• Car

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Truck

Votes: 37 90.2%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
There was another thread on this same topic, but can't find it just now.

The result of that discussion was that there are so many ways to decide that it boiled down to whatever floats your boat.
There is what your local state calls it (in many states it is a "wagon").
There is the DOT/NHTSA designation (which is either a "truck" because it is meant for occasional off road use, or an "SUV" because it doesn't have a bed for cargo).
There is vernacular which can be whatever is used frequently (a "car" because it is easy to say, or "wagon" or "SUV", or "truck").
Some feel a truck has a separate frame, which recently has become quite an important designation as more and more trucks are moving to unit body construction.

There is no "one" answer, but lots of discussion / debate if wanted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. I am clearly in the minority. The dictionary definition is'nt as specific as I anticipated, so it is possible to call it a truck I guess.
"a large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops."

·
Premium Member
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
1,030 Posts
Wow. I am clearly in the minority. The dictionary definition is'nt as specific as I anticipated, so it is possible to call it a truck I guess.
"a large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops."
So it fits right in
We are the "troops"... Most of us carry lots of "goods"... And I think "materials" can be just about anything
So a TRUCK it is! 😎

·
Registered
235 Posts
With bigger tires, a lift, and a tendency to go off-road it just seems weird calling it a car. A truck is what always sounds more appropriate to me. Or rig. Either/or.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Truck. My FJ has carried more than 90% of the trucks I see on the road. Just this weekend, I had five 6' tables inside, along with a bunch of other stuff. My cargo area shows a lot of wear and tear though with deep gouges, scratches and some cracked panels.

·
Registered
2007 Metallic Sliver FJ, Auto, 285/70/17 STT Pro’s, 3inch Bilstein OME lift SPC upper control arms.
214 Posts
Here are a few names I have called mine not in any particular order,
1: FJ
2: Rig
3: Tank
4: Beast
But to answer your question, I consider it a SUV and not a truck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts