Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Do You Have Bulged / Ripped inner fender wells ???

• YES, I have symptoms (bulges, rips, cracking)

Votes: 368 19.0%
  • NO, My FJC is symptom free - no inner fender problems

Votes: 1,357 69.9%
  • Sorry - Don't know what to look for...

Votes: 216 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 855 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Please bear with me here - The engine bay bulging / ripping issue is very serious, and we need to try and present Toyota with a better idea of how extensive this problem is, to impress upon them the urgency and seriousness of this issue.

This forum claims a membership of over 12,000 - a large number of them actual FJ Cruiser owners. I hereby politely request ALL owners take a minute, and check your inner fender wells, and then post a simple response to this poll. We have had 128 responding to a larger poll, but my suspicion (and that of others here) is their are alot more afflicted vehicles nationwide.

PLEASE HELP TO ASSIST IN RESOLVING THIS PROBLEM - Thank you, Larry

P.S - for pics of what to look for, go to:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33591-photos-only-engine-bay-ripples.html

To determine your build date:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Re: Everyone Please Respond To This Poll

NO, My FJC is symptom free - no inner fender problems. Knock on wood. Not a hardcore offroader. But I should be. :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

Larry, my passenger inner fender has a bulge thats getting progressively worse , even with out off-roading. Feel free to contact me if you want pics, see it in person or need a affidavit.

Word should be out for any general repair, car washes, stereo shops and body shops etc... etc.., to start looking at the inner fender, this way the common folk can be alerted to this.
So tell any business that you think might see a FJ , to ask the owner to check for it. We need a hot line, seriously. Ill do my part by any business I sell shop supplies, to ask any FJ owner you see to look at the inner fender.

·
Registered
894 Posts

I got a rip, Passenger side no bulge. 6-MT
I think this is a much better way of recording the info good call on setting up this poll

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

my fj had bulges but i pick it up tomorrow with the revised inner fenders i have photos if you need em!

·
Registered
872 Posts

Voted for the bulge.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Note to those who might answer "Sorry - Don't know what to look for":

Please ask someone who knows to inspect your vehicle for you - your vehicle's safety could be involved here, so please make an effort to have it checked out - and then answer the poll. There are other threads that have pics of the problem areas - or maybe someone can volunteer their pics and post them on this thread to help those who are not aware of the problem, or don't know what to look for... Thanks again - WE NEED YOUR HELP.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts

Larry, good idea for a more simplistic poll.

You also might want to throw a link to this thread in the "General Discussion" and "Off Topic" sections, since there are quite a few forum members that might not stroll over here into the "Problems/Dealer Service" section.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts

you're going to get skewed numbers if you don't specify "FJ's with the old-style inner fender," otherwise all of the new fender guys will respond "no."

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

I just went out and checked for you. No bulges or rips. I don't do any HARD wheeling.....YET. Almost 1 Yr old, 12K

·
Registered
318 Posts

I HAVE NO SYMPTOMS YET

NO accesories attached yet.
Std size MT's

Bought 10/06
Built ??/06 (mid)
16000 Miles
OF which 54 Miles Off Road, 6000 Towing 4000lbs, The rest is tarmac of varying conditions.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

I have early build 06/2007 (original fender design) and I have small bulges w/surface cracks on both sides. First noticed slight bulge on driver side at around 25-26K miles while in Moab. Got back from Ouray/Moab (4275 miles later) in July and then noticed slight cracks at around 29K miles.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

I've got a driver's side bulge...it's at the dealership right now. The service manager should take a look at it shortly.

21,000 miles - purchased in April 06 (didn't get my build date...so just know that it's a fairly early one)

Only change from factory = 275/70 R17 Goodyear MT/R's...that's it.

1 - 20 of 855 Posts