Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to lift my FJ, and the number of lift kits availible for them is overwhelming.

I was looking at the ToyTech nonadjustable 3" lift. FJ3-FRCC
(I dont want to go the route of coilovers for now at least)

I was wondering if any of you guys had any problems with them, and if you love them tell me why!

Any information would help!

I plan on using my FJ primarily for driving on the road I live in West VIrginia and our roads are terrible, rough and really curvy. As far as off-road goes, ill mostly be trailriding, No giant rocks mostly mud, medium sized rocks, and water crossing.

So im Looking for something that handles good on-road and gives me the flexibility i need for off-road use.

Parts I already have..

305/75/17 Wrangler MTR
Warn 9.5 ti

Items being purchased...

Fabs Four Winch bumper
(still making up my mind on this)

When I ask the guys from Totech they told me...

The FJ3-FRCC kit is definitely the best lift for $$$ hands down. The TOP1-T comes with the lift. I would recommend 885 coils to support the additional weight you will have in front. Longer rear shocks will give you more flex off road and prevent the stock rear shocks from fully extending.

Agree? Disagree? Let me know please!!!

btw I am selling my 2008 16" Wheels and tires (5)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...els-tires-sensors-1-week-old.html#post1002709

·
Registered
636 Posts
I love mine. No problems at all. I have about 6,000 miles on mine and I have done fire roads, sand dunes, and dry wash beds with some large rocks and I have had no problems what so ever. Even after taking it on some real rough spots got back on the highway with no problem.

The 885's are a medium duty spring so I think they will do fine as far as the winch and bumper combo.

-Dan-

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have that exact kit with the 885's Rides as smooth as stock and sits level. I was worried that the rear may sag with a load, but it held up pretty well on my last trip. I'm pretty happy with the setup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of you pretty much answered my questions, i was worried that the medium springs would be rough but didnt want sag...

Does it increase/decrease body roll?

Did you have to modify you inner fender?

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
I have that kit w/light fronts and OME shocks. I rides great and corners flatter now. I tow a Coleman trailer and have the rear loaded at times. The ToyTec rear springs do well. The front lift has it at the edge of adjustment for alignment though.

Also since I sit tall in the seat I now can't see directly out the rear view mirror due to the front end sitting level now. And the front axle shafts are at a bit more of an angle than I like. If I were to do it over I think I might do it w/o the front spacer.

I do think you'll be happy with the ToyTec lift.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have that kit w/light fronts and OME shocks. I rides great and corners flatter now. I tow a Coleman trailer and have the rear loaded at times. The ToyTec rear springs do well. The front lift has it at the edge of adjustment for alignment though.

Also since I sit tall in the seat I now can't see directly out the rear view mirror due to the front end sitting level now. And the front axle shafts are at a bit more of an angle than I like. If I were to do it over I think I might do it w/o the front spacer.

I do think you'll be happy with the ToyTec lift.
Did you use the Front Diff Drop Kit?

Part Number
TAC-DR-05​
Front Diff Drop Kit # 2
Option #2​
Description:
  • This kit allows you to drop the front differential 1”. reducing the angles on your c.v. axles and boots which can help prolong the life of these components! Our diff drop pucks are machined from high quality 6061 t-6 aluminum, come with grade 8 mounting hardware, and install directions.
  • Fits all '05 Toyota Tacomas And '03-'05 4Runners
    Also fits 2007 FJ Cruiser
  • No shipping and handling if purchased with one of our kits.
THanks for the information I never thought about that..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Off topic a little but what part of WV are you in and are you having a shop install the lift? If so care to share where? I'm looking for s place to have mine installed too and am not far from WV. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have this lift as well. The quote from Toytec is spot on, in my opinion. I used the 885s and sprung for the new rear shocks as well (an additional cost of something like $60). Ride as been good, with little to no sag. Handling feels about the same, as well. I highly recommend this lift.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I also bought the N140's struts and the N71's for the rear and they have been great no noise from them at all.

I didn't have to modify anything, but I am running 285's. I believe you will need to do a body mount chop to run 305's.

The customer service a Toytec is great. They are all very helpful from the sales staff to the tech guys. :bigthumb::bigthumb:for these guys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Off topic a little but what part of WV are you in and are you having a shop install the lift? If so care to share where? I'm looking for s place to have mine installed too and am not far from WV. Thanks!
I live close to Charleston, But I plan on doing the lift myself..
It seems pretty straight forward.

But If i were to pay someone, it would be..

Mountaineer 4x4

(304) 562-9683
Tanner Street
Hurricane, WV 25526

ask for Brian

They quoted me $500 dollars for installation...

They did the lift on my dads Rubicon... (please no comments)... and his f250

The do great work just a little on the expensive side

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question.. Probably a really stupid one...

Does the lift void the warranty?

I know the answer is yes, but are the Toyota people anal about this?

especially since probably at least 1/3 are lifted or modified and most still have the factory warranty

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
Did you use the Front Diff Drop Kit?

Part Number
TAC-DR-05​
Front Diff Drop Kit # 2
Option #2​
Description:
  • This kit allows you to drop the front differential 1”. reducing the angles on your c.v. axles and boots which can help prolong the life of these components! Our diff drop pucks are machined from high quality 6061 t-6 aluminum, come with grade 8 mounting hardware, and install directions.
  • Fits all '05 Toyota Tacomas And '03-'05 4Runners
    Also fits 2007 FJ Cruiser
  • No shipping and handling if purchased with one of our kits.
THanks for the information I never thought about that..
I haven't installed the diff drop kit, but am thinking about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have this lift as well. The quote from Toytec is spot on, in my opinion. I used the 885s and sprung for the new rear shocks as well (an additional cost of something like $60). Ride as been good, with little to no sag. Handling feels about the same, as well. I highly recommend this lift.
Thanks, if the shocks are only $60 then its well worth it, i thought they were like $200..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also bought the N140's struts and the N71's for the rear and they have been great no noise from them at all.

I didn't have to modify anything, but I am running 285's. I believe you will need to do a body mount chop to run 305's.

The customer service a Toytec is great. They are all very helpful from the sales staff to the tech guys. :bigthumb::bigthumb:for these guys.
N140s, N71s ?

How much are they? and How much of a difference do they make?

For around here I need a Fast Acting shock (Shocks are more Important than Springs) esp on washboarded backcountry roads..

·
Registered
504 Posts
I really doubt u'll need the diff drop kit. Most people arent running it and once u get that bumper on and the winch, the cv angles should be fine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
N140s, N71s ?

How much are they? and How much of a difference do they make?

For around here I need a Fast Acting shock (Shocks are more Important than Springs) esp on washboarded backcountry roads..
Both are OME. Toytec sells them also recommended them. The N71's are for the rear and extend further than the 141's that the OME lift kit usually comes with.
I have taken my rig out on washboard out in the desert and it is fine. These are no baja style runs by no means. If you want something like that I would look into the Icons or the SAW's but those are full coilovers.
Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love mine... This is my 2nd toytec lift. 1st one was on my 02 taco Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

This is an older pic. I have since painted the wings and changed tires. I stuck with the procomp shocks on Doug's suggestion.... I like them. My father-in-law has a stock FJ and it took him 2 months:lol: to figure out I had a lift....:lol:.... He never could tell the ride difference:rocker:

·
Registered
577 Posts
(They quoted me $500 dollars for installation...[/QUOTE]) :thinkerg:

Do the lift yourself, did mine over the weekend, took about 2-1/2 hours, very simple, even had time for a few :cheers:.

Rides great, looks good .. i went OME all around, not toytec. running 285's also with no rubbing at all, it sits proud now. 886's in front, 895's in rear and not as much body roll...

:cheers:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have 884s/895s with the stock Bilsteins. They work great together.
I got more than 3" in the front. I was worried about CV joints before adding the bumper/winch. Sits nice now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts