be a few steps short of a slam-dunk.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Buy an FJ...it will help with your spelling! :wave:
Im glad you did it because I wasnt going to:rofl:
But seriously..... is this even a serious question? Do you think that people on an FJ forum would tell you not to buy an FJ?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
its a no brainer

·
Registered
831 Posts
Buy a fj i owned a 07 jk rubicon put 20k on the rig did great off road i would say better than a stock fj with a-trac and locker but the this broke down more than a 50 year old car would. I had it in the shop 20 times no lies, 20 times for roof leaking muliply times suspension making strange noises, stalling omg thats safe ya lets stall when the car is going 70 mph on the high way. Brake faliure while driving, many other problems,

Go with the fj trust me and everyone here at least you will get better trade in value if all else fails. By the way my trade was worth just under 18k.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had been driving a 97 wrangler from 2001 until about two weeks ago when I bought my FJ Special Edition. So far, I think I have made a great decision in buying it. My wrangler had quite a few problems in its later days. I spent $4500 in 2006 just to keep it running, granted I had not been taking very good care of it and used it off road fairly often. The TJs soft top leaked, was freezing in the winter, ripped and bent, and allowed for easy stealing of my cd players. Friends of mine with wranglers were always making repairs also. Toyotas have great engines and seem to be extremely reliable. Visability kind of sucks on the FJ, but is fixed with a $5 set of stick on blind spot mirrors. Can't beat 240hp either. On the trail, the FJ performs outstandingly, the Elocker and A-track are great and there is plenty of clearance and power. Probably have more clearance now than in my jeep, though I have a 3" lift and 33s. Way better highway drive too, with better gas mileage. As far as problems with the fjs rear diff are concerned, those problems have largely been fixed. I assume you are talking about the gear and pinion breaking. This was in the 06 and older FJs and was highly a result of a faulty/weak ring and pinion. The manufacturing of these parts was contracted out to a company that did a shoddy job. If you are an extremely aggressive driver with 35+ tires and a large lift, busting a stock rear diff is probably likely. Go with the FJ, I haven't looked back.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This like going to the "Glock Forum" & asking them what's better a, "Glock" or Springfield Arms "XD"..... or "Chevy Forum" , what's better Chevy or Ford,......it's what you like, what you want to accompish, and what do you really wanna drive. There both great communitie's, JEEP or FJ Group.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
FJ Fever! Catch it!!!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If you want a sure thing, buy a FJ now. According to the news out today, the Hummer may have drunk its last gulp of gas. So it might be reasonable to assume the 2009 FJ may be a few steps short of a slam-dunk.
Yeah, that is true. US roads will be filled with little hybrids before long. Most people just can't afford to drive a gas guzzler with prices getting this high. It won't be long before 5.00 a gallon is a fond memory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts