Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been more and more threads on survival / preppers / bug out vehicle needs. Should we ask the moderator to create a Survival forum for these threads? I personally think a lot of people would be interested since the FJ is quite the Bug Out Vehicle.

How do we go about requesting such a forum?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think a separate Topic for Survival/Preparation would be appropriate.

Those who disagree will be more easily able to ignore us. For the rest of us, it will be easier to find the information WTSHTF. :cheers:

·
Registered
341 Posts
some quotes from your old post...

sounds like a bunch of grab a$$ to me.. Remember all those suckers building bunkers, buying generators and stockpiling food and weapons for Y2K or the year 2000...
There's Prozac for that.... FJ isnt a vehicule for that , anymore then a Ferrari is for out running Zombies..... What's the next step ? Mall Crawling sub-forum ?
Here is the proper vehicle for the end of the world.

Conquest Vehicles | Home

Those in FJ's would be toast.
To specifically answer your question, first you need to post such a request in the "Forum Help" section (I took the liberty of moving this thread there for you). There, it should get the attention of the moderator/admin staff, who will discuss the various merits of the idea and make a decision - but the forum structure is pretty well established by now and you may notice that new sub-forums are pretty few and far between.

NO!

This is an FJ Crusier forum, not a chicken little, the sky is falling forum.
When I want information on subjects other than the FJ, I search for it elsewhere. IMO there is already too much non-FJ content on this forum.

A quick search returned;
Survivalist Forum Survival Gear Reviews and Self Sufficiency Articles
Survival & Emergency Preparedness - Homesteading Today
Survival Prep Dot Net
ZombieSquad

Good luck and keep your head down.

:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
There have been more and more threads on survival / preppers / bug out vehicle needs. Should we ask the moderator to create a Survival forum for these threads? I personally think a lot of people would be interested since the FJ is quite the Bug Out Vehicle.

I totally agree with LeoOshkosh.
I would like to see a sub-forum on this forum for the general topic of 'Emergency Preparedness and Survival' as well.

As for those against the idea....
Do we already have too much stuff on this forum? Perhaps.
Here are sub-forums that come to mind at the moment...
Camping Equipment - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Non FJ classifieds - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Off-Topic Discussion - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Sports / Activities - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Guns / Firearms Discussion - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Employment Ads - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

However, if there is enough reason to legitimize the presence of these, generally off-topic areas, I don't see how a section dedicated to the general topic of 'Emergency Preparedness and Survival' could hurt.

If I really, really need a recipe for that next great meal with friends, should I go to a vehicle forum? No, but since I've already met a bunch of folks that I like and trust and seem to have a combined knowledgebase of extreme proportions, I might check in here to see if any of the chefs that I've met here have any ideas.

Likewise, even if the ideal conclusion is that this is a vehicle forum, and we should be getting our information about 'Emergency Preparedness and Survival' from a forum (or other resource) that is specifically dedicated to that subject matter (which I agree with, generally speaking), I may also want to leverage the community that I'm already part of here on this forum to at least help get me pointed in the right direction if nothing else.

As with any other sub-forum on here, an 'Emergency Preparedness and Survival' sub-forum would not need to be seen as somehow authoritative or anything like that. It could simply be - as with almost everything else here - a place for FJ Cruiser owners/enthusiasts/friends to gather and discuss the topic; sharing with each other what we've picked up along the way (lists of equipment, tips, tricks, hints, guidance, pointers to books, videos and/or other online resources, leads on local survival classes, etc).

Thanks for creating this thread, and putting this idea on the table. :cheers:

·
Registered
298 Posts
people can say what they want about the situation, but the world is going to ****. you can see it more so if you get online and watch foreign news feed instead of ours sense ours is utter crap. we hear about lindsey lohan, while the rest of the world hears about CRAZY stuff that is going on...

but either way, the fj isnt much of a bug out IMHO. well it is, but only 1 way. you could get pretty far into the woods or something with it, and then run out of gas and your a screwed dude. i wish they had a diesel for the fj :(
then it would be a BOV

im all for the idea that something could happen. in a ton of different parts of the world right now you could ask the people and they would say the world is ending. america isnt as invincible as a lot of people like to think. people just choose to believe whats convenient for them.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
...but either way, the fj isnt much of a bug out IMHO. well it is, but only 1 way. you could get pretty far into the woods or something with it, and then run out of gas and your a screwed dude. i wish they had a diesel for the fj :(
then it would be a BOV
Indeed.
The FJC is not in the class of the Conquest Knight XV. If I could afford one of those, it would already be parked in it's own little shelter, out next to the pool/hot tub and tiki bar by the helipad ...on the way through the garden at the edge of the forest, past the extended-stay safe-house, down to my private sub-marina which has channel access to major waterways (never know if you're gonna have to sit it out on-site, or bug out via land, air or water).

However, this thread isn't about comparing the FJC to the KXV. Rather, it's about people that already happen to have FJCs and would like to have an area dedicated to discussing the general subject matter of emergency/disaster preparedness, survival, etc. :cheers:

I know what you mean about how things are changing though. I agree, we've got it pretty good and I think we are relatively safe here, but by no means completely out of harm's way. Whatever we can do, within our means (even if that means pooling together with fiends, relatives and neighbors), to 'be prepared' is a good thing. :rocker:

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts

Ask, and ye shall receive . . . :D

Emergency Preparedness - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Throw a first aid kit, blanket, a couple of bottles of water and & some cornflakes in the cargo compartment with a machete and get over it. Worry about something in your life that you can affect in the here and now.

·
15,824 Posts
Wow, digs up a 2 yr old thread and slams it

Nice 3rd post MrDave. Ya know it's great that your interested in stuffing the largest tire you can under your FJ "in the here and now", but is there something wrong in your world w/ being prepared to take care of yourself and your loved ones if something unforeseeable happens like a natural disaster or two? Been through quite a few myself and I am sure a few other members here have too like Hurricanes, Floods, Snow Storms, Tornados, Quakes, Volcanic Eruptions, Tsunami's, 9/11...

We also use these same "preps" to enjoy the great outdoors, fishing, camping, hunting, kayaking, biking & hiking, surfin' (shaka brah), ridin' around w/ our dogs, shooting our "EVIL" Black Rifles :armed: and yep, you guessed it, we use our FJ's to get us there and back safely so we can watch The Walking Dead on Sunday nights after church. :smoker:

Again, nice intro and Welcome.

Pssst, the zombies aren't real so no worries, just don't tell the others ;)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Throw a first aid kit, blanket, a couple of bottles of water and & some cornflakes in the cargo compartment with a machete and get over it. Worry about something in your life that you can affect in the here and now.
I think you seriously misunderstand 'emergency preparedness', and the point of the Emergency Preparedness section of this forum.

It's not about worrying as you have stated, but about preparing. It's not like any of us think that we can prepare completely for every possibility, but the truth is that those that don't prepare at all will certainly have more to worry about the next time the SHTF. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts