Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Do You Have Bulged / Ripped inner fender wells ???

• YES, I have symptoms (bulges, rips, cracking)

Votes: 368 19.0%
  • NO, My FJC is symptom free - no inner fender problems

Votes: 1,357 69.9%
  • Sorry - Don't know what to look for...

Votes: 216 11.1%

• Total voters
841 - 855 of 855 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,909 Posts
I have a tear in each side of my engine bay on my 07 FJ cruiser. Do I need to try and fix this or is this just a cosmetic issue? No other problems (doors open just find and everything else works).
I recently noticed tears in my 07 as well, and on very good advice did this easy intervention, apparently well known in the racing community - simply drill holes at either end of the tear. That stops further tearing. Much preferable to welding on braces that affect the crumple zone/safety for collisions.

Not a great pic but you get the idea:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
I recently noticed tears in my 07 as well, and on very good advice did this easy intervention, apparently well known in the racing community - simply drill holes at either end of the tear. That stops further tearing. Much preferable to welding on braces that affect the crumple zone/safety for collisions.

Totally makes sense! If mine get any worse I'll have to do that.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Stop drill, it is an aviation thing.
That is how we stop wings from falling off in flight...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Stop Drill - cool to know the term. How exactly does this keep the wings from falling off...are there frequent metal tears? :surprise
Oh debFjVT, I was trying humor before my first cup of coffee. Late night...:simmadown:

We are constantly inspecting everything as we work. Occasionally we discover a minor anomaly such as a metal crack from stress and under certain circumstances and depending on where, and what the component is, we are allowed to relieve the stress from cracking further by stop drill. It works by distributing that stress to the circle of the hole (think circlip) The trick is to ensure that you don't drill so close and miss the continued crack hidden under the paint. So anticipate where the crack is going and put the hole in its path rather than risk missing a fissure on the other side. TMI- sorry

** Ironic Humor (sad attempt)** A structural member of an airplane wing would not be approved for stop drill. In fact if anything like that crack were to be discovered in a structural member, not only that aircraft, but every aircraft of that design would be grounded until an inspection and determination were to be made. What is called an Airworthiness Directive is issued.

Human air travel is statistically safer than driving an automobile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My name is Jonathan R. Zorawicki, I own since new a Toyota FJ Crusier February 2007. Just read about the condition, and checked my vehicle. There are two distinct cracks developing on both drivers, and passenger sides in the engine bay! Please keep us posted as to what action Toyota plans to do. Jon Zorawicki, Yucca Valley California.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Stop Drill - cool to know the term. How exactly does this keep the wings from falling off...are there frequent metal tears? :surprise
Here's a story from a major aircraft manufacturer.

They were having problems with cracks in a wing skin. The engineers tried several things. None stopped the cracking. One day a guy came up and suggested that they drill a series of small holes along where the cracks developed. They tried it and it worked!

The engineers asked him if he was a structural engineer. Naw he said, I'm the janitor. In 27 years I've never see a piece of toilet paper tear along the holes. :wink

To be serious now, in the Army and 2 years after I was an Aircraft Structure Repairer. 30 years as an aircraft mechanic, and I was always the one called on to do structure repairs and such.

Stop drilling is very common on non structural parts as stated. But firewalls and plexiglass were often stop drilled. One thing that I would like to stress (pun intended) is that after drilling the hole to de-burr it. You don't want any sharp edges or stress risers.

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
Dear Diary,

It's been 12+ years now and my inner fenders are pristine. Could my FJ be a Wednesday build?

mikey

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Oh debFjVT, I was trying humor before my first cup of coffee. Late night...:simmadown:

We are constantly inspecting everything as we work. Occasionally we discover a minor anomaly such as a metal crack from stress and under certain circumstances and depending on where, and what the component is, we are allowed to relieve the stress from cracking further by stop drill. It works by distributing that stress to the circle of the hole (think circlip) The trick is to ensure that you don't drill so close and miss the continued crack hidden under the paint. So anticipate where the crack is going and put the hole in its path rather than risk missing a fissure on the other side. TMI- sorry

** Ironic Humor (sad attempt)** A structural member of an airplane wing would not be approved for stop drill. In fact if anything like that crack were to be discovered in a structural member, not only that aircraft, but every aircraft of that design would be grounded until an inspection and determination were to be made. What is called an Airworthiness Directive is issued.

Human air travel is statistically safer than driving an automobile.
Remember the Chalk's Grumman Mallard that crashed in Miami a few years back? According to a documentary I saw one wing kept having fuel leaks. They found cracks and stop drilled then Prosealed over them, multiple times. Eventually the spar failed in flight.

The airplane was telling them something was wrong and they threw a band-aid on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk's_Ocean_Airways_Flight_101

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Everyone Please Respond To This Poll

Larry, my passenger inner fender has a bulge thats getting progressively worse , even with out off-roading. Feel free to contact me if you want pics, see it in person or need a affidavit.

Word should be out for any general repair, car washes, stereo shops and body shops etc... etc.., to start looking at the inner fender, this way the common folk can be alerted to this.
So tell any business that you think might see a FJ , to ask the owner to check for it. We need a hot line, seriously. Ill do my part by any business I sell shop supplies, to ask any FJ owner you see to look at the inner fender.
Luckily, I don't seem to have this issue. I looked then had my mechanic check when he replaced power steering pump. He will start checking as he has several customers with FJ,s. Thanks for heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
trollut, what year is your FJ? The countermeasure was implemented April of 2008 (a 3rd panel was added to the structure), so if built after then you should be OK. I mean, anything can be made to crack with enough input, but almost all of the reported ones were on '06 and '07 built.

841 - 855 of 855 Posts